View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 am 
born to perform.

Depends on the setting, but i like a jacket with casual jeans and a nice shirt :D

So I'd say i preffer jackets :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:14 am 
Penguin

If anyone has been convinced to make the switch to wearing a jacket, please keep this in mind...

Practice all your tricks with in on BEFORE you just put it on and start performing. There are some subtle differences that you have to take into account when wearing a sleeve that is by nature kind of loose. You can get tied be the sleeve at the wrong moment or something like that. You must also be cautious not to make any gestures that make it look like you are using the sleeves to make things dissapear. I know we all get tired of hearing it, but that one guy will always ask what is up your sleeve.

However, if you sell the trick like someone mentioned earlier, you probably won't have to worry about it as much. My performance character is also just a hyped-up version of me. As long as you an make them beleive, and be entertained, they really won't care where the quarter went. All they know is that they had a good time watching it vanish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:02 am 
born to perform.

I dont like wearing a jacket cause then the spectators may think it went up your sleeve or something along those lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 am 
born to perform.

shteig613 wrote:
I dont like wearing a jacket cause then the spectators may think it went up your sleeve or something along those lines.

Considering that vanishes (other than TTand Silk) are rare in restaurant magic - I doubt that.
Secondly, if your're doing your job, they shouldn't be trying to figure it out. You'll get a handful of hecklers - but that's what they invented tazers for. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:26 pm 
born to perform.

I was referring to Sponge Balls- and no matter how good you are hecklers will be hecklers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:07 am 
born to perform.

shteig613 wrote:
I was referring to Sponge Balls- and no matter how good you are hecklers will be hecklers!

I never use sponges for restaurants. Greasy hands, people tearing them, etc. I use to, but four balls never lasted the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:57 pm 
Penguin

depends on the temperature and trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:11 pm 
Penguin

One question. Are hats appropriate? If so what kind of hats. If I did preform I would go with a vest not a jacket because I don't like the sleeves. Maybe I should get a top hat and try and pull off a Gazzo look! Oh wait-only Gazzo can pull off a Gazzo look. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:07 am 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
One question. Are hats appropriate? If so what kind of hats. If I did preform I would go with a vest not a jacket because I don't like the sleeves. Maybe I should get a top hat and try and pull off a Gazzo look! Oh wait-only Gazzo can pull off a Gazzo look. :(

Hats depend on your character.
Paddy is an old time medicine man (who characteristically wear bowlers) Paddy wears a bowler hat - appropriate.
Gazzo wears a bowler, not a top hat.

Top hats are rather overplayed, and aren't suggested. You shouldn't be wearing a cap either. It runs down to bowlers, fedorahs, and. . . no that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the correcion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:26 pm 
born to perform.

I live and perform in Central Florida and I also sweat when I get nervous, (I'm always nervous at the start of a performance for the first few minutes until I get into my 'groove'). Wearing a jacket most of the time means that I'm soaked in sweat through my shirt and sometimes through the back of the jacket literally within minutes of beginning my performance and sometime prior to performing. Dripping sweat in my eyes and wearing clothes that are wet and sticking to me is not conducive to giving my audience the performance they deserve.

When performing for churches, I actually don't wear a jacket most of the time. I'd say it's about 40% of the time in those cases. When performing a stage or parlour show indoors, I usually start with a jacket and remove it after the show gets going. Wearing it to start shows my professionalism, but taking it off kind of puts you in touch with the audience a bit and, although it's a subtle thing, I like it. Usually in those situations, I'm dressed somewhat casually under the jacket so as to be more comfortable.
I've done walk-around where I had a jacket and walk-around where I didn't have a jacket. Depends on the venue and event. I've done corporate gigs where I did walk-around and corporate gigs at company picnic type events where it involved the families of employees and was casual. I've loaded my pockets, carried a small close-up case, (that is felt-covered so it works as a close-up pad AND it's a PK nut & bolt trick in and of itself), and done magic in a t-shirt and cargo pants.

Street magic or performing outdoors I never do with a jacket on. Ever.
(Watch...now that I've said 'never,' I'll get a gig where I'll be outside at noon on the hottest day of the year and the client will want me to wear a black jacket!)

It really depends on the type of show you're doing, your audience and/or employer, your personal preference and even the atmospheric conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:09 am 
Penguin

if its a fancy place then yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:25 pm 
born to perform.

I can't stand jackets, they don't feel comfortable on me, but I do have a few jeans with HUMONGOUS pockets that I can keep so much stuff in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:08 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
I can't stand jackets, they don't feel comfortable on me, but I do have a few jeans with HUMONGOUS pockets that I can keep so much stuff in...

Which looks unprofessional, bulgy, and "like your pockets are full of stuff".

Jeans aren't appropriate working clothes - not for a magician anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:12 pm 

I always wear a jacket, in fact I always were designer suits. Class dress for a class act. My restaurant gigs have always been higher end so looking good is expected.

I also wear my routine in a shoulder-rig, so the jacket covers this. On very rare occasions I will wear dress pants and dress shirt without the jacket, but that is for restaurants were its very warm and I only need 2 or 3 effects on my person per table.

Attending and performing at the Magic Castle has a strict dress code, so wearing a suit and tie is normal…

Note this: it is always good practice to dress a little ‘higher” than the clientele, that way, you stand out as an entertainer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next