View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:56 pm 
born to perform.

Ben,

Again, what we are all saying is not meant to discourage you, but to give you insight on practical experience. Everyone wants to see you succeed. You just have to realize it is a process you go through. In many respects my daughter was extremely lucky because she had so many factors going for her that not all children have.

She had a great group of wonderful magicians supporting her and encouraging her all along the way (and whether or not you realize it that IS what I am trying to do although at times it may seem the opposite) giving her feedback, which is so important. She has a great resource to always fall back on for that support and advice when needed. Her background in volunteering only helped to enhance her performance when working with children. Knowing how to respond is a tool you must learn when performing for children. Also, she is female, which means she is a bit more of a novelty. Unfair advantage, quite possibly, but she works hard to prove that advantage is not taken lightly.

Here is a key piece of advice that is invaluable....whenever a magician tries to help you take everything in they say. Some may be valuable, some may not be, but take it all in and think about it for a few days. Think how it may be of importance, how it can help you in your situation. Most importantly, when a magician believes that you are truly interested in your art, and sees that passion, they are going to do everything they can to help you. At that point you will stand out from the others and they will want to help make you a success.

There is a young man in our SYM group that I would do whatever I could to help. Many kids come and go through the program, but then you will see that one kid's eyes light up when he performs. It isn't a passing phase, he is truly bit by the bug. THAT is what every magician is looking for....the next generation that is going to carry on the art of magic. Become that next generation by being the best you can be and showing everyone that you are up to the challenge!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:59 pm 
Penguin

you guys are right. i will start doing that type of stuff. also, is bribery an ok thing. Like from oriental trading if i buy for $20 72 magic sets and during the warm up i say that whoever is the best behaved and is the most enthusiastic and has the most fun will get a prize after the show and then i give everyone a magic set with a tattoo (magic tattoo also from oriental trading) and a business card attached to the box. Im not saying that that would be my 1 and only way to get the kids under control. But i think that would help a lot and do you think thats ok or do you think that to the parents you look desperate to find a way to keep them controled and you dont know anything about children. Thanks

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:04 pm 
Penguin

Kristenl,

Thank you so much for all of yor help and i really am trying to be a "real" magician that other magicians would like to help.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

Personally, now I am talking as a parent, not a magician--- the bribery thing just doesn't work for me. It sets a bad example. Now, others may disagree. Again, I'm speaking as a parent. I expect my child to behave because of the way she was raised. I wouldn't like for someone to set a precedence saying, "if you're good, you get this".

Now, I do believe in the reward sytem. If you were not to put the idea of a "bribe" out there and just rewarded the kids just because you felt like it then that would be different.

A few other things to note-- product liability. Give something out, you're responsible. Which means if a kid chokes on something, sticks its up their nose, etc. the parent can sue YOU (or in your case your parents). Think it won't happen--wrong. It can. Hurt a child, no matter how innocently during a performance, again guess whose getting sued...your parents.

Even as a youth perfomer you must have insurance. The cost is $200 per year. I would not allow my daughter to perform without it. I've worked too hard to have what I do to allow someone else to take it away. The only insurance policy I was able to locate that would insure a minor performer was Performers of the US. The policy runs every April to March. (Which reminds me I need to send in my renewal). They will complete a Certificate for you at no extra charge. Now, I do not use the insurance as a marketing tool. I do not even let the client know we carry insurance unless specifically asked.

Back to the giveaways, most magicians are not going to tell you what they are giving away, just as they are not going to tell you what their shows consists of. It is part of their act. It is something they have worked up as part of the 'whole package'.

What you do want to do if find something that gets your name out there, is cost effective and doesn't break the piggy bank, and is something that the audience members will hopefully hold on to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:27 pm 
Penguin

Like what? does your daughter give anything out? also, if i went up tp my parents and said i need insurance and explain why, they would probably say somehting like "you dont need that" or laugh or something. They wouldnt be like you and say your right, what was i thinking and then go ahead and get it for me. The best thing they would say is you can get it with your own money but they probably wouldnt even say that. Now im not going to give out magic sets due to that problem. But, during my show, what could happen that can get them hurt? Thanks'

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:44 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Like what? does your daughter give anything out?

