View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:55 am 
born to perform.

msconce wrote:
Ummm....I am a Christian who goes to church alot...(youth pastor) I do not have a problem with Criss walking on water. He admits all is illusion. Who cares? There is no insult here for me. But then again, I do not find Harry Potter dangerous either. Most grounded Christians who have a strong faith will feel the same way, and going to church alot makes you a christian as much a eating at mcDonalds makes you a hamburger. It is not a level or measure of anything.

Yeah I know, I'm a Christian too and don't have a problem with that stuff, but you know the fanatical types do, you know the people I'm talking about I think. I mean you get my point about what you perform defines who will enjoy your performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 am 
Penguin

Thecooltonto,
Sorry I think I misunderstood you in that context. I thought you find it bad that Criss as a magician has this kind of celebrity status, and therefore a fan club like a rockstar, including many young people. That's why I was searching a quote that states why he thinks that is a positive thing for magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:01 am 
born to perform.

LoyalAnanya wrote:
Thecooltonto,
Sorry I think I misunderstood you in that context. I thought you find it bad that Criss as a magician has this kind of celebrity status, and therefore a fan club like a rockstar, including many young people. That's why I was searching a quote that states why he thinks that is a positive thing for magic.

No I don't find being famous bad, a lot more magicians should aim for that goal probably lol. cough burton cough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 am 
born to perform.

thecooltonto wrote:
LoyalAnanya wrote:
Thecooltonto,

No I don't find being famous bad, a lot more magicians should aim for that goal probably lol. cough burton cough

What about Burton?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:20 am 
born to perform.

msconce wrote:
No, he actually said it WAS setup and planned. She said it wasn't but he told the camera "Even you guys don't believe this" He said he didn't believe it either, and then continued with the trick. It was obvious it was a setup, he SAID it was a setup, and proceeded with a trick for entertainment value that was setup.

Actually, he was stating that in a manner that suggested that it wasn't. And that's precisely what he was trying to do; make you think that although it looked too good to be true, it was true. ...When it wasn't.
Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:24 am 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
Anyone catch that little performance of Cups & Balls that he did last night? It was good, and he didn't use a fancy cup, only a tea cup?

It was poorly done. His misdirection and palming 'skills' leave MUCH to be desired. I knew what he was going to do, when he was going to do it and where everything was at all times.
When Penn & Teller do that, even though I know how it's done, I still usually can't visually catch them doing what I know they're doing. Criss has all the skill of a kid who got a magic kit for Christmas and performs for his family a week later on New Year's Eve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:57 am 
born to perform.

RadioRob wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Anyone catch that little performance of Cups & Balls that he did last night? It was good, and he didn't use a fancy cup, only a tea cup?

It was poorly done. His misdirection and palming 'skills' leave MUCH to be desired. I knew what he was going to do, when he was going to do it and where everything was at all times.
When Penn & Teller do that, even though I know how it's done, I still usually can't visually catch them doing what I know they're doing. Criss has all the skill of a kid who got a magic kit for Christmas and performs for his family a week later on New Year's Eve.

Well he may not be the best, but he isn't that bad. At least give him some credit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:17 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
RadioRob wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

Well he may not be the best, but he isn't that bad. At least give him some credit.

He's not good enough to be doing it on national television.
I can name a few local guys that are MUCH better than Criss Angel.
If Criss had no 'Loyal' to overlook his lacking skills - blindly supporting and defending him - he'd have no show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:24 pm 
born to perform.

RadioRob wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
RadioRob wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

If Criss had no 'Loyal' to overlook his lacking skills - blindly supporting and defending him - he'd have no show.

You would like him if you weren't a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:37 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:

I think I'd like him less, actually.
I have always enjoyed magic; even before I moved from spectator to hobbyist to paid performer.
As a magician, I enjoy watching talented magicians. When they can perform an illusion I'm very familiar with or that I even perform myself with skill and style, I LOVE it. Even when I know what they're doing and when they're doing it, my love for the art and talent and work involved is not diminished. I'm not just a magician; I'm an enthusiastic magic spectator.

I'll be going to Vegas on business soon. Know what I'll be doing? Seeing Mac King, Lance Burton and a few others. I enjoy watching my magician friends performing. I am a lover of magic!

Criss Angel isn't doing the art of magic any favors and I keep getting disappointed by his lack of skill. This is unfortunate, because I love magic - whether I'm watching or performing; and I want to like Criss Angel. ...But I can't. He keeps ruining my attepts at enjoying what he does. No other magician out there that I can think of does that for me. The rest bring me joy or amazement or at the very least cause me to greatly appreciate what they are doing. Criss falls flat on all those.

So I can confidently say that it is BECAUSE I'm a magician that I watch him at all and that if I were not a magician, I wouldn't enjoy most of his performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:14 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
RadioRob wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
RadioRob wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

I've met Angel - and no I wouldn't like him - he just isn't a likable person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:

I've met Angel - and no I wouldn't like him - he just isn't a likable person.

No he isn't. As I've said before, I have first hand knowledge of his rantings, and his pouting, and his tantrums and childish fits. He threatens those around him. And constantly has a "look at me" attitude. I suppose a few of you saw his performance show in New Orleans that aired last night....Did you see the segment where the city of New Orleans gave him a proclamation certificate? It is interesting to note that Criss ASKED the city to give him that. How arrogant.

Almost to the point of embarrassingly, I did some consult work for him off and on in Season 1 and part of Season 2. NEVER again. Back in the Spring, after Banachek was "let go", I received an email asking me for permission to use a mentalism effect for his show. I replied back, "It will snow on the hills of H.E.L.L. before Criss gets his hands on anything of mine. And if I receive notification that anything close to my methods are used, legal action WILL be taken immediately." I suspect that if there was going to be a Season 6, I would see it on his show...but since Season 5 was almost wrapped up, I'm confident that he didn't steal it from me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6