View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:28 am 
born to perform.

I strongly believe this is why we should call magic, magic, not tricks or illusions, quote from SorenErich's thread:

"When you are a magician, people are always asking you how you did an effect. They ask in amazement, not really wishing to know how a trick was done. They ask trying to calm their mind or hoping to see the trick again. But most of all, they ask hoping to hear something that will give them hope in a world full of pain. They are not asking you to teach them how to do the effect. What they are asking is for assurance. They are asking you to give them something that nobody else can. They are asking you to tell them that there is still something magical left to believe in. "

and for those simple minded people who accuse us of witchcraft and such, I say let them go ahead and live a life without knowing the awe and comfort of magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:21 am 
Penguin

Sebis I was being sarcastic, and was trying to imitate a Dr.Phil or Oprah type response to the question. Of course I think it should be called magic. As I said in my previous post calling it an illusion immediatly makes a spectator look for how it's done instead of apreciating a good trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:22 am 

PatrickS wrote:
Well I think that we should be sensitive to other peoples needs. ...
Yes, but Fritz Perls, a noted psychologist, always pointed out, my needs are food, water, shelter, and perhaps clothes depending on the climate. Everything else is a desire.

If people want to believe I am a witch I can't stop them. I will continue to make my living performing for other people. In the bible belt of the United States you will run across that attitude, so perform at other places where the nuts don't hang out. they have their superstitions and I have mine we just don't try to convert each other.

Last edited by paddy on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:22 am 
born to perform.

oh ok, I seem to be unable to pick up sarcasm in the past few days... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:33 pm 
Penguin

You could always bring a bottle of Holy Water and when they claim you are a witch or a servent of Satan, you could magically produce it, tip it on your head and say "Happy ?"

Maybe thats why Criss Angel wears so many crosses around his neck, so people do not think he is some kind of evil demon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:01 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
PatrickS wrote:
Well I think that we should be sensitive to other peoples needs. Let's not be called "Magicians" lets be called"Ilusionists"! We shouldn't call them "magic tricks" we should call them " Ilusions"! Well lets just finish it all of instead of "Magic" we should call it "Ilusion".

There's a reason as to why many of us like to call it magic, not simply tricks or illusions, let me just find that from another thread for you, as to what they call me I don't mind as long as it's not satan ;)

I hate it when someone comes up to me demanding to see a "trick". I hate when they say that because in my mind they think its just fake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:03 pm 
Penguin

I don't mind 'trick', because that's what it is. In my case anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 am 

When someone wants to "see a trick" I explain the dogs and hookers do tricks, I am a magician, I perform effects.

Another line is "I am a magician, I magish, aren't you glad I'm not a wizard."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 am 
born to perform.

Incognito wrote:
I don't mind 'trick', because that's what it is. In my case anyway.

The spec isn't supposed to know that my friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:15 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
When someone wants to "see a trick" I explain the dogs and hookers do tricks, I am a magician, I perform effects.

Another line is "I am a magician, I magish, aren't you glad I'm not a wizard."

I don't get that line, can you please explain since my brain seems to have shut down :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:28 pm 

First, let's get the permissions out of the way:

This line is copyrighted by Bill Palmer and cannot be used without permission. Permission is easy enough to obtain if you're polite enough to ask the owner. Stealing a line from a performer is as bad as stealing money from somone.

Now on to the explanation.

Think about it: If a magician "magishes" what would a wizard do, "wizz?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 pm 
born to perform.

ah okay thanks, My mind seems to have frozen lately :) I would NEVER use a line anyway unless I was sure someone has never used it before or I had permission :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 pm 
Penguin

I don't mind calling them "tricks" or having other people call them that. After all, that is what they are. I never understood the whole concept about being so hung up on making sure they're called "illusions" or "effects" or whatever. And I've never gotten insulting people or demeaning them by exclaiming "Kids do tricks, I perform magic" or something like that. I think we're taking ourselves way too seriously if we're doing that. I know they're tricks, the spectators know they're tricks. So why not call them that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:01 pm 
born to perform.

Because some people want to believe there is something magical left in this world, and we as magician's can show them that, even though we know they are tricks, if performed right they may see it as far more than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:19 pm 

DaveV wrote:
First, let's get the permissions out of the way:

This line is copyrighted by Bill Palmer and cannot be used without permission. Permission is easy enough to obtain if you're polite enough to ask the owner. Stealing a line from a performer is as bad as stealing money from somone.

Now on to the explanation.

Think about it: If a magician "magishes" what would a wizard do, "wizz?"

I did not know that it was Bill's line or that he had copywrited that line. I will contact him for permission. Thanks for telling me.

Peter