View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spring show
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:22 pm 
Penguin

hey everybody! I have a show for 6 to 8 year olds coming up in a month or so. I have a show ready, but does anyone have any tips? This is my first paid show; I've done a free one for cub scouts before, so tips would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

Good luck, great age group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 pm 
born to perform.

Perfect age group-- they respond well. This is just the right age category for your first show.

Just be open and geniune. Treat them with respect. Just because they are kids, don't play down to them.

Also remember, if you have fun-- they will have fun. BUT, they should always come first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know if this will apply, but since the title of the post is Spring Show, it might be an outside show. If it is, I suggest you try to arrange it indoors, because there will be way too many disturbances. Althoug if this is an indoor performance, none of what I said will apply and I'll just feel like an idiot :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:44 pm 
Penguin

I would love to make some suggestions but there is really nothing to suggest since there isn't any information provided. Like salmononius2 said, find out if it's indoors or outdoors. If it's outdoors go over your routine again to make sure the outdoor elements don't affect your show. Things such as wind and sunshine are most important to factor in. Spongeballs (depending on your routine if you do them) can be a disaster with the wind. Even a simple silk and TT can become a difficult task if the wind is heavy enough. If the sun is shining just right, a square circle deception box can become obvious. If it is outside I suggest practicing your show outside so you can get a better understanding of the differences because, IT IS DIFFERENT.
Also for 6 to 8 year olds... what kinds of tricks are you going to do? How long is the show going to be? What type of event (b-day party, etc...)? How are you going to dress? Consider all those...
Especially the type of event. You will find that kids are a bit more loud in environments that they are familiar with such as their house (i.e. bday party). Make sure you are aware of those sort of things before going into the show.
If you provide us with a little more info about the show I would be more than happy to contribute my knowledge.

thanks,
Brian Styles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:05 am 
Penguin

Hello everybody, I am 23 years old college student. I need a website for street magic where it teaches you how to do street magic tricks without having to buy any books or DVD's. I would like to learn how to do quite a few card tricks, levitation, and just other tricks which can be done with things found in the streets and with people. What is the best website for street magic?

Last edited by lussika on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:38 am 
born to perform.

What you posted has nothing to do with this topic. You are asking for exposure of magic, which is against the rules. Buy a book, I recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Good day,

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:39 am 

lussika wrote:
Hello everybody, I am 23 years old college student. I need a website for street magic where it teaches you how to do street magic tricks without having to buy any books or DVD's. I would like to learn how to do quite a few card tricks, levitation, and just other tricks which can be done with things found in the streets and with people. What is the best website for street magic?

Miniserb already pointed out that iasking for secrets is a violation.

But the real thing (and I've seen this too often) is one can NOT go buy a trick and then perform it the same (or even the next) day. It takes practice andn rehearsals before you can do it in public without looking like a total idiot.

I know you want to make some "fast money." Well go rob a convenience store then. Magic is NOT the way to make money.

I am a full time magician, I perform for about 12 hours a week. I spend a good 30 hours every week rehearsing the old material. Another 10 hours perfecting new routines. Still another 10 to 12 hours doing office bookwork, including accounting and paying all the various taes I owe. And finally I spend about 5 hours a week on forums, learning what other do so I can avoid screwing up in new and different ways.

So that adds up to around 60 hours a week to earn what a lot of people earn in 40 hours. Why work my a$$ off? Because I am a magician, our art deserves the work and I do get paid very well for it. But it could be a he ll of a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:40 am 
Team Penguin

paddy wrote:
lussika wrote:

Miniserb already pointed out that iasking for secrets is a violation.

But the real thing (and I've seen this too often) is one can NOT go buy a trick and then perform it the same (or even the next) day. It takes practice andn rehearsals before you can do it in public without looking like a total idiot.

I know you want to make some "fast money." Well go rob a convenience store then. Magic is NOT the way to make money.

I am a full time magician, I perform for about 12 hours a week. I spend a good 30 hours every week rehearsing the old material. Another 10 hours perfecting new routines. Still another 10 to 12 hours doing office bookwork, including accounting and paying all the various taes I owe. And finally I spend about 5 hours a week on forums, learning what other do so I can avoid screwing up in new and different ways.

So that adds up to around 60 hours a week to earn what a lot of people earn in 40 hours. Why work my a$$ off? Because I am a magician, our art deserves the work and I do get paid very well for it. But it could be a he ll of a lot easier.

Dang Paddy! Well played!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 pm 
born to perform.

lussika wrote:

This website will teach you everything! Enjoy! 8)

http://www.mallusionist.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:22 am 

I went to that site just now. It is complete BULL$HIT! The "expose" of FRAUD by Dan Garcia claims that he made a deal with the US Treasury to print bills with a special ink that you can rub off.

Sorry Igor, The Treasury does not print counterfeit money.

I didn't go any further than that. Remember once a liar always a liar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:56 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
I went to that site just now. It is complete BULL$HIT! The "expose" of FRAUD by Dan Garcia claims that he made a deal with the US Treasury to print bills with a special ink that you can rub off.

Paddy, that website is a joke. It was created by Brad Christian to fool people into thinking they were getting magic secrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:

Ahh, come on Paddy. That would be great for him to learn like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:33 am 

ALRIGHT the website was a joke. I did believe that there were people dumb enough to believe what was on the site and missed the humour in it.