View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:58 pm 
Penguin

My Problem with Angel is that it was clearly setup. Look at the host for example. He keeps calling out " Thirty Seconds....Twenty Seconds...." It was clear he was in on it, knew what was going to happen. Why else would he be yelling in someone's ear who is trying to pick a lock to escape death, when lock picking takes concentration? Of course this is all assumed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:32 pm 
Penguin

When I see how some of you are talking about the escape, I wonder if you really only watch something like this through the "experienced magician's eyes", prejudiced to what you expect... if you in such a moment only see it analytically, instead of getting engaged in the emotional effect. When I watched it, I saw it through the eyes of a fan, of course, but generally through the eyes of a spectator who enjoys getting emotionally engaged. And this is such a different experience!
It's like Der Zauberer said, it was dramatical, and many people enjoyed the thrill and the relief afterwards, me too. Even though a part of me knew that he would come out, I allowed myself to be scared- and you have to admit, in such a moment you can never be sure 100%. Afterwards you can analyze it, but in that moment it doesn't matter how it was done- for the general audience it was great. And if you like that or not, the general audience also decides about the long-lasting success of a magician... 8)

When I refer Criss' building implosion to Copperfield's one, the dramatical outcome was far bigger- it felt a lot more real in the moment. Copperfield's escape left room for doubt if he even was in that building, later you could only see the front of the safe and so on- nevertheless was it great, but Criss took it to another level. You saw him on the balcony and entering the building, but you didn't see him coming out before the implosion. Just my 2 cents and my personal opinion, you could spend hours discussing and arguing about the details, and still nobody would convince the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:09 pm 
born to perform.

evanbishop wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Thank you very much.

EDIT: After watching the video, it doesn't even appear that Copperfield was even in a real building to begin with. It all looks very, very fake.

Angel's version is a lot better.

Even if it was fake, David at least put on a good show. :D

So did Angel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:56 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Thank you very much.

EDIT: After watching the video, it doesn't even appear that Copperfield was even in a real building to begin with. It all looks very, very fake.

Even if it was fake, David at least put on a good show.

So did Angel?

Uh not even close?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:37 am 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
Quote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Thank you very much.

Even if it was fake, David at least put on a good show.

So did Angel?

Uh not even close?????????

You can't honestly say that DC's was better then Angel's. I mean, look at the emotional thrill ride that Angel gave us. I sort of knew that he wasn't going to be in that much danger, but I was still shaking, and worrying that he may die.

If I had to bet on it, I wouldn't even say Copperfield was in that building, it looked more like he was in a Hollywood studio.

In conclusion, Criss' escape was a lot better, and it was shot live. (well you know, some of it)

What would of happened if Criss never got the handcuffs open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 pm 
born to perform.

First of all, when they demolish a building, they remove all the windows. The fact that the balcony had a window was a glaring sign that he would probably go through it.
Also, I live in Florida. I can guarantee you that a balcony window in Clearwater Beach would NOT shatter when kicked. They have to be thick enough and strong enough to prevent anyone from accidentally falling through it to their death and they would have to be strong enough to withstand - to some degree - some sort of strike from debris in a storm. A flat-footed Karate kick or two from Criss would not shatter the window that way. That was a Hollywood, sugar-based, break-away window; which means the first 'problem' with the door was definitely planned.

Secondly, he ran in from outside and there was an editing cut when the cameras switched angles. From that point, forward, nothing you saw was 'live.' It was all pre-recorded. Criss no doubt ran a different direction out to an escape slide and was safely on the ground and running out of the blast zone within 5 seconds of him going through door #1.

I'd have to go back and watch it again; but I've heard that the handcuffs that were in his back pocket as he entered door #1 were not there when the camera angle changed to show door #2. I don't know, though.
Also, I've heard that you can see where the mask and goggles were on his face by lines in the debris powder he was covered in. Again, I don't know...I'd have to watch it again.

To anyone who thinks any of this was even remotely close to live and accurate, please ask yourselves the following:

1. Why there a glass window on ONE balcony out of hundreds?
2. How did the glass break so easily?
3. Why did the cameras go to static at least 2 seconds prior to the first explosion actually taking place - especially when the building fell in stages and the cameras were controlled from OUTSIDE the building??
4. How'd the camera men know which side of the building to go to when they "found" Criss?
5. Why was Mr. Angel lying OUTSIDE of the orange safety fence when no other debris - including pieces of concrete weighing LESS than him - flew beyond that zone?

I doubt there was actually an unstoppable 4 minute clock, too. It was not in sync with the video going on. I'm sure that if something went wrong, they could've delayed the destruction of the building.

The only danger Criss Angel was in was being on the balcony of a building that, somewhere underneath him, housed live explosives. But we live in homes with gasoline canisters in our garages and propane tanks on our grills and all kinds of things that are just as dangerous and waiting for some freak happening to trigger an explosion. Shoot...driving to work in rush hour traffic is more life-threatening. Criss Angel was in no real danger Wednesday night and was well out of that danger literally SECONDS after leaving the balcony.

