View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic or Witchcraft?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 am 
Emperor Penguin

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 65&forum=5

:) You decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:19 am 

Yep, I've run into that too. I am in the Cincinnati OH area and we do have people from Appalachia and rural areas that still believe that we are WITCHES! When I get booked at churches some have requested that I don't bring in cards "because cards are the devil's work."

I have also been asked to not mention Harry Potter. Religion and logic are not always compatible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:28 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Yep, I've run into that too. I am in the Cincinnati OH area and we do have people from Appalachia and rural areas that still believe that we are WITCHES! When I get booked at churches some have requested that I don't bring in cards "because cards are the devil's work."

I have also been asked to not mention Harry Potter. Religion and logic are not always compatible.

A lot of it is simple ignorance. People are of the mistaken belief that Playing cards evolved from Tarot cards, which were developed for fortune telling. Fact is I was of this mistaken belief. Turns out that Playing cards have been in existence for a LOT longer than the tarot, and that the tarot came a lot later.

As for Harry Potter. To many churches there is no difference between stories about Witchcraft, and the Occult, even if written as pure entertainment, and Witchcraft itself, or the occult. And it is their belief that Witchcraft exists, and has something to do with Satan. When Wiccans are basically nature lovers and worshipers that pre-dated Christianity.

As I see it the main problem is one of.." If our pastor says it it must be true, if anyone disagrees it's the devil." Kind of hard for them to get any info independant of their denomination since they do not believe in science being " neutral". All one can do is keep them in prayer. ( not trying to be funny )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:30 am 
Emperor Penguin

I've seen this as well. It's quite ridiculous that people still have these illogical beliefs. In a time of so much information, the fact that people still believe in witchcraft is simply crazy. Yet, I have performed for a couple of witches. Which was an interesting experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:28 pm 

fallingblood wrote:
... Yet, I have performed for a couple of witches. Which was an interesting experience.

Yep, same here except mine were spelled with a "B." Those can be rough gigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:55 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
fallingblood wrote:
... Yet, I have performed for a couple of witches. Which was an interesting experience.

HA!

I've been accused of being Satan on several occasions and of using witchcraft as well. My typical answer is, if I could do real magic, do you think I'd be here. . . doing cards tricks . . . for YOU? No. I'd be in Hollywood living in a house made of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
paddy wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

HA!

I've been accused of being Satan on several occasions and of using witchcraft as well. My typical answer is, if I could do real magic, do you think I'd be here. . . doing cards tricks . . . for YOU? No. I'd be in Hollywood living in a house made of money.

lmao... a house .. made of money... I almost spit soda on the keyboard from laughing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

clarissa35f wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
paddy wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

HA!

lmao... a house .. made of money... I almost spit soda on the keyboard from laughing...

"Your pizza is here sir!"
From inside - "I left the money on the portch". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
paddy wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

HA!

I would be careful with fire effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
paddy wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

HA!

How many Extreme Burn Gimmicks would it take ...to turn a house made out of singles into a house made out of hundreds? hmmm.... would probably beat the world record for the worlds biggest illusion :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 pm 
born to perform.

clarissa35f wrote:
sirbrad wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
paddy wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

HA!

How many Extreme Burn Gimmicks would it take ...to turn a house made out of singles into a house made out of hundreds? hmmm.... would probably beat the world record for the worlds biggest illusion :-)

What a silly question.
I'm magic remember, my house was always made of hundreds (never use the cheap materials). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 pm 
Penguin

Hahaha !!!

A house MADE of money would be an interesting sight, why didn't the three little pigs try that ? Because they were broke that's why.

Anyway, i've been accused of black magic and all that nonsense. A couple of weeks ago i was showing some basic card tricks to this guy i met, we were simply talking about psychology and why magic is entertaining and all of that, so i turned a 7 of hearts face down on the table and turned to this girl who was sitting there watching and was about to do a verbal force and she politely said "Oh i'm sorry, i can't do it today" and i asked "Why?" and her response, "It's sunday". She had some issue with thinking of a card on this 'holy day'.

Thankfully i rarely get it anymore. The fact that i don't use the word 'magic' in my performances at all might help.

I remember when i first started doing tables over 10 years ago and i was about to do a trick and this woman said "Is this satanic ?" to which i replied "No, it's the Invisible Deck" and she nodded and continued.
I have no idea what she thought then.

I bet Eugene Burger gets it all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 pm 
Penguin

Well I think that we should be sensitive to other peoples needs. Let's not be called "Magicians" lets be called"Ilusionists"! We shouldn't call them "magic tricks" we should call them " Ilusions"! Well lets just finish it all of instead of "Magic" we should call it "Ilusion".

Come on give us a break people! If we say Illusion then we are pretty much saying there is a gimmick or sleight of hand, "Try and Spot it!" If I was coughing to cover the sarcasm my internal organs would be lying on the keyboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:19 am 
born to perform.

I have been nicely turned down before because of a person's beliefs, but I haven't been called satan yet :? that seems like a really extreme and ignorant comment...
that house of money comment sounds pretty convincing though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:22 am 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
Well I think that we should be sensitive to other peoples needs. Let's not be called "Magicians" lets be called"Ilusionists"! We shouldn't call them "magic tricks" we should call them " Ilusions"! Well lets just finish it all of instead of "Magic" we should call it "Ilusion".

There's a reason as to why many of us like to call it magic, not simply tricks or illusions, let me just find that from another thread for you, as to what they call me I don't mind as long as it's not satan ;)