View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 pm 
Penguin

sebishungry wrote:
Because some people want to believe there is something magical left in this world, and we as magician's can show them that, even though we know they are tricks, if performed right they may see it as far more than that.

I will just respectively disagree. I think I can still stay in character and have the same magical effect on the spectators by referring to them as tricks. It's just a wording and a matter of preference and semantics. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:57 pm 
born to perform.

Lash wrote:
sebishungry wrote:
Because some people want to believe there is something magical left in this world, and we as magician's can show them that, even though we know they are tricks, if performed right they may see it as far more than that.

I will just respectively disagree. I think I can still stay in character and have the same magical effect on the spectators by referring to them as tricks. It's just a wording and a matter of preference and semantics. That's all.

I will disagree to that one. If a spectator asks to see some "tricks", they know that its just that, tricks. Nothing magical, although it looks like it. If a spectator comes and asks to see some "magic", then they think that certain people have powers and can do things other people can't. Its simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 pm 
born to perform.

How many people believe "magic" is real. I would guess 10%. But I would agree that its important for some, in order to stay in character, to project their magic as being real. But at the end, most know it was all tricks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 pm 
born to perform.

coendog13 wrote:
How many people believe "magic" is real. I would guess 10%. But I would agree that its important for some, in order to stay in character, to project their magic as being real. But at the end, most know it was all tricks anyway.

Yes, but they could be skeptical if you perform great, and they can't come up with an explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:24 pm 
Penguin

I will have to jump back and disagree again from MY PERSONAL presentational style. I mainly do card manipulation and sleight of hand, so that's what i say i am doing.
I don't do things that are only achievable by magic, in fact, i would hope that my audiences would be aware that if i was doing magic i would be doing something different to what i am doing.

For some performers, pretending it's magic, works for them and that's okay. When i did use the word magic, it was always a non-answer. Kind of "It wasn't sleight of hand, it wasn't psychology, it was something else i will not say" but if anybody asked "Was it magic ?" i would not say "Yes" because that is simply not the case.

If people want to think my finding 20 selected cards (or whatever) is a demonstration of MAGIC POWERS then they can, but they certainly will not be prompted by me and that is certainly not my desired outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 pm 
Penguin

My audience knows that I am a magician. It is a character I portray, not someone who has real powers and they realize this. I don't go out of my way to repeat to them that what I'm doing isn't real as I think that is ridiculous. I portray it as real magic even though the audience knows (or should know) that isn't the case. But nonetheless it is enteraining because of the way the magic is presented. Magic should never be presented as a puzzle or something to be figured out (although there will always be a few inquisitive minds who will do just that). My audience shouldn't leave after I am done performing thinking about "methods" or "how it was accomplished." If that's the case, then I believe I have failed as an entertainer. They don't have to be "skeptical" or fail to come up with an explanationin order to be enchanted by the performer. We all know when we watch a movie or stage performer that the characters aren't real. Instead they are just actors portraying characters. But if the acting is really good, we get engulfed in it and it seems real even though we know it's just acting. The vast majority of people realize magic isn't real, but are still entertained because it is presented as real. Calling it tricks as opposed to effects or illusions doesn't change that or destroy the entertainment value for the audience. It's all in how you present it, not in how you word it.

Last edited by Lash on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:19 am 
Penguin

hahahahaha that story is kind of funny. i would have done the same thing and been cautious though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:59 am 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
I will disagree to that one. If a spectator asks to see some "tricks", they know that its just that, tricks. Nothing magical, although it looks like it. If a spectator comes and asks to see some "magic", then they think that certain people have powers and can do things other people can't. Its simple.

Plenty of people ask me if I will show them "magic," and they know full-well that I am not going to do a ritual to fix their love life!
You can't possibly judge what a person believes about magic by the way they refer to it!
I call things "magic," rather than "tricks," so in your line of reasoning, that means that I "think that certain people have powers..." which is incorrect.
Your reasoning is a bit flawed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:20 pm 
Penguin

cameronb wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

Plenty of people ask me if I will show them "magic," and they know full-well that I am not going to do a ritual to fix their love life!
You can't possibly judge what a person believes about magic by the way they refer to it!
I call things "magic," rather than "tricks," so in your line of reasoning, that means that I "think that certain people have powers..." which is incorrect.
Your reasoning is a bit flawed.

Amen Cameron. Couldn't have said it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:00 pm 
Penguin

We magicians are all little devils working for satan :twisted: :twisted: LOL some people need to get out and see the real world some time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 pm 
Penguin

The one time I will use the words "trick" or "illusion" is when I am supposedly explaining a trick or use it as misdirection,i.e. they look for something so they don't see the real move.