View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: goshman's pinch
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:06 pm 
Penguin

When doing a goshman's pinch, can it be done between the middle and ring finger? I am trying to do Gregory Wilson's 3/4 coins across. Why does Gregory Wilson do it between the ring and pinkie? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It is done the way it is done to give you more cover when showing your hand empty very fairly. If done between the ring and middle finger, it gives less cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:44 pm 

It's also harder to get into, in my opinion. Dave Roth published his handling the basis for this routine, Tenkai Pennies. It's called Deep Backclip Tenkai Pennies and uses a Deep Backclip instead of the standard Backclip that you're talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:10 pm 
Penguin

Hhhmmm...I'd like to see the Roth handling. Ive just started learning the Goshman and it's difficult for me so far. I'm going to stick with it though. I really like the Gregory Wilson trick. Saw it on video. What would be the ideal size coin to learn this sleight? PM me if you have some helpful advice please. Thanks. Rachel. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:13 pm 
Penguin

I'm having a heckuva a time with Tenkai/Goshman. I find my fingers are a little too skinny and knobby at the knuckles. If you ever get a chance to pick up Revolutionary Coin Magic by Jay Sankey he uses Tenkai/Goshman a ton.

Tenkai appears, to me at least, to be a highly angly hold. Once you figure out your angles and get a hang of the move getting into the hold, you may find more success.

Practice! I'm getting calluses in weird spots due to this one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:10 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Burleson , Texas , stop buying every new trick and Read some bloody books
don't feel bad I finally got it down a few weeks ago and I first learned it in 2005 when I first started

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:55 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I can't do the Tenkai Pinch because my pinky curves inward oddly, and when I try to get it out of the Pinch, it falls to the ground. So after months of practice I gave up. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:40 pm 
Penguin

I saw the Jay Sankey video Rem. He's very good with the technique for sure. His "Mr. Clean Coins Across" routine is built on the Goshman Pinch. Lots of good uses for the technique so I'm going to keep at it even if it is very difficult for me. I'd eventually like to master it using smaller coins like quarters.

I have another way to get the coin in a similar grip (Tenkai Pinch). I'm working on both techniques. Rachel. :D

Last edited by RachelMilano on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:26 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
I can't do the Tenkai Pinch because my pinky curves inward oddly, and when I try to get it out of the Pinch, it falls to the ground. So after months of practice I gave up. :cry:

I feel your pain Drew, I'm working on ways around it though. My pinkies affected my ability to play instruments, but I worked through that, so I'm not giving up on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 pm 
Penguin

I have been practicing the Goshman Pinch for about 2 years now and feel very comfortable with the move. Nobody has noticed the move or felt suspicious when the move occurs. Recently I have been practicing on my left hand and been having the same problems with my pinky as most people. I didn't give up on the move and now I'm doing it almost as smoothly as my right hand.

The only advice I can suggest is to repeat the move over and over again. Doesn't matter if you drop the coin of the coin is not on the right angle or anything like that. Just do the move, and if you miss oh well just do it again. That's what I did and now I'm doing the Goshman pinch in both hands.

I would have to also say, pick up Jay Sankeys Rev. Coin Magic 2.0 It is an amazing DVD for all types of coin sleights, productions, changes, vanishes and other applications to the Goshman pinch.
-Joey

Have a Good One!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:49 pm 
Team Penguin

I practice the goshman pinch and it works surprisingly well as a balkpalm with a pivot!

But yeah, whenever you get a coin, just pinch it. I did that and in two weeks I had it down flawlessly. (Course that was 4 years ago...)