View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cleaning coins
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:11 pm 
Team Penguin

I have a copper silver coin and on the silver side of the coin, im getting like a greenish ring around it. I keep my set inside a very dry economy coin purse. I keep it in my pocket all the time as well. does anyone know whats going on here?? any way I can clean it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm 
Penguin

You are getting the green because the silver is oxidizing, you might want to try silver tarnish remover. The remover is the one that smells like rotten eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:12 pm 
Team Penguin

has anybody tried windex?? I dont wanna try anything because its teqnically not a real coin. It is probably made with something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:24 pm 

Yes, it's probably made from real coins. The green is on the edges only? Probably the solder alloy used to attach the two half coins together. You also said you keep it in a coin purse. Leather perhaps? There are residual chemicals left in the leather from the tanning and dying process that adversely affects metal. I used to have my leather C&B balls sitting on top of my cups until I noticed corrosion spots where the balls were resting. Now I store them separately. You should store your gaffed coins in something besides the coin purse and only use the purse to transport them the day of a show.

Windex won't hurt anything. It probably won't help much either. :? A good copper polish is probably what you need to remove the green oxidation. Don't laugh, and I haven't tried it on any corrosion as severe as yours, but ketchup and a little salt cleans copper coins extremely well. The vinegar is an acid that attacks the corrosion and the salt along with being a mild abrasive helps speed up the process. It won't cost you anything to try, especially if you eat at McDonald's. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 am 
Emperor Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Don't laugh, and I haven't tried it on any corrosion as severe as yours, but ketchup and a little salt cleans copper coins extremely well.

It wont get rid of the black gunk, but works just as good as regular polish as a cleaner (minus the abrasives that will get the black off). But leaves them clean and dull.

Make sure you rinse the coins good and completely dry them or the malachite tarnish (green) will be back pronto. Historians claim it adds character to things like our Parliament Buildings, but somehow that doesn't hold true for coins and cups. ;)

The best thing for copper, is copper polish. Vingar and salt are just going to clean it well enough to get an instant dull pink tarnish once it's removed from the solution. But a copper polish used properly will give it that nice copper shine.

By the way, do not mix coins of different metals (ie copper and silver, or your copper/silver coin) or you risk ruining them forever. By combining metals in an acid solution, you're basically creating a battery in the simplest form, and will electroplate the coins with interestng results. Same goes for putting your metal cup sets in the dish washer. :cry: It's permanent. Can't buff that stuff off. Heh.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 am 
Team Penguin

I keep the coins in the leather economy purse, but its not all leather. on the inside is like a felt-ish fabric. its not leather on the inside. Im getting the green ring on both my silver coins now. On my cop/sil coin, Its on the edges and now I have little yellow blotches showing up as well as on my duplicate half dollar.The way I store them if this helps, is with the cop/sil coin in front, the copper side against my copper coin and then my regular half dollar. could it be the copper coin doing anything. And i dont think that it is a real coin they made it out of because I compared the silver side and a half dollar and on the regular half, the head is bigger than the cop/sil.