View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I can't do it
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 pm 
born to perform.

I can't. I've been in magic for a year and i've slready done one bad kids show for our freinds birthday because i didn't know any better. Now i know that i'll have to wait another 2 or 3 years before i can get a really good flowing kids show going. But now my mom's co-worker is having party for her 5th grader. The co-worker asked me to do the show. Knowing my situation and experience level i told her NO. I'm not ready. Then my mom gets all pissed off saying i'm running from my fears and i'm a "quitter." I told her any good magician would totally diasgree with her statements. She told me to do what the kids want, not what i like. I have no colorful tricks. No PBJ illusion. Just a TT and a silk. I haven't read crap on the subject, and i know a perfect magican who teaches at a camp i go to. I just want us penguinites to tell me some good reasons to use as to why i shouldn't do this. I keep telling her mine, but she won't budge.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:21 pm 
born to perform.

A bad show will hurt your ego, but you need to move forword and learn from it. It sounds like you are learning. Now you need to dedicate your free time to learn about doing kid's shows. Buy books, go to every show in your area, talk to us , and use your imagination. Once you learn about shows and imagine one of your own, you will be doing this in no time.

As for your mom. Tell her you can't do the show because you have no show. If you feel you can't do the show, stand your ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

Assuming 5th grade is equal to our year 6, that makes the kids 10-11? If so why are they having a magician? They are too old for a magic show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 pm 
born to perform.

ukcop wrote:
Assuming 5th grade is equal to our year 6, that makes the kids 10-11? If so why are they having a magician? They are too old for a magic show.

Your never to old for a magic show. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:18 pm 
Penguin

i would have to agree that this age group would not be suitable for your second show.

Can you give us more info about your first show to maybe give you tips on improving your show and your confidence.
How old was the group?
What effects did you perform?
What exactly went wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:56 am 
Penguin

tell your mom to do the show lol... thats one thing i cant quite grasp the concept of. Parents seem to boss their kids around with different situations like this... Tell her POLITELY you can't do the show.... if she begins telling you to not run away from your fears and that line of bs ... just agree with her in a polite manner. from your description of this situation it seems that will be the only solution to not doing the show.
If she is giving you all these tips to performing the show... just have her perform it...
The only problem is you can't be disrespectful although she is being quite rude by pressuring you into doing something you don't want to.

or I just thought of this... tell her you will do the show and on the day of the show.. fake that you are sick.. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:22 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
i would have to agree that this age group would not be suitable for your second show.

Can you give us more info about your first show to maybe give you tips on improving your show and your confidence.
How old was the group?
What effects did you perform?
What exactly went wrong?

Well, i'd rather not talk about it, i'd get bashed to heck :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

You won't get bashed for admitting mistakes. It's when people deny mistakes that they get in trouble. :wink:

I think you made the right choice turning down the job. You're showing maturity in recognizing that you aren't ready. Just read everything you can get your hands on about performing for kids, and keep practicing!

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

Well, I show'd card tricks the entire time :oops: .They seemed to like the haunted deck though.

Thanks Miniserb, i'm gonna pick up seriously silly at one time or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

If your comfortable performing card tricks for this party, maybe your mom's friend would be interested. You couldn't pass this as being a "show", but it would give you some more experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
You won't get bashed for admitting mistakes. It's when people deny mistakes that they get in trouble. :wink:

I think you made the right choice turning down the job. You're showing maturity in recognizing that you aren't ready. Just read everything you can get your hands on about performing for kids, and keep practicing!

-JT

Philal,
He's right, you made the mistake doing the first show and you learned from it. Kid shows are not easy. The silly book is okay but if you want every in and out of a kid show try reading 'The birthday party business' I think it will do you better to read that first then Silly. We appreciate your honesty and your willingness to do it right.
I'm not on here much anymore but there are others that can really help you out.
Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:43 pm 
born to perform.

Sluggo, you've set many of us on the right path, thanks and come back more often!

-JT

Post subject: Re: I can't do it
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 pm 
born to perform.

Philal wrote:
I can't. I've been in magic for a year and i've slready done one bad kids show for our freinds birthday because i didn't know any better. Now i know that i'll have to wait another 2 or 3 years before i can get a really good flowing kids show going. But now my mom's co-worker is having party for her 5th grader. The co-worker asked me to do the show. Knowing my situation and experience level i told her NO. I'm not ready. Then my mom gets all pissed off saying i'm running from my fears and i'm a "quitter." I told her any good magician would totally diasgree with her statements. She told me to do what the kids want, not what i like. I have no colorful tricks. No PBJ illusion. Just a TT and a silk. I haven't read crap on the subject, and i know a perfect magican who teaches at a camp i go to. I just want us penguinites to tell me some good reasons to use as to why i shouldn't do this. I keep telling her mine, but she won't budge.

Thanks

You don't need us to tell you why you shouldn't do it. You've stated the reasons yourself. Check out the bold text above. I commend you for having the sense to know that you're not ready. The more "bad" shows you do, the more your reputation goes down the toilet. Magic is seldom one of those things that comes "natural". Devote some time and dedicated practice to your art, and your skills will improve. Granted, props cost money, and although I do not know your financial situation, it is possible to build skill without "props". Cards, coins, business cards, rings and things you find around the house or can make. This not only develops your skill, but also your creativity. Giving up does NOT make you a quitter. Quitting before you give your best effort......THAT makes you a quitter. There are enough knowledgable and willing people here to help you with what you need. If you know a perfect magician that teaches..you may consider seeking his help as well.

Michal

Post subject: Re: I can't do it
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:48 pm 
Penguin

Philal wrote:

Thanks
It took me several years (5-6) before I really put on a show I was happy with. It takes time but time will reward you if you remain dedicated.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:14 am 
born to perform.

5th grade is a terrible age for a show. I do agree that your never too old for a magic show, you can be too old for a kids show. At that age they're too old for a kids show and too young for a walk-around show. (says quietly to himself) "evil little bastards"

You are 100% percent right in saying no. You're not running from your fears you're preparing properly for them. Your mom obviously doesn't know much about magic.