View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The importance of routining & rehearsal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:42 am 
born to perform.

Once again I am going to address this to the youth on the board as the adult professionals will already know and have learned this lesson. I've spoken about rehearsal and the importance many times, but this is just an another example as to <why> it is important.

My daughter was asked to do a 2-night engagement for her old dance teacher's annual show. My daughter has done this show in the past and as much as she loves doing this for her old teacher, and participating in this show, being back in with all her old friends--- it is also the most frazzling for her as a performer.

She was thrust into a whole new dynamic --- which is good too -- and put to the test in a way. It also goes to show that it is good to challenge yourself from time to time.

Her teacher asked her to work up a short magic performance that would include two songs. One of her choosing and one her teacher chose which was Candyman by Sammy Davis Jr. Now the difficult part-- she had to incorporate about sixteen, yep I said 16, little girls between the ages of 3-4 into the act. Not an easy task.

We had to really sit down and look at our magic arsenal and figure out what would work with the music, that wouldn't be given away on stage to the little girls & the older girls in the "wings", that would be easy enough for the young girls to understand, and make this look like a professional performance that didn't make my daughter look like just a kid playing around up on stage. It was a tall order.

Oh, did I forget to mention that we only had the group of little girls for (2) five minute run throughs only?

So how do you put this all together? First of all you have to be disciplined. You have to practice... a lot. And you have to be confident, know your routine and own it in order to be able to pull it off with the extra "helpers". You also have to expect the unexpected when working with this age group, think of what 'could' happen, and how to avoid it.

The first night's 5-minute run through was a complete disaster! Oh, it was bad. Little girls going every which direction. Oh, but were they cute! LOL The second night's rehearsal was a little better, but definitely not up to show quality.

The part you have to remember is that if her performance went badly, it was not going to reflect negatively on the little girls at all-- they were too cute and adorable-- if her performance flopped it would all fall on her shoulders and what audience member would want to hire her as a magician after that?

So how do you rehearse for such an event? Like any other! With a lot of hours and using your tools.

We took video of each night's rehearsal. We studied those videos like any other time to see where my daughter needed to improve. She choreographed her performance to the music. She spents days practicing for hours so that she knew her routine. This part was all normal practice, but how to control the girls? Again, that went back to the props she could use and watching the video. She needed something visual and bright, that would also help to curtail the children and we decided on a brightly colored line of silks. It looked great, and gave the girls a 'line' to hold onto so that they weren't running all around.

The night of the show came and we were nervous. Although I am happy to report that it all came off without a snag and looked really cute.

So the point of this long post--- there are all different jobs out there and this may not be your typical one, and not one my daughter would do if it weren't for her dear teacher, but don't sell yourself short. Remember, that whatever type of show you do to think about your audience and who you are performing for, think about your routining, put in the necessary days and hours it takes, don't forget to use your tools (i.e. video camera) and give yourself an honest critique.

You can achieve whatever goals you set for yourself as long as you are willing to put in the time and the effort. Is it easy? No. Does it take a lot of hard work? Yes. But remember, you control the outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:25 pm 
born to perform.

i agree with that 100% i did a show today and because i rehearsed it sooooo many times it went smoothly and people asked me to do a show for them in the future :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:43 pm 
born to perform.

Didn't that make you feel great? That is when you know that all the hard work was worth it! Good job. Just remember to keep up the hard work and I'm sure you will get plenty of call backs in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

ye i did feel great and thanks for the compliment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:50 pm 
born to perform.

Kristen I love reading your advice. Not only do you tell a great story and write it well, but you include a ton of helpful information for us! Great little essay, and as always congratulate your daughter on being such a mature performer.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Miniserb. I worry sometimes that all you guys will get tired of me bringing up my daughter all the time, but that is where my practical experience comes from. We are very much a team effort and all work together.

I'm glad to know that you find my stories helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:47 am 
Penguin

Good advice, Kristen, as always.

I had a thread kinda like this awhile ago about the practice to make sure one is ready to actually perform and not just to perform but to perform the type of show one is being hired for.

This advice is never wrong to give and should be brought up from time-to-time to teach or remind everybody about the importance of actually being 'ready.'

Kudos to you.