Again, that would be like giving away a part of her show. This is one of those times that you have to put on your thinking cap. Brainstorm, write ideas out. No one gave my daughter this information. This was something we had to come up with on our own through research. You are asking for shortcuts, and I'm not going to let you off that easy! :)

Quote:

also, if i went up tp my parents and said i need insurance and explain why, they would probably say somehting like "you dont need that" or laugh or something. They wouldnt be like you and say your right, what was i thinking and then go ahead and get it for me. The best thing they would say is you can get it with your own money but they probably wouldnt even say that.

Well, this is a risk that you just have to understand is out there. I know a lot of magicians that don't have insurance, and I know a lot who wouldn't perform without it. I am one that wouldn't let my daughter perform without it.

Quote:
Now im not going to give out magic sets due to that problem. But, during my show, what could happen that can get them hurt?

Again, this depends on your show. You have to have the mentality that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. You use fire, they want to mimick you, you put a balloon in your mouth, they put a balloon in their mouth. You use water and spill some on the floor, they fall, etc., etc. Anything YOU do that causes a reaction of something else to happen makes you liable. You damage something in someone's house, guess whose paying for it?

If you want to do public events, some places will insist on proof of insurance before allowing you to perform. If you don't have insurance, you may lose those jobs.

With that said, there is always the huge debate if you really need insurance. Everyone has to make that personal choice. As long as you and your parents are aware of this risk and our willing to take it, then that is your personal decision to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:46 pm 
born to perform.

Ben,

Sounds like your doing a lot of work on your show. Keep it up. Your idea of laying the coloring book on the floor and having the kids rub colors on it is Dangerous!! Kids will have that thing torn appart. Other then that it looks good. Keep studying and improving your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:02 pm 
Penguin

thanks both of you.

coendog13,
I guess your right maybe ill stick with having them just rub it all over the colors on them.

kristenl,

my first idea for a goody-bag was (again from oriental trading) getting mini coloring books (comes from magic coloring book) and i can tell them that they can try to make the magic happen and have it get colored in by itself. I guess im going to have to try without insurance and i will have to see where the road takes me. (with the chick pan i was using flash paper but now i think i will just take that out of it and maybe just have the kids put the "magic dust" in the pan.) Thanks

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:13 pm 
born to perform.

Magic dust is a MUCH better idea when performing for kids, in my personal opinion. Although, there are magicians that will use flash paper for kids. To me, again, that is just taking an unnecessary risk no matter how cool it looks! I personally love the look and think its great for older crowds.

Okay, now think how will the coloring books benefit you? How will you get the bang for your buck? Is that going to be money well spent, or is it a usuable item that will quickly make its way to the bottom of the toy chest never to be seen again by a parent ,who will be the one hiring you?

I'm not saying its a bad idea, its a good start, I'm just trying to get you thinking in all kinds of directions. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:15 pm 
born to perform.

Thats the other thing i forgot, Ben, look into public liability insurance, very important, even more so with children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:19 pm 
Penguin

your right, do you know where i can get something like a customized deck of cards or something cool (and cheaper) like that. is a tattoo like i said before to small of a thing to give out? Wow, i just thought of something, is it possible to make a tatto with like a magic wand or a top hat type of picture and then your name and number? that would be good (in my opinion) thanks

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:21 pm 
born to perform.

Now you are definitely more on the right track because you always want to get your name out as much as possible. However, how permanent is that? Here today--- gone tomorrow.....

You are definitely thinking more in line. The cards--- way too expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:43 pm 
Penguin

i was thinking about business card magnets but that is like handing a kid your card, they will either drop it or throw it out. What about smiley face pencils that say going down the pencil "The great Ben" Phone number

Its 24 pencils for 5 dollars so for 10 bucks i can get 48 which is good enough to start. I think that sounds pretty good. what about you?

Heres a link:
Click here

look at the product. thanks

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:58 pm 
born to perform.

What do YOU think about that Ben? Is that something you can work into your act as a giveway? Also, before putting your home phone number on something like that do you have a cell phone number that you can use? Preferably one of your parents who will act as your initial contact?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:05 pm 
Penguin

i think that for the magic coloring book routine when theres the one person getting all dresed up, i give everyone a pencil because they are all colorful pencils and they pretend to be drawing with it and stuff like that. Also, when i said phone number i meant my cell phone number not the house.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next