View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restaurant
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
Hi. Most of you may know me from around the forums. I would like to learn about Restarant magic. I would like some resources (fairly cheap if available). I don't know anything about restaurant magic. Thanks. I do almost every genre of magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

pm or ask "dbrandmeyer" to post here, i'm sure if he has the time, you ask nicely and he feels like answering you he will, he knows a LOT about restaurant magic, just see some of his posts here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... rt=15since he does it for a living, he was so kind as to write me approximately over 3 pages of good, useful advice in pm's on how to start out (Thanks again db. :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 am 
Penguin

sebishungry wrote:
pm or ask "dbrandmeyer" to post here, i'm sure if he has the time, you ask nicely and he feels like answering you he will, he knows a LOT about restaurant magic, just see some of his posts here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... rt=15since he does it for a living, he was so kind as to write me approximately over 3 pages of good, useful advice in pm's on how to start out (Thanks again db. :) )

You're welcome sebish. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:12 am 
Emperor Penguin

* The Complete Guide to Restaurant and Walkaround Magic, by Kirk Charles
* Restaurant Workers Handbook, by Jim Pace & Jerry MacGregor
* Magic Menu: The First Five Years (in addition to any other issues you can get your hands on.), edited by Jim Sisti
* Real World Magic, by Jerry Mac Gregor
* Making A Living Performing At Restaurants & Hotels by Carl Andrews
* Video: Making A Living Performing Close-up Magic by Carl Andrews
* Video: The Strolling Magican, by Carl Andrews
* David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic
* Live at the Jailhouse
* Anything from Eugene Burger on the subject
* Anything from Paul Green on the subject

You may also want to check out my blog at http://belzianmagic.blogspot.com/. I have a couple of essays on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
Thanks to all 3 of you on the subject. I will look at the videos and books on the subject and take each of your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:16 pm 
born to perform.

One more question. Which chain restaurants are more accepting to someone table hopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:02 am 
born to perform.

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:49 am 
Emperor Penguin

That really depends. I know TGIF has done stuff with clowns and magicians. I was hired there for a short time before I had to quit for medical reasons. I plan on going back shortly though as they have an offer on the table.

Space Aliens is also willing to do so in some places. As well as Applebees. I actually start there in January.

I personally work at more local restaurants though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:42 am 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
That really depends. I know TGIF has done stuff with clowns and magicians. I was hired there for a short time before I had to quit for medical reasons. I plan on going back shortly though as they have an offer on the table.

Space Aliens is also willing to do so in some places. As well as Applebees. I actually start there in January.

I personally work at more local restaurants though.
That is the only one that I have heard of OR is near me. I was thinking there or maybe Logan's or also Chiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:42 pm 
born to perform.

You'll find that chain restaurants are very difficult to deal with initially. There is so much "red tape". My personal experience with the red tape was with Applebees. However, I did perform for TGIF for nearly two years before they decided to cut back on spending. Of course the entertainment is the first thing to go. But it was a decent run.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:21 pm 
born to perform.

Just to give everyone an update. I decided not to make another thread and "recycle" this on. I have an appointment for Applebee's at 4 Friday in my town. He said he used to know a guy that did magic that served in a place near me and it made good business. I think he is really interested but now I have to sell myself. Wish me luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:00 am 
Emperor Penguin

Good luck, and remember, first impressions mean a lot. So dress nice (but don't go over board), act professional, but most of all, have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:34 am 
born to perform.

I answered this same reply a few weeks ago, but same applies IMO

Dress / Attire:

- Dress neatly and smart don't wear a shabby t-shirt and torn jeans
- Shave (depending on age) or at least trim so you look ad appear clean
- Shower (Basic necessity) before interview / talk
- Wear deodorant and brush your teeth (Obvious)

Basically you want to maintain a nice clean look, that shows your not some no hoper, who desperately needs the job or hasn't eaten in weeks.

Proposal:

- BE READY!
- Have a small proposal drawn up, what you will do, how long, pricing and such
- If you have a contract its nice to give them the contract at the end if they seem interested, (Contracts = Safe = Guaranteed Work)
- You may have a small resume drawn up with your proposal about what you will do, how you will do it, and at the end one or two client references.

Tricks:

- This is not necessary, I have gotten gigs without showing one trick, but someone who doesn't know you and hasn't seen you before might want to see something.
- I recommend you bring something small like a 3 trick routine that will take 5 - 10 min or so. Something that's very strong and visual (preferably something that has a nice bit of comedy in it with a lot of entertainment value, and make sure it doesn't have any offensive jokes in it that you will know a drunk will be rifled up over)

Finally:

- Act and "Be" professional in everything you say and do
- Be CONFIDENT!
- Be Polite

And that's about the basics that I would recommend you. Tell me how it goes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:20 am 
Penguin

Impromptu spoon bends is also cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks everyone. Good tips from everyone.