View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First restaurant gig cant wait!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:44 am 
Penguin

I got my first restaurant gig today and my audition went really well.I wrote a letter to them last week with the intention of following it up with a phone call(cold calling wasnt really working for me so I wrote so that they about me before I called them) but they phoned me friday night and asked me to come in to discuss it.I went down showed them my stuff and they hired me there and then.Im there this thursday so I can get used to the way the restaurant workes then every friday night with saturday if I feel like it.Im 7.30-9.30 so if any of you are in sheffield visit the ranmoor tandoori this thursday or fridays after that and you can see me work.

Thanks
Dan

P.S.have you got any restaurant horror storys if so post them here and we can all have a chuckle at each others mishaps.

P.P.S. 250th post whoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 pm 

Quote:
if any of you are in sheffield visit the ranmoor tandoori this thursday or fridays

Could you be a bit more explicit? Where the h e ll is "Sheffield?" Could be is one of several countries and or states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:39 pm 
Penguin

Yeah sorry about that its Sheffield England South Yorkshire

Sorry about that
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm 
Team Penguin

paddy wrote:
Quote:
if any of you are in sheffield visit the ranmoor tandoori this thursday or fridays

Could you be a bit more explicit? Where the h e ll is "Sheffield?" Could be is one of several countries and or states.

I doubt thier are many with that restaurant though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Popchris wrote:

I doubt thier are many with that restaurant though...
Yeah, but how many people even know what the place is? I had never heard of it before. So it wouldn't be ridiculous to think that it could be in more than one place. Paddy asked a very logical question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm 
born to perform.

I had but then in all fairness im from the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm 
Team Penguin

I never doubted it was logical. It was just kinda one of those things like, "If you live here, you know. If you don't, then you don't.". It was a completely fair and good question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:23 pm 
born to perform.

Just what i was going to say, he said if you live near come and see me, therefore if you dont know where it is, you wont live near enough to see him anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm 
Team Penguin

How old are you? I want to get a job at a restaraunt, but I am still looking into laws to see if it is legal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That's not really true. There are restaurants close to where I live that I've never heard of until recently. And I know there are still some that I'm sure I haven't heard of. You could live near a Sheffield, and have no idea of all of the restaurants there.

Think about this. New York has thousands of restaurants. Do you think New Yorkers know every restaurant there? I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Popchris wrote:
How old are you? I want to get a job at a restaraunt, but I am still looking into laws to see if it is legal...
It is. But just because it is legal does not mean that you should.

The reason it's legal is because you will be an independent contractor. Being such, you aren't bound by child labor laws. This is the same reason why children can be actors.

But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Maturity is something that comes with age, as well is knowledge. Until you possess both, you shouldn't even think of applying to be a restaurant magician. This is not an insult, so please don't take it as such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:43 am 
Penguin

Good luck with the job, hope all goes well!

Here's a horror story since you asked

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 90&forum=5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:40 am 
Penguin

Guys sorry about the confusion and to be fair to paddy it was a fair question i should have been more precise in my first post so it was my bad.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:09 pm 
Team Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
Popchris wrote:
It is. But just because it is legal does not mean that you should.

The reason it's legal is because you will be an independent contractor. Being such, you aren't bound by child labor laws. This is the same reason why children can be actors.

But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Maturity is something that comes with age, as well is knowledge. Until you possess both, you shouldn't even think of applying to be a restaurant magician. This is not an insult, so please don't take it as such.

I will still look into the laws, bieng as I am not sure how much truth there is to that. (That isn't an insult either.)

I have been doing magic for 5 years, and trust me, I have plenty of experience working walk-around. I would rather not get into it now, but I think that I could pull it off.

I know there is still a lot more to learn, but no matter what you do there always will be, and you can't learn without taking risks and everybody has to start somewhere.

Thank you for your input though, Fallingblood and I respect your opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:51 pm 
Penguin

Well I'm back from my first night and I'm still alive so that's obviously a good thing.It went really well and I loved every second of it.It was a little slow but the manager assures me that's because its was mid week and i'v been in at weekends and its been packed so I believe him on that.

The thing that surprised me was that the effect that went down the best and I ended up doing at most table was not my ACR ending with wallet then omni deck/solid deception,it wasnt color burn or freakey it was those reliable sponge balls and I think anyone who isn't using them should be.

I planed on giving out business cards at the end of my performance but most tables asked me if I had a card before I had a chance to give them one.

I think I'm going to like my new job at the restaurant.

Dan