View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kennedy Half Dollar 1964? Help
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:29 am 
Penguin

I have noticed that a lot of gaff coin made from Johnson or Schoolcraft are dated 1964. I'm wondering where can you get new 1964 that I could use to match with the gimmick coin. What I have are the new 2004 half dollar and I'm a little concert that the coin will look different because I think the newer coin feels a little thinner than the older coin. I'm considering getting a flipper coin as well. Are Johnson Flipper any good? Also, does any one have Copper/Silver/Brass from Johnson? I'm wanting to get all these gimmick set but still thinking whether I should save money and get one from Jamie. Thanks for helping guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:17 am 

Save money *and* buy from Jamie? It should really say "save money *or* buy from Jamie" :lol:

I don't know what to do about the 1964 thing. On C/S/B, I have both. The Johnson's are very good. Jamie's is much nicer looking. I have the Walking Liberty/South African Dime set, but the handling is virtually identical except for the fine details like the teflon lining to make things a tiny bit quieter. If done carefully it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Post subject: Gimicks
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:39 am 
Penguin

Don't spend too much time worrying about the dates on your coins. In 20 years no one has ever noted the date when a coin has been switched out for a gimmick. I've only even made mention of the date when it comes to a simple mentalism effect.
The only thing that I would suggest looking out for is Bicentennial halves. They could cause you some trouble.
Whenever I go to the bank, I always ask if anyone has any halves after I've made my initial transaction. Sometimes I get 10 or 20, sometimes just 2 or 3, and sometimes none at all. Just ask every week. If you're that serious in looking for a specific date, I would say that that is your best bet. Or you could find the coin dealer at the nearest flea market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

With dates being seen very easily as on a half dollar or a quarter, I make sure my gaff coin dates match my switch coin dates. Maybe on a penny, dime, or a nickel you can get away with dates not matching, but anything higher I make sure they match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:16 pm 

I heard a good suggestion from Jay Sankey's lecture at WMS this week. After you borrow a coin, switch it for one with a date that matches your gaff, *then* hand it to someone (else) to remember the date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:01 pm 
Team Penguin

The 1964 American coins, such as Half-Dollars, Quarters, Dimes, and Silver Dollars, were made of 90% silver pre 1964 and the year 1964. In 1965, they took all the silver out of the coins. They have a different feel and sound, and if it is a legit 1964, it has no copper in the middle, whereas anything 1965 or later did. At a coin shop, a good condition 1964 Kennedy Half dollar might run you about 5.50 to 7.00 dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:41 pm 

Close. The '65-'69 coins are still 40% silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:47 pm 
Team Penguin

exodus wrote:
Close. The '65-'69 coins are still 40% silver.

Oh yeah... Forgot about those. I have been reaserching coins for almost as long as I have been doing magic, and I forgot about those...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:32 pm 
Team Penguin

Dont bother with the bank in this situation. im lucky enough to have a coin shop nearbye. i went there and asked for a half dollar and the man dumped a big bucket of them at me.