View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using Music in Your Act
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:30 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not sure how many of you use music in your act, but it can have a dramatic effect.

Music can evoke feeling and make a good illusion even better! Utilizing a good music editing software (we use Sony Acid) you can tailor a custom CD for your entire show with highlights, lowlights, dramatic intros, etc.

Music can enhance any type of show whether it is a full-fledge stage show or a small private birthday party. Just be sure you use music wisely and in the proper way.

Never let it drown you out!

Also remember that you must use royalty-free music in most venues. My daughter always uses royalty-free music in her act. Occasionally she will do a "special" show where the venue wants her to use a specific song; however in that case the show's producer is responsible for the music not her.

Also, remember if you can get an artist's permission to use the music then you can! Try contacting them. It may be a long-shot, but its worth it! We have been so lucky!!!

There is some great royalty free music out there so start researching!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm 
born to perform.

I never use music in my act. But I'm sure I will when I start working theaters , which I hope to be around this January.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm 
Penguin

I'm thinking of performing an entire act with just music. It would only be for a 15 minute performance though, as some request only that length for certain shows. I'm also working on putting music in my regular act too, both the kids show and adult/general show.

Oh, and royalty-free, of course! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

You'd be surprise about how much more it adds to your act! I think you'll be impressed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 am 

sneak wrote:
I'm thinking of performing an entire act with just music. It would only be for a 15 minute performance though, as some request only that length for certain shows. I'm also working on putting music in my regular act too, both the kids show and adult/general show.

My mentor, many years ago did his act silently with only music. he hadhis moves timed to the note, all perfectly cooridinated. He won many awards at Magi-fest, IBM national conventions, etc. Also look at the old films of Cardini and Slydini, thier acts were all silent done to music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
sneak wrote:

My mentor, many years ago did his act silently with only music. he hadhis moves timed to the note, all perfectly cooridinated. He won many awards at Magi-fest, IBM national conventions, etc. Also look at the old films of Cardini and Slydini, thier acts were all silent done to music.

How long would they're act be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 am 
born to perform.

Paddy brings up an excellent point!!! (as usual) With music your body language is so important! Everything has to be carefully choreographed, instead of scripting you are just using music. It must also reflect you and your personality since it is, in essence, your voice.

That is why you have to find the right music for the right effect-- and why sometimes I get overly excited when I find that "perfect" music, or perfect "illusion". LOL...that is how this whole topic came up yesterday. I was excited because I found that "perfect" piece of music for one of my daughter's illusions. Actually, I didn't find it--- it was given to my daughter to practice with for a different show she will be in soon. While taking a break from practicing she decided to try it with one of her own illusions in her act. It might as well have been written for her!

So with puppy dog eyes and an impish grin smiling at me I wrote the composer and we got the answer back yesterday stating our daughter could use it in her act. Needless to say she was thrilled. The illusion would have never been the same without it.

Find the right music for you----

and you will come alive on stage.

~ Kristen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:57 pm 
Penguin

Doing silent magic makes it that much better. No patter so harder for misderection and distractions. Moves have to be that much greater. Plus with the way it can flow it is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:04 pm 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
You'd be surprise about how much more it adds to your act! I think you'll be impressed!!
Oh, believe me, I've seen many performances that had a musical part in them and often that was the best part of the show. Perhaps my two favorite performances I've ever witnessed was done with music. That's my influence in wanting to put music into my act. I know how impressive it can be if done properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:09 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
sneak wrote:

A local performer performed a 30 mintute show that was silent almost entierely from his character with music throughout. It was mind-blowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:19 pm 
born to perform.

Sadly, where I live, I've never had the opportunity to see a working magician - let alone a silent performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 pm 
Penguin

I have seen many stage magicians perform to music, and it does add a lot to the pergformance.........However,
I had once asked a pro magician that I know, about using music in a kid show, and he said he doesn't advise it because, it is much better to have verbal interaction with children to keep thier attention, and to keep them entertained. I thought that was very good advice.