View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Seen it before"
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:35 pm 
born to perform.

what if someone has previously seen the trick you are performing and reveals it to other onlookers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Entertain them then. Make them want to watch your magic because it's entertaining.

Post subject: Re: "Seen it before"
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:52 pm 
Penguin

Philal wrote:
what if someone has previously seen the trick you are performing and reveals it to other onlookers?

He's a heckler then. Treat him like any other heckler.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:57 pm 
born to perform.

dummyisdumb wrote:
Philal wrote:

Yeah!
kick'em on the rear side! :D
LOL!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:24 pm 
Penguin

wreksy wrote:
dummyisdumb wrote:
Philal wrote:

Yeah!
kick'em on the rear side! :D
LOL!

Lol, good one! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:37 pm 
Penguin

Buy only NEW effects :)..Kidding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:40 am 
Penguin

Learn or create a different/better presentation for it, and slightly change the 'flow' of the trick in method or moves. MAke it yours. The reason they probably catch you is the way you are performing it.

I have run into people that have seen the tricks on blaine or that have seen another magician before. And sometimes our tricks in the basic sense are the same, but because I perform them differently and usually change them up some, the audience cant tell.. it is new to them.

Be original, be you, be entertaining.

And just because one might have seen the trick before doesnt mean they know the secret. So as long as you make it seem new, by doing as mentioned, there should be less of this problem.

People really need to learn to deal with hecklers, or better yet prevent them. And until then, why give advice on a subject you know nothing about.

If you give them (hecklers) an opening, they will take it no matter how small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

DavieG wrote:
Learn or create a different/better presentation for it, and slightly change the 'flow' of the trick in method or moves. MAke it yours. The reason they probably catch you is the way you are performing it.

I have run into people that have seen the tricks on blaine or that have seen another magician before. And sometimes our tricks in the basic sense are the same, but because I perform them differently and usually change them up some, the audience cant tell.. it is new to them.

Be original, be you, be entertaining.

And just because one might have seen the trick before doesnt mean they know the secret. So as long as you make it seem new, by doing as mentioned, there should be less of this problem.

People really need to learn to deal with hecklers, or better yet prevent them. And until then, why give advice on a subject you know nothing about.

If you give them (hecklers) an opening, they will take it no matter how small.

Exactly, make everything original with your own style. Always creat your own patter, That will help a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

There are more than 1 way to do various sleights, whether they are color changes, DL's, Controls etc. The core of the routine may be the same, the ultimate effect may be the same. But for most laypeople if you change the outer workings, the patter, and the timing to make it unique, and personal, it will look different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 pm 
born to perform.

clarissa35f wrote:
There are more than 1 way to do various sleights, whether they are color changes, DL's, Controls etc. The core of the routine may be the same, the ultimate effect may be the same. But for most laypeople if you change the outer workings, the patter, and the timing to make it unique, and personal, it will look different.

Exactly, Although you said it way better... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:49 am 
born to perform.

wreksy wrote:
clarissa35f wrote:

Exactly, Although you said it way better... :cry:

There are more than 1 way to say the same thing. The core of the message may be the same, the ultimate message may be the same. But to most lay people, if you change the outer words, the patter, and the timing to make it unique, it will look different too :P

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:31 am 
born to perform.

Philal wrote:

Heckler: He's making you pick a certain card. Magicians can do that.
You: Hmm? What was that sir?
Heckler: You're making her pick a particular card right?
You: No. . . but that's a good idea. Mind if I borrow it later?
At this point you transition to an effect that doesn't require a force (somethign with a signed card is ideal). Now you've eliminated the possibility that he's right, because he simply can't be. He shall now sut up.

I once started an effect with "I know it's cliche but, pick a card any card."
A fellow at the table announced, "I know this trick!"
Since it was only at the pick a card phase, I wasn't sure what trick he thought I was doing. So I replied, "How does it end?"

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:41 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
Philal wrote:

Heckler: He's making you pick a certain card. Magicians can do that.
You: Hmm? What was that sir?
Heckler: You're making her pick a particular card right?
You: No. . . but that's a good idea. Mind if I borrow it later?
At this point you transition to an effect that doesn't require a force (somethign with a signed card is ideal). Now you've eliminated the possibility that he's right, because he simply can't be. He shall now sut up.

I once started an effect with "I know it's cliche but, pick a card any card."
A fellow at the table announced, "I know this trick!"
Since it was only at the pick a card phase, I wasn't sure what trick he thought I was doing. So I replied, "How does it end?"

" ... You find my card." lol

I love to do card magic, I avoid Pick a card tricks to the best extent I can, unless they have strong endings like Eddie Fechter's "That's it." or "Triumph". Otherwise i go with 4 ace tricks, or packet tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:55 pm 
Emperor Penguin

If they think you're making them pick a card, hand them the deck, have them take out a card. You fan out the deck, they put their card back in the fan anywhere they want, they shuffle the cards, and as soon as they hand the cards back you can control where their card is. No palming, steals, or anything of that nature. //Fan Control by Joel Paschall// Yeah, it's that awesome. I'll put up a review here in a minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:56 pm 
Team Penguin

however if they say "I've seen this before"...it is usually humorous for you to respond with "Really?...so have I!"