All I can say is: Duh.
If you believe ANY of that nonsense broadcast on Mindfreak Wednesday night, please contact me. I have an invisible pet unicorn I'd like to sell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Finally someone else with some common sense. I also thought that window broke pretty easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

RadioRob wrote:
First of all, when they demolish a building, they remove all the windows. The fact that the balcony had a window was a glaring sign that he would probably go through it.
Also, I live in Florida. I can guarantee you that a balcony window in Clearwater Beach would NOT shatter when kicked. They have to be thick enough and strong enough to prevent anyone from accidentally falling through it to their death and they would have to be strong enough to withstand - to some degree - some sort of strike from debris in a storm. A flat-footed Karate kick or two from Criss would not shatter the window that way. That was a Hollywood, sugar-based, break-away window; which means the first 'problem' with the door was definitely planned.

Secondly, he ran in from outside and there was an editing cut when the cameras switched angles. From that point, forward, nothing you saw was 'live.' It was all pre-recorded. Criss no doubt ran a different direction out to an escape slide and was safely on the ground and running out of the blast zone within 5 seconds of him going through door #1.

I'd have to go back and watch it again; but I've heard that the handcuffs that were in his back pocket as he entered door #1 were not there when the camera angle changed to show door #2. I don't know, though.
Also, I've heard that you can see where the mask and goggles were on his face by lines in the debris powder he was covered in. Again, I don't know...I'd have to watch it again.

To anyone who thinks any of this was even remotely close to live and accurate, please ask yourselves the following:

3. Why did the cameras go to static at least 2 seconds prior to the first explosion actually taking place - especially when the building fell in stages and the cameras were controlled from OUTSIDE the building??
4. How'd the camera men know which side of the building to go to when they "found" Criss?
5. Why was Mr. Angel lying OUTSIDE of the orange safety fence when no other debris - including pieces of concrete weighing LESS than him - flew beyond that zone?

I doubt there was actually an unstoppable 4 minute clock, too. It was not in sync with the video going on. I'm sure that if something went wrong, they could've delayed the destruction of the building.

The only danger Criss Angel was in was being on the balcony of a building that, somewhere underneath him, housed live explosives. But we live in homes with gasoline canisters in our garages and propane tanks on our grills and all kinds of things that are just as dangerous and waiting for some freak happening to trigger an explosion. Shoot...driving to work in rush hour traffic is more life-threatening. Criss Angel was in no real danger Wednesday night and was well out of that danger literally SECONDS after leaving the balcony.

If you believe ANY of that nonsense broadcast on Mindfreak Wednesday night, please contact me. I have an invisible pet unicorn I'd like to sell you.

I know that's how it was done. Everyone happy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:41 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney, I'm surprized your a fan of his. I don't hate on him or any thing, I'm just not into seeing a 45 year old man run around in goth clothes performing"magic" for 19 year old girls. Is that really magic, when you have so many consultants doing all your work, it kinda looks like the Verizon network is following him around. I just don't really think he is that talented. Compared to... well... a lot of guys....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
RadioRob wrote:

I know that's how it was done. Everyone happy?

Yeah you do now. Welcome to reality. Angel is not so "hot" now eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:31 am 
Emperor Penguin

Sweepingreality- You forget though that the majority of Criss's talented consultants were either fired or left because of Criss's massive ego. Probably explains why this stunt was so bad. It would also explain why it seems as if Criss is wanting to get out of his contract for a season 5.

This stunt has been done over and over again. David Copperfield did it, and made it look exactly like what it was, an illusion. He probably did shoot it a couple of times, but because he's a obsessive compulsive person. The stunt itself was real though. However, the danger was completely imagined.

Any stunt like this, the danger is complete imagined. The way Criss did it, just makes it tacky, and shows the level he's willing to go to in order to prove he has no talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:31 am 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
Sweepingreality- You forget though that the majority of Criss's talented consultants were either fired or left because of Criss's massive ego. Probably explains why this stunt was so bad. It would also explain why it seems as if Criss is wanting to get out of his contract for a season 5.

This stunt has been done over and over again. David Copperfield did it, and made it look exactly like what it was, an illusion. He probably did shoot it a couple of times, but because he's a obsessive compulsive person. The stunt itself was real though. However, the danger was completely imagined.

Any stunt like this, the danger is complete imagined. The way Criss did it, just makes it tacky, and shows the level he's willing to go to in order to prove he has no talent.

Wow, just another person taking the side of Copperfield. And to answer sirbrad, I don't think Criss is hot, I was saying LoyalAnanya does. I'm not a homo, I don't think guys are hot, and I have a girlfriend.

I would expect a more intelligent post from you fallingblood, but no you have to post the same old stuff I've been hearing since it aired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 am 
Emperor Penguin

There's a reason the same things are being said over and over again. Experienced magicians, the ones who have been in this art for awhile, see what type a person Criss really is. He's an egotistical jerk who has little respect for the art. The majority of magicians are now seeing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:36 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
There's a reason the same things are being said over and over again. Experienced magicians, the ones who have been in this art for awhile, see what type a person Criss really is. He's an egotistical jerk who has little respect for the art. The majority of magicians are now seeing this.

Put that aside for a second. Do you think he is a good magician minus the attitude?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:06 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I meant hot in a different way, as in "cool" etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next