View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:03 pm 
born to perform.

I have someone like this too, who has a basic knowledge of some basic magic effects and sleights. Every time he sees me perform, one of two things happens.

a) I turn over a card and he shouts out "DOUBLE FLIP!" regardless of whether it actually was a DL or not.

b) After a card is selected and I use some sort of mixing procedure to shuffle the deck, he always shouts out that the card is back on top.

OR, both a and b combined. He calls out that I have controlled the card to the top. I show him otherwaise and he shouts out "DOUBLE FLIP!"

Get one really good fooler, something he would never be able to figure out the method of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

MichaelKras wrote:
I have someone like this too, who has a basic knowledge of some basic magic effects and sleights. Every time he sees me perform, one of two things happens.

a) I turn over a card and he shouts out "DOUBLE FLIP!" regardless of whether it actually was a DL or not.

b) After a card is selected and I use some sort of mixing procedure to shuffle the deck, he always shouts out that the card is back on top.

OR, both a and b combined. He calls out that I have controlled the card to the top. I show him otherwaise and he shouts out "DOUBLE FLIP!"

Get one really good fooler, something he would never be able to figure out the method of.

One thing you can do is... if you see him coming before you start performing something is..say.." oh wait, I know that so and so is a great magician also... everyone give him a hand... " then Give him your cards and say..' you're on kid.." :-)

I doubt very highly that he has any tricks he can perform... after all if he could he would not be telling people how YOU perform.

Then the next time you see him...Just say..." Wait... he's back, ready to show us a good magic effect???" " No???"

Another thing is... work on making your magic theatre that happens to use cards as your vehicle... make a LOT of eye contact... connect. This way they will see your performance as such, and they will see that loser as an interruption.

Another thing is...Once you have your audience, whenever he comes by, if the " you ready to perform for us today?" remark doesn't chase him off is say.." I would LOVE to perform for you, but I cannot do so while Hjo schmo over there is determined to shoot me down..." They will chase him off to see you perform.

One last point. Are you in school? if so, I think that is the worst place to perform magic. A lot of kids feel a competative urge to take away your attention. It's what the School system does to kids. And they will try to take attention from you whether positively or negatively. Not the best environment for magic.

PS: get Heckler by Brian Tudor. This is the exact scenario this routine is for, since it plays on the heckler believing he knows where the card is, and you basically always having it somewhere else. You basically have him come foreward, and sign the card... and say.." Ok, try and keep track..i know you'll fail..but this should be fun" then smile at your audience. Now... after 3 or 4 times that the card is Not on top..but ..in your right Pocket...left pocket...jacket, pocket... shirt pocket... etc... if you are good at these sleights he'll never guess right, he'll always look like a schmuck... all to the enetertainment of the audience... trust me he'll avoid you like the plague... do NOT feel sorry for him, he is trying to gain some popularity at your expense...cut him off at the knees...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm 
born to perform.

I want everyone to know that you shouldn't answer a hecklers request. Even if it really is one card, or those cards really are the aces, or their card really isn't on top. Do not prove to them that they are wrong, it will only provoke worse heckleness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:47 pm 
Team Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:
MichaelKras wrote:

One thing you can do is... if you see him coming before you start performing something is..say.." oh wait, I know that so and so is a great magician also... everyone give him a hand... " then Give him your cards and say..' you're on kid.." :-)

I doubt very highly that he has any tricks he can perform... after all if he could he would not be telling people how YOU perform.

Then the next time you see him...Just say..." Wait... he's back, ready to show us a good magic effect???" " No???"

Another thing is... work on making your magic theatre that happens to use cards as your vehicle... make a LOT of eye contact... connect. This way they will see your performance as such, and they will see that loser as an interruption.

Another thing is...Once you have your audience, whenever he comes by, if the " you ready to perform for us today?" remark doesn't chase him off is say.." I would LOVE to perform for you, but I cannot do so while Hjo schmo over there is determined to shoot me down..." They will chase him off to see you perform.

One last point. Are you in school? if so, I think that is the worst place to perform magic. A lot of kids feel a competative urge to take away your attention. It's what the School system does to kids. And they will try to take attention from you whether positively or negatively. Not the best environment for magic.

PS: get Heckler by Brian Tudor. This is the exact scenario this routine is for, since it plays on the heckler believing he knows where the card is, and you basically always having it somewhere else. You basically have him come foreward, and sign the card... and say.." Ok, try and keep track..i know you'll fail..but this should be fun" then smile at your audience. Now... after 3 or 4 times that the card is Not on top..but ..in your right Pocket...left pocket...jacket, pocket... shirt pocket... etc... if you are good at these sleights he'll never guess right, he'll always look like a schmuck... all to the enetertainment of the audience... trust me he'll avoid you like the plague... do NOT feel sorry for him, he is trying to gain some popularity at your expense...cut him off at the knees...

Is it really that good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:55 pm 
born to perform.

Ok..How to say this... the material in it is Killer. But Brian Tudor is a Horrible teacher. So is the material worth the money ? heck ya!!!

But be prepared to rewind and watch segments times, unless you are familiar with the sleights. Basically you have video of Tudor doing the sleight, and an explanation by Tudor as a voice over. I got the impression they were not done at the same time, since sometimes what he is saying does not match what he is doing. Usually I would be put off by this, but I find that the moves are worth the effort. At least for me.

I'll say this, if all he knows is.." you controlled it to the top." and .. That was a Double Flip ." Then basically these sleights will be way over the guy's head.

The idea behind the material is to draw the heckler into a head to head with the magician, with material that has the heckler at a disadvantage from before get go... is starts with the magician showing a card, and asking.." what was that?" to which the heckler replies incorrectly, but not with something so obvious as a random DL... he THINKS it was a 4 of clubs but it was a 4 of spades for example..."

