View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Blain trick
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:53 am 
Penguin

Hi!

In one of David Blaine's tv-shows, he does a mindreading effect with cards - but without using cards! An officer, or a fireman, is asked to think of any card in his mind. David Blaine does his magic gestures, looking at him, reading his mind, and reveals the card. And of course, it is the right card! It's kind of similiar to the Invisible deck-effect, just without cards.

Does anyone know the name of this trick, and if possible, where to purchase it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It's easy.

Film yourself going up to random strangers and ask them to think of any card. You then proceed to tell them what the card is. If you are wrong, rewind and tape again untill you get it right. Then keep filming it untill you get a really great reaction, or just tell the spectator to act like a fool for the camera because it makes for great television.

You could also have what we call a "stooge" in the audience and use that person to read their mind. He/She will flip out and in return, the rest of the spectators will flip out.

Now, there are ways of forcing a thought card onto a spectator, but unfortunately, Mr. Blaine went with the first scenario instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:47 pm 
Emperor Penguin

If taping, just force a card and have the guy hold it to his chest. Then start recording and begin your "presentation and showmanship." At least this way it is legit, no stooges needed. On these shows a lot of times they do not show the previous work that builds up to the actual effect, so it looks a lot more impromptu. But it is very easy to cheat on TV as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:28 pm 
born to perform.

In his book "Mysterious Stranger" Blaine talks about this very effect.

He named several cards that are the cards people typically think of - if you get it wrong, move on to another effect - if you get it right. . . well then you got it right. Stooges aren't necessary, they just don't show you the times he gets it wrong - which Blaine openly admits to in the book.

Blaine talks alot about psychological cues and environmental influence - it's a bit like muscle reading, but without the muscles. Derren Brown did a segment with a similar concept behind it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:09 am 
Penguin

Unfortunately I've also been more critical to the effects David Blaine and Criss Angel are performing on tv. The effects are great, but some of them seems too good to be true. But of course, that's important when making good tv. I also thought he had to be a stooge or something, but was hoping not.

The most similiar effect I've seen, is the one I saw at a magic convention, where this magic dealer showed me a trick. But here, the effect was that the spectator could name any card the wanted, then you openly and with no funny moves reached in your pocket, taking out a sealed envelope, opening it, showing that it contains only one card, which of course was the spectators card. The nice thing about this effect, was that it wasn't any "card to pocket" effect, there were no gaffed cards, there were no forcing, and the trick could instantly be done again. The down side was that you had to pay over 100 dollars for it. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the trick.

But, I will try out the book "Mysterious stranger", and maybe I'll be finding what I'm looking for. I think the effect is extremely strong, that it can't get any better than this, but of course, maybe it all were a set up so it would make good tv.

I'll keep looking! Thanks for the replies! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:34 am 
Penguin

Hi guys. You simply could place the Ace and King of spades on top of a deck. Take out the deck and have them name a card. If it's the Ace turn over the top card. If it's the King do a DL. It's now a 1 in 26 chance the spectator will guess it. Going further, a triple lift makes it about 1 in 17 etc. Obviously you can then show the deck as a complete deck.

If you're doing that for a complete stranger why not? If they guess wrong just say sorry, not my day and move on.

I saw a guy do this in a newspaper column he wrote. He had thousands and thousands of readers every day as it was a large city newspaper. He just had them take out a deck and turn over a card. Your card will be the 5 of clubs. 1 out of 52 got it right. Slightly less if Joker(s) were involved. Rachel. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:29 pm 
born to perform.

jonamart wrote:
Unfortunately I've also been more critical to the effects David Blaine and Criss Angel are performing on tv. The effects are great, but some of them seems too good to be true. But of course, that's important when making good tv. I also thought he had to be a stooge or something, but was hoping not.

The most similiar effect I've seen, is the one I saw at a magic convention, where this magic dealer showed me a trick. But here, the effect was that the spectator could name any card the wanted, then you openly and with no funny moves reached in your pocket, taking out a sealed envelope, opening it, showing that it contains only one card, which of course was the spectators card. The nice thing about this effect, was that it wasn't any "card to pocket" effect, there were no gaffed cards, there were no forcing, and the trick could instantly be done again. The down side was that you had to pay over 100 dollars for it. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the trick.

But, I will try out the book "Mysterious stranger", and maybe I'll be finding what I'm looking for. I think the effect is extremely strong, that it can't get any better than this, but of course, maybe it all were a set up so it would make good tv.

In effect, it sounds just like "One and Only" - but One and Only is about $20 last I heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Blaine actually does mostly legitimate commercial magic, Angel does not. You can't even compare the two. Angel is all camera and stooges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:02 pm 
Penguin

it a camera card...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:00 pm 
born to perform.

Tavio1234 wrote:
it a camera card...

What?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:57 am 
Team Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
jonamart wrote:

In effect, it sounds just like "One and Only" - but One and Only is about $20 last I heard.

Sounds like Karrel Fox's Red Table to me.