View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 pm 
Penguin

Ask them if they suffer from "short-term memory" or A.D.D. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:53 pm 
Penguin

If I'm doing a trick with cards I just say "Here, I'll do one that's similar to the one I just did" and show them another card trick. That usually makes them forget about the other trick. But if they're persistent, I just say "I already did it, so why should I do it again?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:19 am 
born to perform.

pingumagic wrote:
clarissa35f wrote:
I would say... " According to Article 2 Section 7, subsection 14... of the Quintimillenmial magic Convocation, No magician Sorceror Conjuror, or any person that can present him or herself as same, shall at any time before the same audience or audiences be they 1 individual , a group, or both, perform said mini-miracle, illusion, effect, which shall be of a magical nature.

If said magician, sorceror, conjuror etc, does so, he shall be denied the oppurtunity to perform in any of the Comvocation events up and including the annual fruitcake cook off, and bar-b-q."

If he shall have done so more than 3 times in any decade, his wand shall be split, his pants shall be wedgied, his powers removed for a period not to be less than a fortnight, or more than 3 and a half moons. Said continued ignorance of said by laws shall subject miscreant to continued harassment and targeting by the Magical Convocation Punishment Committee.

" remember Repeat performances, Just...say...no!!!"

LOL I really need to brush up on my er.. Quintimillenmial magic Convocation rules.

I would send you a copy of mine but they purposely made it out of paper that vanishes when exposed to xerox light... :(.. You need to send a written request to Stonehenge Magical Records care of Winifred Snipe... enclose 3 ducats for processing fee, and transport, it arrives in 8 volumes in a steamer trunk. Bring a friend to help you carry it, and you can only read it by candle light...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:12 pm 
Penguin

I only use this one with my friends:

Yooooo are you blind! I just showed youuuuuu. PAY ATTENTIONNNNNNNNNNN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:28 pm 
Penguin

I tend to start with a trick that can be repeated and if they ask to see it again I repeat it, identically. Same patter, word for word. Same instructions, I introduce myself a second time, ask their name a second time do the trick exactly as I did the first time and because I've used a trick that bears repeating, they still don't figure it out, only now they're too scared to ask to see anything else twice because the repitition is actually quite wierd. But it gets a laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am 
Penguin

I have found that usually it's a guy that persists in wanting to see the effect again. Being a girl I can usually disarm him with a little charm and they tend to back off. I think it's an advantage girls have in this regard. A little wink can work wonders. I once gave a guy a little smile and a soft touch on the forearm and just said "interesting illusion wasn't it?" and he didn't say another word about it. We use every advantage we can in performing these effects and that's just another one I use if at all possible. I don't do the same trick twice...ever. Rachel. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:29 pm 
born to perform.

Good one.. lol.. I tend to smile and be a bit of a flirt anyway. My Husband just smiles because he knows that it really helps me with audience control. I tend to find it Ironic. Most girls will watch a performance, and enjoy it. Most guys will want to know how it's done... i guess their ego is on the line...not all. But while my hubby may get less hecklers, the ones he gets are more vocal DURING the performance.

Me i do not get more hecklers, but I will get more guiys approaching me during a break, asking.." come on hun, you can tell me, How was it doene? I swear I won't say a word."

I Just smile at them and say.." really? I swore i wouldn't say a word either. I am so glad you understand... " Then i show my cute dimples :-)

I think the best way as has been said to deal with it during a performance is just say.." Know what? maybe later, let me show you something else first..." and move on...

Quote:
I don't do the same trick twice...ever. Rachel. Very Happy

What I would do is learn an effect that by it's very nature LOOKS as though you are showing it to them again. but that by it's construction is one effect.

Say after they ask a few times " let me see that again." perform Red Hot Mama, or Jazz Aces. Then say after the first phase of Jazz aces, or red Hot mama say " You know you've been a wonderful audience... Normally i do not do this... but just for you guys... I'll do it again."

Then go on with the routine... I find it REALLY makes something like Jazz Aces into a magical performance. They think you are doing something you did not really expect to do... repeat an effect... and just for them.

Intellectually, they may know deep down it's all one routine, but emotionally, they feel it is a repetition. I would do it close to the end of the routine though...do not want them thinking they can just demand you do things over and over anytime they feel like it.

Once is Entertainment. Twice is Education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 am 
Penguin

Yes...if a guy thinks I'm flirting with him it tends to get his mind on something else. It just works with a lot of guys so I do it. One guy said fine, I'll buy you a beer later and you can show me the trick again then. It never got that far but he stopped asking to see the trick again. Rachel. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:05 am 
Penguin

chartman wrote:
Doooooooooooooood how long can you blink that you missed that entire fricken thing!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

:lol: That's really funny.

Seriously though, if the trick has a supprise ending (most do) the trick MUST NOT be repeated. The spectator knows what's going to happen and will be looking for it. Some tricks bear repetition (Six Bill Repeat, etc.) and that's okay. The only time you CAN repeat a trick is if it can be done a different way. That's why I know four different way to pass a coin through a hankerchief. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:18 pm 
born to perform.

Alrite ladies....You know it's not fair to change the subject by flirting with us. It's like changing the subject by saying, "Hey, look! Something shiney!" And like the apes we are say, "ooh, ooh..I like shiney!" It's that ultimate power of the female. It's one thing to smile....Another to actually wink... But then to touch...OMG! That's taking advantage of our simply-wired brains! Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

MichalAngelo wrote:
Alrite ladies....You know it's not fair to change the subject by flirting with us. It's like changing the subject by saying, "Hey, look! Something shiney!" And like the apes we are say, "ooh, ooh..I like shiney!" It's that ultimate power of the female. It's one thing to smile....Another to actually wink... But then to touch...OMG! That's taking advantage of our simply-wired brains! Lol.

* bat my lashes innocently* huh? I don't know what you mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:16 am 
Penguin

I'll admit it, ladies, I'm a sucker too. A cute fast food employee asked me if I'd like to donate $1 to charity. Normally, I find charities I think are worthy and donate to them...but...she got me. Even cute servers (who don't do that great a job) usually get a good tip from me. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:18 am 
born to perform.

jamesjay1 wrote:
Say, "No."

Move on to the next effect.

Maintain control.

You............MUST............MAINTAIN..........*COUGH* *COUGH*........CONTROL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 am 
Penguin

A lot of the responses to this seem really insulting to the specs (for example: do you have ADD?). Why not transition to something else by saying: "Well...let me show you this..."? Or, if you're a member of SAM or something - can't you just let 'em know you've sworn an oath?

I mean, answer a fool according to his (or her) folly. If someone's heckling, let 'em have it. But I don't see a reason to be rude to someone who was impressed and just wants to see it again because they liked it. Just my $.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm 
born to perform.

I think a Lot of the sting of those " insults" can be taken out by saying it good naturedly.

But I also agree, they are a your crowd. I feel that whether you are a pro making money, or an amateur performing out of love of the art, and not getitng a dime, or somewhere in between, we should always behave as professionals.... I do noot see that the benefit of the insult is a good road to travel.

Seems that you may read someone wrong, and really hurt someone's feelings or upset someone.

Remember you never know where a paying gig will come from. maybe that person that asked to see it again may have been an impressed agent.

Someone that could have lined you up with actual work? Wouldn't it have been more productive to just say " Hold On a sec, let me show you something else?" than to say.." what do you have A. D. D?"

Some people become professionals because they behave professionally, even when they do not perform for cash.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next