View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Do a Trick!"
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

It's not the general idea that annoys me, just the fact that a lot of people say this and it sounds like a command... like they are ORDERINGme to do an effect or two... How do I send the message across that I don't entertain with such a rude command without sounding like the person's mother or just giving in and doing magic?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:15 pm 

Do you know them? Do you know their occupation? Sometimes you can make a joke about it by turning the situation around.

"You're a doctor, right? Do a surgery!"

"You work at McDonalds? Make me a hamburger!"

Get the idea? The more outrageous the better. If you're working professionally (this won't really work if you're just messing around with friends) then using a joke like this will get the point across that it's what you do to get paid.

If you're a walk around "Criss Angel" or "Blaine" type, just tell them you can't because your camera crew is off today.

Or, "Dogs do tricks, I perform MAGIC" (you can substitute another, more colorful word in place of "dogs" depending on the maturity level of your group)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:32 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you for your help! Great suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Do you know them? Do you know their occupation? Sometimes you can make a joke about it by turning the situation around.

"You're a doctor, right? Do a surgery!"

"You work at McDonalds? Make me a hamburger!"

Get the idea? The more outrageous the better. If you're working professionally (this won't really work if you're just messing around with friends) then using a joke like this will get the point across that it's what you do to get paid.

If you're a walk around "Criss Angel" or "Blaine" type, just tell them you can't because your camera crew is off today.

Or, "Dogs do tricks, I perform MAGIC" (you can substitute another, more colorful word in place of "dogs" depending on the maturity level of your group)

Lol I work at McDonalds..Go moderate a forum!

That's an awesome idea though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:04 am 
born to perform.

Often, when I get the "do a trick!" command, I reply with the same tone and enthusiasm that they used with, "give me money!"

Basically, it's the same principle as the "make me a hamburger" suggestion given earlier in this string. Or, I tell them I get $125 an hour to do tricks, the minimum is two hours and if they - now the customer - want just one trick, it will still cost them the minimum fee of $250.

So far, no one has decided that a single impromptu trick is worth $250; but I'm hopeful.

...And you can make up whatever amount per hour you want here or use a "per night" total. You get the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 pm 
born to perform.

I like that a lot. Thank you for your suggestion, I am eager to try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

RadioRob wrote:
Often, when I get the "do a trick!" command, I reply with the same tone and enthusiasm that they used with, "give me money!"

Basically, it's the same principle as the "make me a hamburger" suggestion given earlier in this string. Or, I tell them I get $125 an hour to do tricks, the minimum is two hours and if they - now the customer - want just one trick, it will still cost them the minimum fee of $250.

So far, no one has decided that a single impromptu trick is worth $250; but I'm hopeful.

...And you can make up whatever amount per hour you want here or use a "per night" total. You get the idea.

I do see what people are saying. If they ran into Pavarotti, they would never even think of saying.." Sing an aria." I am pretty sure if they ran into David Coppperfield at some restaurant , after gushing and fawning, and getting his autograph they would say... " Do a trick!"

What I wonder about is.... would David Copperfield do one? I know he won't pull out Boxes or a Buzzsaw, but would he do the Rubberband trick? or Vanishing hanky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:48 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Clarissa- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwU2MdQ3c_0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:54 pm 
Team Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:
RadioRob wrote:

I do see what people are saying. If they ran into Pavarotti, they would never even think of saying.." Sing an aria." I am pretty sure if they ran into David Coppperfield at some restaurant , after gushing and fawning, and getting his autograph they would say... " Do a trick!"

What I wonder about is.... would David Copperfield do one? I know he won't pull out Boxes or a Buzzsaw, but would he do the Rubberband trick? or Vanishing hanky?

Yeah, he would. I have never met him, but my buddy over at my local magic shop did and asked him to do a trick to test that. Apparently he does some simple stuff, like what you or me or anyone else would do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm 
Team Penguin

adjones wrote:

I just saw that episode a few hours before!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:43 pm 
born to perform.

"Do a trick"
Okay. . . Do you have $5 on you?

Yes: Take bill, and place it in your pocket "Thant's a good one isn't it." followed by a trick involving the bill.

No: "No trick for you!" Gets a laugh if you say it right. If you've ever seen the Labat Blue commercial where the bear wants to buy beer at the convenience store - that's how to say it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:51 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
clarissa35f wrote:
RadioRob wrote:

Yeah, he would. I have never met him, but my buddy over at my local magic shop did and asked him to do a trick to test that. Apparently he does some simple stuff, like what you or me or anyone else would do.

That was the point I tried to make once before. That there is nothing wrong with giving away free magic. David Copperfield wouldn't demand money to do a small trick. And since that is the kind of professionalism I aspire to, neither would I.

Some people might say " well, he can afford to give away free magic." I think they put the cart before the horse. he can afford to give it away, because he loves it so much he shares it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

David Copperfield, for the most part, just doesn't do magic for anyone. If I were to stop him on the street and tell him to show me a magic trick, he most likely wouldn't. There are situations where he will, but no magician can ever be expected to always perform magic and a moments notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:25 pm 
Emperor Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
David Copperfield, for the most part, just doesn't do magic for anyone. If I were to stop him on the street and tell him to show me a magic trick, he most likely wouldn't. There are situations where he will, but no magician can ever be expected to always perform magic and a moments notice.

Just out of curiosity- how exactly do you know he wouldn't do a trick for you if you stopped him on the streets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
born to perform.

Personally I think it depends on the situation. If I ran into him, and just said..' do a trick!" he most likely wouldn't. But I think if you relate to him as a person, and are having a conversation about magic ..or the weather... or how it is to work on TV... etc.. I think that if you say " ooh I am working on this routine , tell me what you think.,.." etc.,... if asked he would be more than likely to perform something.

No he won't saw himself in half....But I think it has more to do with the approach and the relationship established.

If a random stranger hits me with " I saw you the other day,...do a trick." I am less inclined than if they had chatted with me in the past, and I had some kind of a relationship other than a performing monkey, " can you do something fast for me now?" Under those circumstances is more than likely to get me to perform something...

Yes, I understand the desire to not appear like a performing monkey or a show dog... that performs on command.... I also see that when there is some interaction then sharing what you love becomes natural...

Like you just met this wonderful guy, and after a wonderful conversation... he tells you he's an artist... at THIS point saying " Oh ya? Can I see anything you've created?" is more likely to get a positive responce than running up to him out of nowhere and saying.." oooh I know you.... show me some art!!!!"