View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
I always wear a jacket, in fact I always were designer suits. Class dress for a class act. My restaurant gigs have always been higher end so looking good is expected.

I also wear my routine in a shoulder-rig, so the jacket covers this. On very rare occasions I will wear dress pants and dress shirt without the jacket, but that is for restaurants were its very warm and I only need 2 or 3 effects on my person per table.

Attending and performing at the Magic Castle has a strict dress code, so wearing a suit and tie is normal…

Note this: it is always good practice to dress a little ‘higher” than the clientele, that way, you stand out as an entertainer.

Thats actually dead on. Usually when I'm doing stage shows for grown ups with a lot of mentalism I would wear a jacket, but when its walk around or kids shows I won't wear one. I have never performed in a restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:47 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
sebishungry wrote:
I can't stand jackets, they don't feel comfortable on me, but I do have a few jeans with HUMONGOUS pockets that I can keep so much stuff in...

Which looks unprofessional, bulgy, and "like your pockets are full of stuff".

Jeans aren't appropriate working clothes - not for a magician anyway.

depends where and who you perform to, and no I can have my pockets full and you would think it's empty... also depends on color of jeans, I always wear black which actually looks formal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:55 pm 

I have seen “smart casual” which is Jeans, dress shoes, dress shirt and jacket. That is how I dress when I go out and I am not performing. However, Jeff McBride told me something which I totally agree with, “If you dress casual, you will only be a casual magician.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:18 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
Which looks unprofessional, bulgy, and "like your pockets are full of stuff".

depends where and who you perform for, and no I can have my pockets full and you would think it's empty...

No it really doesn't. If you're going to "work" (the subject of the thread) you need to look like you're working, not like you're hanging out.

As for your pockets looking empty, I seriously doubt that. Unless of course your jeans are REALLY baggy, in which case they are even less appropriate. Denim shows item outlines as well as any other fabric.

Quote:
also depends on color of jeans, I always wear black which actually looks formal.

Black jeans are jeans none the less. A different color isn't a loophole.
Frankly, black jeans are counterproductive. If you're wearing blue jeans you can pass it as "smart casual", if you're wearing black jeans, you look like you're "trying to look formal" - which is far worse.

DerZauberer wrote:
I have seen “smart casual” which is Jeans, dress shoes, dress shirt and jacket. That is how I dress when I go out and I am not performing. However, Jeff McBride told me something which I totally agree with, “If you dress casual, you will only be a casual magician.”

McBride has really become the magic version of Confusious hasn't he. Anyway, it's good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:26 pm 

I wear jeans (black) every day of the week. Except when I'm performing. For that, I switch to something like Dockers or equivalent where I can handle pocket management issues better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:29 pm 
born to perform.

I wear dress pants usually. I've never performed in jeans, ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 am 

A friend of mine started to produce a line of vests made for magicians. I just got mine. They cost US$135 but are GREAT!!! As soon as his site is ready I'll post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:04 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:

I somewhat disagree. I wear black Levi's 550's all the time. Black sometimes helps in hiding magical things and happenings and looks slightly more professional than typical "blue" jeans. However, I do wear blue jeans on occasion. With a t-shirt and a jacket or with a t-shirt and an un-tucked, un-buttoned dress shirt over it, (now in both cases I utilize my High Caliber holster). Sometimes with a vest instead of the jacket, (I obviously don't wear the holster with the vest).

I agree that you should have some kind of prop management system that is outside of your jeans' pockets. ...But I don't think jeans are necessarily bad costuming for magicians - depending, of course, upon the situation/venue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:13 pm 

RadioRob wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:

I somewhat disagree. I wear black Levi's 550's all the time. Black sometimes helps in hiding magical things and happenings and looks slightly more professional than typical "blue" jeans. However, I do wear blue jeans on occasion. With a t-shirt and a jacket or with a t-shirt and an un-tucked, un-buttoned dress shirt over it, (now in both cases I utilize my High Caliber holster). Sometimes with a vest instead of the jacket, (I obviously don't wear the holster with the vest).
I agree that you should have some kind of prop management system that is outside of your jeans' pockets. ...But I don't think jeans are necessarily bad costuming for magicians - depending, of course, upon the situation/venue.

Why not? I can't button the vest, but otherwise my Ricochet holster works quite well under my vest. The only time I have the vest buttoned is when I have a jacket on, so then the holster goes over the vest and under the coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:33 pm 
Penguin

If your preforming environment will allow it try wearing a dress shirt with what I call "work khaki's" or in other words a pair of khaki's that have cargo pockets. The look nice,can hold lot's of gear, and your not craming pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 pm 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
If your preforming environment will allow it try wearing a dress shirt with what I call "work khaki's" or in other words a pair of khaki's that have cargo pockets. The look nice,can hold lot's of gear, and your not craming pockets.

Cargo pants! Where do you people get this stuff!?

Unless your performing environment is a schoolyard or a street corner, you have no business wearing cargo pants to perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 am 
Penguin

I did not say cargo pants I said pants with cargo pockets. You can get some nice khakis with them. And this would be for a casual restaurant or preforming environment. Look at my previous post.

Quote:

Okay? And a restaurant where a friend of mine works has there uniform consist of Company T-shirts and jeans/shorts. How is a dress shirt and khaki's going to look trashy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:21 am 
born to perform.

I find for me a light jacket gets me through the day fine (I live where it is cold) But in the summer I put on a thin vest that matches my jacket. I tell people I rip the sleeves off.

Juliegel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:50 am 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
I did not say cargo pants I said pants with cargo pockets. You can get some nice khakis with them. And this would be for a casual restaurant or preforming environment. Look at my previous post.

The pockets are what make them "cargo pants" Patrick - beign Khaki doesn't make them any less cargo pants.

Quote:
Okay? And a restaurant where a friend of mine works has there uniform consist of Company T-shirts and jeans/shorts. How is a dress shirt and khaki's going to look trashy?

Okay, that could a be a Chili's - what's your point? You're not a server you shouldn't be dressing like one. Look at the manager, you should be wearing something closer to what he's wearing (if not higher class), and I guarantee the manager isn't wearing a T-shirt and Jeans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:06 am 

Patrick, Dustin is right. The large pockets make the pants Cargo Pants, not the colour. In the restaurant, as an entertainer, you represent the restaurant much like a corporate manager without the power. We have to appear better dressed than the staff and the customers (except in fine dining 4 & 5 star restaurants.) We also want to be SEEN as an entertainer. If you are dressed in cargo pants, or like the staff, you will be asked to bring water, or food to the table because the customers will think you're staff. Hey, even in my costume I have been asked to do that and I am obviously an entertainer. Remember PRESENTATION is the name of the game we play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next