View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Derren Brown ! Weird Magic... ?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm 
Penguin

Hey

What do you think about this guy. I recently saw him on youtube and the effect he do is sooo Crazy !!! It's like mentalism with hypnosis !!!

Post some comments about this guy... I want to do effect like this in my mentalist show !!!:P

thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 pm 
born to perform.

If you liked watching Derren, I recomend you look into some Luke Jermay material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 pm 
born to perform.

Or if you really want to be like Derren, buy his books, get in his mindset, and learn some solid mentalism. You'll be off and running in no time if you have the dedication.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

I read once that Darren had filmed for 9 hours just to get a shot of himself flipping a quarter and it landing on heads 10X in a row. Any one else hear this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:35 am 
born to perform.

I didn't hear that, but it sounds like something he'd do to get a good segment for his show. Seems just a bit extreme.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
I read once that Darren had filmed for 9 hours just to get a shot of himself flipping a quarter and it landing on heads 10X in a row. Any one else hear this?

A 10 pence, on The System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 am 
born to perform.

Pauldela wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:

Is The System, the name of the show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:24 am 
born to perform.

Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
Pauldela wrote:
Sweepingreaper4 wrote:

Is The System, the name of the show?

One of his specials. Type in Derren Brown The System in youtube and watch what you see...it's pretty awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:42 am 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Don't want to give anything away, but I love how he draws the parel between flipping the coin and his 'System'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:57 pm 
Penguin

To be honest i cant see him stood there for 9 hours or whatever he sadi just to get 10 heads in a row when he could just uses either a double headed coin or a controlled coin flip.I think hes gone downhill recently his latest trick or treat series was terrible.

But thats just my opinion his trick of the mind series were brilliant but i think he started going down when he did "The Heist"

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:34 pm 
Penguin

A story from real life:

I was at school and wondered if I should just go home or wait in two hours for the next lesson. I decided to flip a coin, heads were "stay at school". First I got heads but I tried once more just to confirm it. Heads again. I just continued to flip the coin for fun to see how many times I could hit heads. After ten times with heads in a row (!) I stopped. The coin now lies in a safe place in my room. And yes, I threw the coin high up in the air each time and it was spinning a lot, to get it as random as I could.

This happens one out of thousand times shall we believe statistic math.

I decided to stay at school and wait for the next lesson that day :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:26 am 
Penguin

danielellis wrote:
To be honest i cant see him stood there for 9 hours or whatever he sadi just to get 10 heads in a row when he could just uses either a double headed coin or a controlled coin flip.I think hes gone downhill recently his latest trick or treat series was terrible.
Dan

In the last segment of the show you see him doing his coin flip, yes it takes him that long and he still looks fresh on camera (he looks like sh** when the camera is off him!). The point of not using a dodgy coin or a control was to show that it was 100% "fair". That's the point of the show, watch it - it's a great special.

I really enjoy a lot of Derren's work, his way of combining magic with genuine mind reading is amazing. I believe he's probably closer to being a "true" magician than anyone else around today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:01 pm 
Penguin

sNoRRe wrote:
A story from real life:

I was at school and wondered if I should just go home or wait in two hours for the next lesson. I decided to flip a coin, heads were "stay at school". First I got heads but I tried once more just to confirm it. Heads again. I just continued to flip the coin for fun to see how many times I could hit heads. After ten times with heads in a row (!) I stopped. The coin now lies in a safe place in my room. And yes, I threw the coin high up in the air each time and it was spinning a lot, to get it as random as I could.

This happens one out of thousand times shall we believe statistic math.

I decided to stay at school and wait for the next lesson that day :wink:

Actually, if anything what you just did perfectly explains finite mathematics.

Finite math teaches us that if you flip a coin over and over again, no matter what happens the flip preceding your current flip, you always go into it 50/50.

Example, if you flip a head 10 times in a row, chances are, and statistically, you should flip a tails. Common sense also leads you to believe the same thing. Our brains tell us that "oh man, we just flipped a head (insert number here) times in a row, the next flip HAS to be a tail!....but no.

If you flip a head 10 times in a row, the next flip is finite and independent in its own regard, making the 11th flip a 50/50 chance of hitting a tail.

I know its kind of confusing and hard to think outside the box on this but its true!

Our brains try and trick us into thinking that after flipping a head 10 times, that we have a better chance of hitting a tail, but every single flip of a coin is 50/50, if of course we are flipping the coin the EXACT same way every time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:24 am 
Penguin

I did The System with 50 college students betting on if they would win a poker hand. Each one was playing against each other, but each one thought that it was only them who was competing for the win. See Derren Brown's and you'll get what I mean :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:01 pm 
Penguin

I think Derren's awesome. I've watched everything he's ever done on youtube. My favourite was when he had those people and David Tennant locked in a room trying to score 100 points, even though the points counter was going up randomly, and there was a message on the ceiling saying the door was unlocked. It was all about superstition and how we draw false connections between cause and effect. Hilarious.
And that cold reading he did dressed as a clown is so creepy it's brilliant.