View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Always ask directions....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 pm 
born to perform.

Well we learned a very good lesson this past weekend....always ask directions! We had gotten an address for the theatre my daughter was supposed to be performing at, but we didn't worry about directions since we had our trusty old GPS-- at least we <thought> it was trusty!

It turns out the theatre where she was performing was brand new and not yet registered on the system. To make matters worse, there was the exact same street address based on "east" or "west", but the designation was never in the system because there was never a "west" to worry about.

I know it sounds confusing-- think how we felt lost in the middle of the boonies when our system told us we had "arrived" and we were looking at a regional park, which consisted of a lot of nothing but pretty little hillsides.

We were so far out we didn't even have cell service to call anyone.

We immediately turned ourselves around and started going the opposite direction. As soon as we had cell service we called and found out that we weren't the only ones in this predicament!

The moral of the story is never just assume your GPS system will work and get you to a job on time-- ALWAYS ask for directions directly!

Luckily, the show went beautifully and she didn't let the stress impact her performance.

Hope you all can learn from our mistake!

~ Kristen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:35 pm 

I have my "Thomas Guide" in my auto. I always "MapQuest" and print out my destination and I have a contact telephone number should I get lost. That on top of owning a GPS...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:57 pm 
born to perform.

I've never ran in to this problem yet, considering I've never performed outside of my town. I'm hoping that will change in the next year or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:02 pm 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
I have my "Thomas Guide" in my auto. I always "MapQuest" and print out my destination and I have a contact telephone number should I get lost. That on top of owning a GPS...

Very smart! Trust me, we'll not make the same mistake again! :D

I hope you had a terrific time at The Magic Castle! Which room were you performing in?

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm 
Penguin

this is also why you should give your self extra time. You never know when there may be a detour on the way to the show. For my first show of any day I always ensure that I am in the area at least 30 minutes early (45 if out of town). This is in order to combat such problems. I would rather have time to get a drink at a local coffee house then looking at the clock hoping to make it on time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:40 am 

Good topic Kristen!! I always say there are 2 rules, 1) put on the best show you can. 2) I'd rather be an hour early than one minute late.

Yes I know there are other rules but these are on topic.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Good topic Kristen!! I always say there are 2 rules, 1) put on the best show you can. 2) I'd rather be an hour early than one minute late.

Yes I know there are other rules but these are on topic.

Paddy

I'm to every one of my shows an hour before anyways, gives me time to set up everything and not be rushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:26 am 
born to perform.

I am also of the same mind set where I believe you should be early to an event; not late. Trust me, this was not our normal mode of operations! The afternoon show knew prior to the event that our daughter had a previous morning event and that it would be a tight schedule getting there for the rehearsal regardless of the direction snafu!

We will never schedule two shows that close together again! :lol:

The good part is that the show went off beautifully and everything worked out. My daughter kept her cool (as always) and it was only me that got anxious and worked up. LOL

Listen to Paddy and Glamourboy's advice! Always be EARLY and get actual directions!

~ Kristen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 am 
Emperor Penguin

Very good topic. It's something that isn't usually covered.

Personally, I've learned to keep a map in my car. I will be investing in a GPS soon as well. Leaving early is always a plus as well. Just recently I had a show in Cavalier, ND, which is a 5 hour trip. But as usual in ND during the summer, there was quite a bit of road construction. So even though I left early, I still only got there about 15 minutes before my show.

George also brings up a good point on checking out MapQuest before you leave. I personally use Google Maps instead, but either one is useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:48 am 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
Very good topic. It's something that isn't usually covered.

Personally, I've learned to keep a map in my car. I will be investing in a GPS soon as well. Leaving early is always a plus as well. Just recently I had a show in Cavalier, ND, which is a 5 hour trip. But as usual in ND during the summer, there was quite a bit of road construction. So even though I left early, I still only got there about 15 minutes before my show.

George also brings up a good point on checking out MapQuest before you leave. I personally use Google Maps instead, but either one is useful.

I hate that, when you plan that you'll be there early, and then run into something that wasn't supposed to be there. e.g road construction. I'm only 14, so my dad pretty much would handle the driving and directions part of the show. He also helps me when I'm on stage, to get my props ready and stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:08 am 
born to perform.

You know, I have just decided I am either very unobservant, or I need to congratulate you on the "moderator" status Paddy! Hopefully, its just congratulations that are in order! :wink:

Quote:
I'm only 14, so my dad pretty much would handle the driving and directions part of the show

Being underage you should definitely have a parent accompany you to any gig regardless. They are the one that should be your spokesperson, with you there as well to be groomed in how to handle the business side of magic and to speak with the client as well, but as you are underage it is important for not only the professional image, but also for your safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 am 

Thank you Kristen. You also wrote
Quote:
The good part is that the show went off beautifully and everything worked out. My daughter kept her cool (as always) and it was only me that got anxious and worked up. LOL

As I told you privately, but I'll say again for every one's benefit, That your daughter kept her cool is THE sign of a REAL PROFESSIONAL. Kids, and adults also, can be upset or nervous because something or someone has made a mistake. Yes it has happened to all of us including myself. But the professional thing is that the show MUST GO ON! And you must STILL entertain to the best of your ability. That's exactly what your daughter did. The audience expects a show and we have to give it to them regardless of circumstances.

A true story, not about me but about my wife. On August 17th 2004 I was rushed to the emergency room with congestive heart failure. The doctor told me that if I didn't stay I was going to die that day. I was totally shocked by the news and the only thing I could say is "but I have a show tonight!" Well I didn't make the show, but Ruth got onto her clown costume and made the show that night. None of the kids knew what had happened earlier.

Obviously I recovered and now am a he** of a lot healthier and take a lot better care of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
Obviously I recovered and now am a he** of a lot healthier and take a lot better care of myself.

It's a good thing because we need you around here! :D I remember when you went through this and how stressful it was. I also recall all the cards you got--- from the kids! Another sign of a much beloved entertainer who has touched many lives. Kudos to Ruth for being able to stay strong in such a difficult situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
You know, I have just decided I am either very unobservant, or I need to congratulate you on the "moderator" status Paddy! Hopefully, its just congratulations that are in order! :wink:

Quote:
I'm only 14, so my dad pretty much would handle the driving and directions part of the show

Being underage you should definitely have a parent accompany you to any gig regardless. They are the one that should be your spokesperson, with you there as well to be groomed in how to handle the business side of magic and to speak with the client as well, but as you are underage it is important for not only the professional image, but also for your safety.

That's exactly what he does actually.