View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Busking Materials
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
What are some good busking materials, and good busking routines? I do the Gazzo Cups and Balls routine and want to get this pouch http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=61 and this table looks nice http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=12. Does anyone have any suggestions about anything? Are these props good quality? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:33 pm 

EVERYTHING they make is good. The table seems a bit pricey at first, but unless you want to assemble the parts and make one yourself, it's still worth it. With some effort on your part and assuming you already have the tools, you can put together a passable table for under $100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Man. Not to discredit all that Gazzo has done for street performing, but why does it seem like everyone who wants to steet perform with magic in the past three years has decided to perform the cups and balls (it isn't a street performing pre-requisite you know) and ends up using Gazzo's routine?

I swear. There are more than enough effects out there that every busking magician on the planet doesn't need to be performing Gazzo's cups and balls routines. Or the cups and balls for that matter. Heh.

Sorry if I sound like a douchbag guys. I just see it so often. It's become a cliche. Like I have my Invisible Deck and my Raven.........

These days I hear I have my Gazzo Pouch, my Gazzo Routine, and a nice set of cups..........

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:55 pm 
Emperor Penguin

They are very nice routines, that is one reason. But I agree, too many people are doing it. But, if you really think about it, does it really matter to laymen? Of the small, small group of buskers, how many of them are going to perform for the same person more than once? Not very often. So most people won't even notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:32 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
wayno wrote:
Man. Not to discredit all that Gazzo has done for street performing, but why does it seem like everyone who wants to steet perform with magic in the past three years has decided to perform the cups and balls (it isn't a street performing pre-requisite you know) and ends up using Gazzo's routine?

I swear. There are more than enough effects out there that every busking magician on the planet doesn't need to be performing Gazzo's cups and balls routines. Or the cups and balls for that matter. Heh.

Sorry if I sound like a douchbag guys. I just see it so often. It's become a cliche. Like I have my Invisible Deck and my Raven.........

These days I hear I have my Gazzo Pouch, my Gazzo Routine, and a nice set of cups..........

8)

I assume people are bringing the classic to the streets because it is such a fun trick to watch and perform and leaves a lot of room for comedy. Gazzo's routine is pretty much the only routine designed for the street. When busking, it is almost like performing stage magic, so cards are basically out of the question. People perform it because it is a great street trick and invites people to tip because of the hat. I think a lot of people are now seeing how great Gazzo really is and soon everyone will be carrying an egg bag and tossed out deck because he's that good. Gazzo was inspirational to many buskers. I love the cups and balls and am happy to take it to the streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:34 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
EVERYTHING they make is good. The table seems a bit pricey at first, but unless you want to assemble the parts and make one yourself, it's still worth it. With some effort on your part and assuming you already have the tools, you can put together a passable table for under $100

How? What would I need? Obviously I'd need a close- up mat, but where could I find one big enough? I thought it was pricey too, so if you could help me out that'd be great! :D

Post subject: Re: Busking Materials
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
What are some good busking materials, and good busking routines? I do the Gazzo Cups and Balls routine and want to get this pouch http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=61 and this table looks nice http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=12. Does anyone have any suggestions about anything? Are these props good quality? Thanks!

There is no magic company with leather products that surpass the quality of Frank Starinski's. That is undoubtably the most highly recommended magician's pouch in the world.

Post subject: Re: Busking Materials
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:

There is no magic company with leather products that surpass the quality of Frank Starinski's. That is undoubtably the most highly recommended magician's pouch in the world.

Is Starinski with theambitiouscard.com?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:52 am 

No, but Starsinic is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:14 am 
Emperor Penguin

adjones wrote:
They are very nice routines, that is one reason. But I agree, too many people are doing it. But, if you really think about it, does it really matter to laymen? Of the small, small group of buskers, how many of them are going to perform for the same person more than once? Not very often. So most people won't even notice.

I would imagine it happens frequently amongst regular summertime travellers if they are the type to check out the local culture.

But I have nothing to base the assumption on other than my own travelling with family when I was a kid. I've seen a handfull of very similar juggling routines before across Canada and the U.S.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:49 pm 

Bicycle12 wrote:
DaveV wrote:

How? What would I need? Obviously I'd need a close- up mat, but where could I find one big enough? I thought it was pricey too, so if you could help me out that'd be great! :D

No, you don't need a close-up mat. As you said with Gazzo, this is almost like stage magic. Close-up pads are good for practice and dinner tables but have no place on the streets. You need bigger, much bigger. But if you've seen Gazzo work you know that.

Find a restaurant supply store and buy a wooden tray stand ($30, or free if you can find a damaged one at a restaurant). Get the 38" "Tall" if you can. Cut off the webbing and replace them with adjustable luggage straps ($5 Wal-Mart). This allows you to raise and lower the table to suit you. If you get the tall stand and use the straps to lower it, the base gets wider, more stable, and can take a larger top. That's your next step. Buy a piece of plywood (3/8" works. 1/2" is too heavy, 1/4" is too light) about 24x48" ($15 at Home Depot) and have them cut it down to about 20x32 depending on what you think you will like. Don't cut it so narrow that it won't fit nicely on your stand. Buy some rubber padding while you're at Home Depot ($10) and then go back to Wal-Mart and get a half yard of Naugahyde, Felt, or whatever surface suits your fancy($2). I chose Naugahyde for my Europe trip as it rained frequently and I didn't want it to get soggy. Put it all together with carpet tacks or wood moulding.

You now have a large, padded surface and an adjustable stand that will work just about anywhere. Fix it up with eyebolts and a spare luggage strap, and maybe some angle brackets to help attach the top to the folded up stand and you have a portable stage show for under $100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:28 am 
born to perform.

Thanks DaveV. I have to know though, is the table surface as functional for card spreads and such as a mat is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:38 am 

Maybe not Naugahyde, although it worked for me. My latest surface is professional poker cloth, so yes cards spread perfectly on it as you'd expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:01 am 
born to perform.

He DaveV, I found this http://www.magictricks.com/accessories/closepadxl.htm , would it work as a surface for the table?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:37 am 

Looks pretty good. The size is a bit small for a busking table though. 16" won't cover the typical tray stand dimensions. You're on the right track though, although for that price a yard of fabric (36"x52") will cover a lot more. It should work if you just centered it on a table top but of course it wouldn't go all the way to the edges.