View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Handcuff escape article accurate?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:26 pm 
Penguin

Hey people,

I'm a contributor at wikiHow.com and there's this article up for featuring on the home page and Google RSS feed about escaping from handcuffs with a bobby pin. It's based on a video that is all over the Web, but the instructions seem a little vague. Since I don't have a pair of handcuffs to experiment with (and I don't feel like getting arrested just for accuracy verification) can any of you tell me if these instructions are actually helpful? Meaning, can your average Joe unlock handcuffs following these steps? (OK maybe not your average Joe--someone who's inquisitive)

The complete article is on wikiHow which is like Wikipedia in that anyone can edit it, so if you see something that could be fixed, feel free to post here or dive right in a make the correction on the actual page:

http://www.wikihow.com/Escape-from-Handcuffs

The article's reprinted here under Creative Commons licensing, so no copyright violations or anything (i.e. don't ban me, mods!).

Intro

Harry Houdini's fame began with his ability to escape from handcuffs, becoming known as "The Handcuff King" in Europe. While you might not be seeking a career as an escapologist, you can still entertain your friends with similar tricks. These instructions will allow you to escape from some brands of handcuffs when your hands are in front of you (but this method is impossible if your hands are at your back with the keyhole facing away, as is the case when a law enforcement office makes an arrest). This is a magic trick that you can perform for your friends, if you trust them enough to unlock the cuffs if your trick doesn't work!

Steps

1. Used is a Smith and Wesson Model 100 double lock handcuffs.

2.Get a a regular bobby pin that looks like this and pull away the plastic covering on the end so that it will work correctly.

3. Put the end of the bobby pin into the key hole and bend it 90 degrees.

4. Take it out slightly, and bend it the other way, also at 90 degrees. You should end up in an angle shaped just like this:

5. Insert the bobby pin in the keyhole as shown.

6. Bend it down so that the very tip pushes up. This will release the latches that will open the jaws of the handcuffs.

7. If you have a double lock, put the key in the keyhole in the opposite direction, release the double lock, turn it around to release the latches and open the jaw as outlined in the previous steps.

Tips

* Use your own set of handcuffs, and buy two sets. That way, you'll have two keys. Make sure that both keys can unlock either set interchangeably. When you perform this trick, use one set, and give the crowd what they think is the only key. Have the second key hidden nearby just in case the people you're performing for (your mischievous friends) decided to go out for burgers once they see your bobby pin broke.
* This may also work on other cuffs that use the standard cuff key, such as Peerless, Hiatt, ASP, and Chicago brand cuffs.[1]

Warnings

* The pick may break when you're working on the double lock because of the additional force needed.[1]
* Again, this is only for entertainment. If you get arrested it will not work, because the police will have your hands behind your back and the cuffs might be of a brand that this technique doesn't work with.

Sources and Citations

* Escape from Handcuffs Original video by Kipkay. Shared with permission.

1. http://www.fundistraction.com/2007/03/h ... cuffs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Should work with minimal practice.

Handcuffs aren't to secure you. Only restrain you. Most cuffs you'll find (including those law enforecement use) all rely on the same style of key (which is very basic). The locking mechanism is very basic too. This allows for the transfer of prisoners, without the need to hand over a set of keys as well. And no need to fumble with keys.

I was speaking with a police constable about this before and examined his cuffs to see what they use. I mentioned their lack of security to him. And that's basically what he said. They're not secure. They are only used to restrain. If you want out of them, you'll get out of them. He mentioned he has had one person actually break out of them using nothing but the cuffs themselves to leverage or pry them.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 pm 
Penguin

As long as they are not dbl locked...you can slide the pin between the teeth of the cuf and it will also work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 pm 
Emperor Penguin

kconnors wrote:
As long as they are not dbl locked...you can slide the pin between the teeth of the cuf and it will also work

Firstly, if you have a pin, you would use that to deactivate the double lock. :roll:

Secondly, that method only works on your cheap gimmicked cuffs. Which in some cases, just moving the locking arm to the side will have it slip right off the teeth. But you can't use those cuffs in performance if you expect to have them examined.

Actual real-world restraints are made with a little more thought (not a lot) to security. They have recessed inserts so the teeth sink inside the arm, and there is no way to put anything in there. Which is why they need to pe picked.

By the way, the double-lock is easily turned off without sticking anything into it.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:29 am 
born to perform.

They sell cheapie cuffs at toy stores. Try Walmart for the real deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the feedback. I've made a note on the discussion page of the article that the technique seems sound, so hopefully the article will be chosen for featuring. If anyone can think of any way to improve the article, please go for it. Here's a link to the "edit" box:

http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title= ... ction=edit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:17 pm 
born to perform.

Krys wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I've made a note on the discussion page of the article that the technique seems sound, so hopefully the article will be chosen for featuring. If anyone can think of any way to improve the article, please go for it. Here's a link to the "edit" box:

http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title= ... ction=edit

Improving the article? I don't think I would want to add anything to the article and expose anything more than already has been exposed. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Handcuff escape article accurate?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:32 am 
Penguin

why did you gave us some tips on escaping the handcuff? Do you want that criminals will do this? Then, there will be no more justice!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:35 am 
born to perform.

wayno wrote:
kconnors wrote:

Firstly, if you have a pin, you would use that to deactivate the double lock. :roll:

Secondly, that method only works on your cheap gimmicked cuffs. Which in some cases, just moving the locking arm to the side will have it slip right off the teeth. But you can't use those cuffs in performance if you expect to have them examined.

Actual real-world restraints are made with a little more thought (not a lot) to security. They have recessed inserts so the teeth sink inside the arm, and there is no way to put anything in there. Which is why they need to pe picked.

By the way, the double-lock is easily turned off without sticking anything into it.

8)

:roll: I've shimmed Smith and Wessons? I've never forked over the dough for Hyatts so I can't speak to the high end cuffs but most service issue cuffs will be a mid range cuff. The advantage in shimming is that it can be done with a hinged cuff. Hinged cuffs are more common than a Hyatt so its a much more practical technique to spend some time on. If you are going to "pick" then ditch the bobby pin and just get a handcuff key. 90% of cuffs used in the U.S. all take the same key.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 am 

coopers wrote:
why did you gave us some tips on escaping the handcuff? Do you want that criminals will do this? Then, there will be no more justice!

All he did was repost something commonly found on the internet. As it was explained, handcuffs are to temporarily restrain someone, nothing more. It would be a major law enforcement mistake if they allowed someone to be alone and unsupervised long enough to do this.

Besides, this is the Escapology section. You expect to find stuff like this here. It's what we do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 am 
Penguin

coopers wrote:

Escapes from Handcuffs should be for entertainment purposes only. If you were to get out of handcuffs while in custody of the law, then that might be considered "resisting" arrest. And then they might taser you or beat you senseless or worse...