View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "in your face" magic
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:06 pm 
Penguin

Hi, I'm new to these forums and let me just say I've read some of the posts and things you people have discussed and found it very interesting. Now straight to the point:

I am in need of tricks that are straight out, will get a "oh-my-god" and that can be done on the spot. Currently the tricks i like to do include:
TT plus silk
pen through paper (rarely do this one)
do as i do (card trick)
find there card using league back bicycle cards and add some fake mind reading on top.
was thinking of getting invisible string...

obviously i know more but thats just the basics that i use in public / to friends

Is there anything else that can be done straight in the persons face that doesn't take to much time to perform? If you know any tricks, please let me know, thanks!

and i don't expect to be taught how there done i will buy the trick from the magic shop =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:33 pm 
Penguin

SPONGE BALLS !! They are cheap, easy, and get awesome reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:21 pm 
born to perform.

dont go with sponge balls. you said you want something quick if you dont already have it get extreme burn of self-tying shoelace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:45 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
I am in need of tricks that are straight out, will get a "oh-my-god" and that can be done on the spot.

Any trick can recieve a "oh my god" response, but once again it comes back to presentation. With your TT try something different, Vanish some water, sand or perform a bill switch. If your presentation is good any of those can get a "oh my god".
With your "pen through paper" i'm assuming you've got the B2 bomber/stealth pen, if so stab it right through someone's $50 note. Once again it boils down to presentation, I've recieved "oh my gods" from presenting it as a "torn and restored" effect.
Presentation is key.
As for products that I reccomend,

Quote:
can be done on the spot

Gregory Wislon's on the spot. Ordinary items. Extrordinary magic.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=466

If your not using the Stealth pen/B2 Bomber "method" i would also
reccomend one of those.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=481

If you're after an Invisible thread trick.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=747'

But just search the forums there are plenty of topics like this one.

Bowie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:57 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the opinions / tips / suggestions guys, keep them coming! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:09 pm 
Penguin

I get "Oh My God" reactions from Twisted Sisters by John Bannon and Exteme Burn by Richard Sanders both require little sleight of hand and really are great effects. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm 
born to perform.

First, you have to have good presentation. The trick gets half the reaction.

A great Dvd for impromptu tricks is Anytime, Anywhere by Jay Sankey

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=8848

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 pm 
born to perform.

Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
dont go with sponge balls. you said you want something quick if you dont already have it get extreme burn of self-tying shoelace

STS is very quick and would get a good reaction. What you should do is just do a couple of tricks and see if the spec notices your shoelace is untied. If they do just say "Oh I can handle that" and perform it. If they don't notice it, just casually bring up that its undone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 am 
born to perform.

I was going to recommend the magic coin box since it will take you 5 seconds to learn it once you open the box, and it gets amazing reactions, and its cheap! but I guess others took my advice and bought some already, it's currently out of stock :(

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=7130

spectators are just baffled by you getting a signed coin into a sealed bag, inside a sealed box inside another sealed box in like 2 seconds. I highly recommend 1 once they're back in stock.

Invisible deck is pretty much a must have and pretty easy to perform, great reactions:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1645

lol and I recently bought coin con, it's a beginner magic trick but i've already made back double it's cost off friends just by using it randomly when i'm doing magic. (me:"ooops it disappeared" friend: "lol, here have another quarter, plz do a trick!")

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=7124

I like to search out bargain beginner magic products like these because they can be easily incorporated into more complex tricks to make them seem 10 times as amazing and even if you decide never to use it, it hardly cost you anything. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:36 am 
born to perform.

hollisd wrote:
I get "Oh My God" reactions from Twisted Sisters by John Bannon and Exteme Burn by Richard Sanders both require little sleight of hand and really are great effects. Hope this helps.

I second that :D twisted sisters rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 am 
Penguin

quicksilver from on the spot by gregory wilson is a great trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 pm 
born to perform.

As has been mentioned, presentation is a key factor in the reactions you get. I've gotten amazing reactions from the simplest tricks - because of presentation. I've also done what should be impressive illusions with ho-hum reactions when my handling or performance has been unpracticed, badly timed, uninteresting or otherwise 'off' in some way.

Some illusions that have received some serious flipped-out reactions for me are:

Gregory Wilson's "3/4 Across" (which is on his "On The Spot" DVD).
Jay Sankey's "Holy Moly."
"Bye George" by Jerry Somerdin
"Optical Wallet" by JB Magic
Invisible Deck
Gregory Wilson's "FreaKey."
Amazing Jumping Arrow
Bill changes (using a TT)
Torn & Restored Sweetener Package (as created by Richard Osterlind and using a TT)
Vodka & Orange Juice (Bascially, it's 'Scotch & Soda' with a U.S. golden dollar coin and a U.S. quarter. No more English pennies!)
Gregory Wilson's "Questionable Trick" (also on his "On The Spot DVD).

Vanishings and appearances can be strong. Anytime you can do some sort of transposition, it has the potential for obtaining good reactions. If you can make the change IN THEIR HANDS, then the reactions tend to become even more animated. Whenever possible, use common, familiar objects or even borrowed objects. If people associate with it on a personal level, they tend to react in a manner that is generally the reason us magicians do what we do. Bring the spectators in with your patter/storyline/actions. Get them to go from curious to involved. Ask questions, remember names, be engaging and friendly and whenever possible, let them handle/examine the items you are utilizing and you'll draw them into the performance. Draw them into the performance and when the magic happens, they'll have too much of their attention invested to give you anything less than a reaction to match your stellar performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am 
Penguin

sebishungry wrote:
hollisd wrote:

I second that :D twisted sisters rocks!

EXTREME BURN IS EPIC AND "in your face"