So he already is looking stupid... but not scared off, so you can have MORE fun with him... then he signs the card....and the fun begins.

If you are willing to work at learning the material, i recommend it. Will it always be necessary to use? maybe not in such a mean spirited way...but the sleights you learn will be valuable in other effects or venues...so it will still be a good buy...

Word of advice, if you are used to Michael Ammar, or Oz Pearlman teaching every single move in a sleight...you will be disappointed. Word to the wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:46 pm 
Penguin

If he thinks he's a magician, let him do a trick. Better yet just hand him the deck (Or coins or sponge balls or trained doves) and ask him to repeat the trick you were just doing. This will accomlpish several things
1: He will be completely surprised by this and utterly thrown off,
2: He will in all likelyhood be utterly unable to repeat the trick, because he spoils your magic to make up for his own lack of talent, and doesn't know your subtleties he only knows when you do a DL or a palm or something he doesn't actually know how all those things fit together to make a complete trick.
3: He will be too proud to back down from the challenge and just end up embarrasing himself in front of all these people.
4: The audience (Including other potential hecklers) will realise that it's harder than it looks to do magic and will know not to get on your bad side
5: Even if he does the trick technically correctly it will be unpracticed, un polished, and unentertaining, so you'll look better than him anyway.
6: He'll stop bugging you. If he doesn't, do it again.
7: You'll have handled the situation brilliantly in your spectators eyes and they'll remember it. Just be sure that you're polite and friendly when you ask him to come up. Smile and sit attentively whilst he does the trick, after he's done thank him, and ask if you can continue.
8: He'll probably give up magic.

It sounds to me like you've tried everything else, at least give this a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:20 pm 
born to perform.

I am reading Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. And as soon as I got out the door with My copy, and could peel off the shrink wrapper, I went straight to the chapter on Hecklers.

I take back everything i have said on how best to deal with hecklers.

I will go with what Mr. Ortiz said...

IGNORE THEM!!!

For those that have that wonderful book, it is worth re reading. Then again those of you that havew read it ( i haven't finished it yet.) More than likely you've been saying the same thing.

For those that do not have it. Get it. If there is a book, that should be by every magician's pillow, this is it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

clarissa35f wrote:
I am reading Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. And as soon as I got out the door with My copy, and could peel off the shrink wrapper, I went straight to the chapter on Hecklers.

I take back everything i have said on how best to deal with hecklers.

I will go with what Mr. Ortiz said...

IGNORE THEM!!!

For those that have that wonderful book, it is worth re reading. Then again those of you that havew read it ( i haven't finished it yet.) More than likely you've been saying the same thing.

For those that do not have it. Get it. If there is a book, that should be by every magician's pillow, this is it.

The best thing he said about hecklers is ignoring how they try to point things out S.A. "there are 2 cards" when there really aren't. Because if they keep doing that and you just show them that they're wrong, sometime or another, you won't be able to do what they say and you're screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:12 am 
Penguin

Say 'Hey a$$hole. Shut up because that's not how it's done' even if he REALLY did figure out how. If the problem persists, just kick him in his penis and say 'Go on. Run and tell the teacher, you noob' or something that will embarrass him in front of everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 am 
born to perform.

Balence wrote:
Say 'Hey a$$hole. Shut up because that's not how it's done' even if he REALLY did figure out how. If the problem persists, just kick him in his penis and say 'Go on. Run and tell the teacher, you noob' or something that will embarrass him in front of everyone.

Ahh, taking the mature approach I see. :roll:

No matter how you deal with a heckler, never compromise the audience's experience. If how you handle the jerk makes the show less enjoyable for the audience, the heckler has won.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:26 am 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
Balence wrote:

Ahh, taking the mature approach I see. :roll:

No matter how you deal with a heckler, never compromise the audience's experience. If how you handle the jerk makes the show less enjoyable for the audience, the heckler has won.

-JT

I wonder what if the audience says they would love to see the ^%$hole get kicked in the penis? What if you could do so magically? Work it into the routine? Mature responce + magic show = FTW!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:47 am 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
adjones wrote:
kev1215 wrote:
just beat him up and tell him if you ever ruin my trick again i will beat you up twice as hard.

Don't listen to this kid... that will get you a horrible reputation as a magician. It's not a mature thing to do at all.

It is the fun thing to do though! :D JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 pm 
Penguin

i think the best COA would be to talk to him, try to befriend him.
If that doesnt work, knock him down a peg.

Im not kidding, beat 'em up. Someone who tries to ruin a fellow magician is not a true magician, but an attention-whore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 pm 
Penguin

I have a method that will possibly work... OR get you hit... I am okay with both as long as it is not me. :roll:

When they interrupt just ask, "What's the matter? Do you need a hug? See, because I was trying to get my bit of attention", but it appears you are in greater need. So should I (we all) just give you a hug so you can let me continue trying to entertain my friend or are we good? You are done right?

Then if he started to bother you show again, just go up and fully embrace him (don't be afraid to "grip" your nails in a bit, while you appear to be the bigger man). This should stop him from interrupting again. You have been the "good sport" (at least appearance wise) and the crowd will turn on him.

I know it is too late to help the first guy, but maybe this will help someone in the future. I have not tried this method, but I have heard of a few performers having successfully doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:52 pm 
Penguin

i usually have a plan if there is a guy or kid ruining my act. so heres my advice make it as part of an act. and do something like have a fake nose mold hidden with fake blood, and say "did your dad ever do the "i have your nose trick?" then if he says no or yes palm it and just smear it off his face and send him screaming :twisted: makes everyone else laugh and he looks like a idiot. :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next