View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Routines for Kid Shows
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:16 am 
born to perform.

Hey guys.

I need a bit of help with picking out some routines for my kids shows. Can someone direct me to a kids routine that last 5-10 minutes or longer?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:23 pm 
born to perform.

There are lots of tricks that will last at least 5 min. Make sure the trick fits in with your show through a theme or through patter. What helps make a trick last longer and more entertaining, is to use a helper. When a child comes up to help, joke arround with him. Find out things like how old he is, where he works, who he's married to ect. Introducing your trick, picking a helper, and greeting your helper on stage, has now been at least 2-3 min.
Now begin your trick. Use things like the break away wand, nesting wands, and the dirty hand towel to make it longer and more entertaining.
Performing the trick could take another 2-3 min. Especially if you choose to have the trick go wrong at first. Maybe it didn't work because the wand broke, or you forgot the magic words.
Then end you trick, thank your helper, and make him a balloon animal.
Your now done with a trick that lasted 5 minutes or more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

Wow, asking him those questions would get a nice laugh! How did I not think of that? Anyway, anyone else with some tricks they could tell me about?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:21 pm 
Penguin

I will get on this before the other pros do. What research have you done on kid shows? obviously not a lot as what coendog13 stated is really kid show 101. Please do all of us a favour and research this art more before performing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
I will get on this before the other pros do. What research have you done on kid shows? obviously not a lot as what coendog13 stated is really kid show 101. Please do all of us a favour and research this art more before performing it.

Trust me, I've done more kid shows then you have. I was just looking for MORE routines, I have plenty that go over well and everywhere I perform they love me.

Again, all I'm looking for is some more long routines. I have plenty right now, and I would consider myself experienced in this field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:32 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
I recently watched a kids magician at a local library. He has a nice routine about catching reading bugs. He does balloon animals first, then magic. He does a quick appearing wand, them into sponge balls. He then does Bill Abbot's The Thing, and then into professor's nightmare. He then does a ripped and restored newspaper, and I believe he ends with Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream routine. Not sure of the order, but those are the tricks he does for a 45 minute show. You could adjust the patter and shorten the routine for however long the show should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:21 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
Glamourboy wrote:

Trust me, I've done more kid shows then you have. I was just looking for MORE routines, I have plenty that go over well and everywhere I perform they love me.

Again, all I'm looking for is some more long routines. I have plenty right now, and I would consider myself experienced in this field.

If you're experienced, you should know that other working professionals, books, and videos are the best places to get this kind of information, not a forum of amateurs. No offense meant to everyone here, I'm an amateur as well.

If you want paddy, sluggo, fallingblood, and the other pros to answer your questions, PM or email them for responses.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:24 am 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
I recently watched a kids magician at a local library. He has a nice routine about catching reading bugs. He does balloon animals first, then magic. He does a quick appearing wand, them into sponge balls. He then does Bill Abbot's The Thing, and then into professor's nightmare. He then does a ripped and restored newspaper, and I believe he ends with Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream routine. Not sure of the order, but those are the tricks he does for a 45 minute show. You could adjust the patter and shorten the routine for however long the show should be.

I just took a look at this. Does it involve only coins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:35 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
Maloney123 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:

Yes. I talked to him after the show and he showed me how the stuff works. It is just coins and a normal bucket. Hope that isn't exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:

Yes. I talked to him after the show and he showed me how the stuff works. It is just coins and a normal bucket. Hope that isn't exposure.

Thats not exposure. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:55 pm 
Penguin

Bicycle12 wrote:

I just saw Chris Capehart's lecture last night, his miser dream routine is hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:41 am 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
Glamourboy wrote:

I agree with Glamourboy, these are 101 stuff. You seemed impressed with them. Which leaves me to believe that you aren't as experienced as you brag that you are.
People with experience do not come on here and ask for routines, we just go back to our various reference material and go thru it to see if anything is there that we missed or jars an idea.
What are some of your reference material?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 am 
born to perform.

sluggo wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Glamourboy wrote:

I agree with Glamourboy, these are 101 stuff. You seemed impressed with them. Which leaves me to believe that you aren't as experienced as you brag that you are.
People with experience do not come on here and ask for routines, we just go back to our various reference material and go thru it to see if anything is there that we missed or jars an idea.
What are some of your reference material?

Oh, so I'm bragging?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:44 pm 
born to perform.

Glad to hear you liked his lecture. Paddy highly recommends Chris Capehart's DVDs. I know he especially likes his miser's dream.

Maloney, there isn't any reason to get defensive. Sluggo is a professional and I think he truly wants to know what reference materials you have to work from. Perhaps he can recommend new material.

There are times that I can go crazy when trying to come up with new routines, patter, and storylines. But you just have to remain patient. A good way to start is to search your reference materials, view different magic website and look at what they offer for sale. Rarely will professional magicians tell you what to do; however I have found my magician friends are always willing to help bounce ideas once I have come up with the foundation.

If I may ask, what kind of experience in magic do you have? Kid shows, stage, parlour, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:52 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Glad to hear you liked his lecture. Paddy highly recommends Chris Capehart's DVDs. I know he especially likes his miser's dream.

Maloney, there isn't any reason to get defensive. Sluggo is a professional and I think he truly wants to know what reference materials you have to work from. Perhaps he can recommend new material.

There are times that I can go crazy when trying to come up with new routines, patter, and storylines. But you just have to remain patient. A good way to start is to search your reference materials, view different magic website and look at what they offer for sale. Rarely will professional magicians tell you what to do; however I have found my magician friends are always willing to help bounce ideas once I have come up with the foundation.

If I may ask, what kind of experience in magic do you have? Kid shows, stage, parlour, etc?

I've done shows for all three. I'm not pro level yet, but I have done a few shows.