View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sidewalk shows?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys,
Summer is here and I am going to start busking more. I am just wanting to do a show at places close to my house. I have a gas station, a grocery store, Starbucks, and a park by my house. I am hoping to do little sidewalk-doorway shows at these places. I might only be able to at the gas station and Starbucks, because the grocery store and park aren't really good pitches. So I was thinking about doing a 5 minute routine for people getting gas, a snack, etc. I am doing this mainly for experience, because I am hoping to do this as a living. So I was wondering if this was a good idea. Any help is appreciated,
Thanks, Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Just make sure that you get permission from the owner/manager of said stores before doing so, or you'll be thrown out faster than... something that was thrown out fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

My advice is don't. People at gas stations don't want to be bothered by a magician. Starbucks also is a bad idea as they may get upset for you trespassing on their property. It's best to ask them if you could do a little close-up magic for them instead.

Do a little more research on the subject, it will help immensely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:45 pm 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
Just make sure that you get permission from the owner/manager of said stores before doing so, or you'll be thrown out faster than... something that was thrown out fast.

LoL Yes, thank you. I have done some magic to them and go there almost every day. If I do they would probably let me IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:50 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
My advice is don't. People at gas stations don't want to be bothered by a magician. Starbucks also is a bad idea as they may get upset for you trespassing on their property. It's best to ask them if you could do a little close-up magic for them instead.

Do a little more research on the subject, it will help immensely.

O.K. Thanks Falling, I will take that into consideration. I really want to busk more, I just don't want to go very far. I have researched a lot over the internet, and JimmyTalksAlot's blog has helped me a lot. You got his new book right? I will get it at some point, I like the sample. Thanks again- Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:27 pm 
Penguin

Hey Cenafreak.. - First, It's always better to ask for Forgiveness instead of permission.

2nd , I think you should go out with a partner, maybe somebody older who shares the same intrests as you..

Do you know of any high traffic areas where you can work? I'm talking about tourist attractions, where there are thousands of people walking by every minute... . I never got any practice in a small town, i went straight to one of the busiest pitches in America.. That's how a lot of serious buskers get their start...

G.G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:34 pm 

Kyle, you say that you want to "practice" doing sidewalk shows. Remember that a VERY IMPORTANT part of any show is hat lines. You need to work on the hat lines and how to get them into your patter. Also remember that "funny is money" so keep the patter humorous and the same with the hat lines. You have to tell the people to give you money and that this is how you make your living, or in your case make your spending money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 am 
Penguin

Thanks George, ypu are right. I live in Memphis, where you can get shot almost anytime. So I'll have togo with a friend and a parent, and have a little bit of "street tuff" in my character.As for the tourist attractions, I can go downtown, but I might not be able to due to laws. Maybe I can go there when the NBA plays, and I can busk a couple hours before and after the game. Anyways, Thanks- Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Kyle, you say that you want to "practice" doing sidewalk shows. Remember that a VERY IMPORTANT part of any show is hat lines. You need to work on the hat lines and how to get them into your patter. Also remember that "funny is money" so keep the patter humorous and the same with the hat lines. You have to tell the people to give you money and that this is how you make your living, or in your case make your spending money.

Thanks Paddy, that's correct. I am trying to work them after every routine. Also, is JimmyTalksalot new book cool. I just ordered it.George knows :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:24 am 
Penguin

dude, The Talksalot book is VERY good... Although I was kind of bummed out about Jimmy putting certain pitch reports in the book ... Some of those places are suppose to be secret.... but that's Jimmy (yeah, he talks alot)

I think I was Quoted on page 116... out of all the crap that comes out of my mouth I guess my quote there was the only thing he thought was noteable hah.

www.sidewalkperformers.com

good luck man hope you get out there and do your thing soon...

G.G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:07 pm 
Penguin

GeorgeGilbertMagic wrote:
but that's Jimmy (yeah, he talks alot)

LOL

www.sidewalkperformers.com

good luck man hope you get out there and do your thing soon...

G.G.

Thanks and I have been signed up, although I don't wanna chime in on all the pros talkin.- Kyle

I