View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:31 am 
Emperor Penguin

Lumas wrote:
Considering Luke Jermay and Kenton Knepper don't use the majority of their published material in their own payed shows, I would have to strongly disagree with you. And considering your a comedy magician, I wonder how much of an advanced mentalist you really are.

I've heard from several respected mentalists/creators who have seen Jermay's live shows and have told me that they haven't seen him perform anything from his dvds. books, etc. Supposedly none of it was suggestion based and most of it was basic mentalism using basic mentalist principles.

Most good mentalists regard Jermay and Knepper as something of a joke. How much of Knepper's material do you actually own. I've had enough of his material to know that it was a waste of money.

I hate to say it, but the majority wins. There are far more unfavorable opinions of Knepper and Jermay in the mentalism world than there are favorable. There is a reason for this....
I am a comedy magician, however, I also do psychic entertainment as well as comedy mentalism. When requested, I do also do mentalism shows, but I leave most of those principles for larger promotional stunts, or larger presentations, such as a grand finale at one of my shows.

I will agree that some big names in mentalism don't have any respect for Luke or Kenton. But you also have to think that both Derren Brown, and Banachek are big fans of his. Banachek is very proud of the work Luke is doing, and defends him constantly. And both Luke and Banachek have drawn from Kenton.

From what I've seen, the majority of people who bash the two of them, are simply older elitist mentalists, who have never tried the methods, and simply discard them because they think they are impossible. For Luke, a lot of this has to do with his age.

As for the material, I own pretty much all of it. I must admit, I use much more of Luke's material though. There are some products of Kenton's that I use on a continue basis though, like Kollosal Killer (which is a very wonderful effect that many top mentalist use). I use quite a few of Luke's methods though.

And you're right, there is a reason for those unfavorable opinions. Many of them are from elitist mentalists who simply won't give them a chance because they are going into something new. Some of those opinions are because of their age (Luke's age). Others are because they couldn't perform the effects straight off, and then deemed them unworkable. Others simply because they seen the method and thought it impossible. But I think the opinions of Banachek, and Derren Brown far out weight the two.

Also, Luke even went as far to record the methods of some of his effects. And I have to say, I can attest to the fact that they work, as those effects are used through my shows at different times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:34 am 
born to perform.

I somehow agree with Falingblood now,

However I don't pretend I am an Elitist mentalist, but I say I used this methods in the past because they seemed exciting, however now I just think it was a waste of my money because I don't really use this anymore simply because as I got along I found more methods that made me able to do exactly the same feats without using Luke ideology.

Suggestion is very good for one person but for an audience at large I don't feel it is as exicting as the person it is performed for.

Usually new mentalists are looking for thos kind of effect because they believe it's real magic, but then slowly move back from it and use conventional pieces in their work.

A trendemendous amount of literature on mentalism is slowly getting forgotten, which herein has the real secrets, I'm talking about Cassidy books, T.A Water's epic Mind Myth and Magic, Richard Webster manuscripts in general are hardly ever discussed here, all we see is that kind of stuff.

I know a lot of fellow performer who said they brought Luke work and enjoyed them, yet I never ever saw them performing anything from it.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:35 pm 
Penguin

Stays very interesting here. For me as beginner luke jermay and kenton klepper stuff looks cool, cause it mostly does what Derren Brown does, but not only that, the effects look like psychology and not like magic, and i think thats whats the new mentalism trend here.

For example, in europe we had in all countrys the 'the next uri geller', the traditional mentalism acts werent decided as good as the more psychological acts with hypno and stuff. I think cause of Derren brown mentalism is going a different way, although in europe it does.

(lol, the winner of dutch mentalism uri geller was Ramana, does anyone know him, cause he perform really bad in my opinion as his acts all are dumb a bit), he also claims he can fly, that sais anough....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 am 
Emperor Penguin

Max, I have to agree with you on some parts. A lot of the literature on mentalism is being forgotten. Now, I'm not too bothered by it because I have many of those works, and will use many of the ideas from time or time. And since not too many people look for those works, I'm one of the few people who get to see some of those treasures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:48 am 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
Max, I have to agree with you on some parts. A lot of the literature on mentalism is being forgotten. Now, I'm not too bothered by it because I have many of those works, and will use many of the ideas from time or time. And since not too many people look for those works, I'm one of the few people who get to see some of those treasures.

Fallingblood,

Do you have Richard Webster stuff...I am being Mentored by him...he is so cool...I got all his stuff too...he is not really known here in the States.

I think he has the best info. on readings.

H.W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:09 am 
born to perform.

I know Richard Webster well, he's a popular clairvoyant and psychic in New Zealand, He does shows and he also concentrate upon the art of readings (by various means).

I have most of his work which I find is a valuable contibution to the art, I based some of my professional readings upon his works, and it never fails to work.

If you are genuinely Richard protegé keep learning from him, he is grand and very sociable, he also credited some of my work.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:12 am 
Penguin

Bliztmagic wrote:
I know Richard Webster well, he's a popular clairvoyant and psychic in New Zealand, He does shows and he also concentrate upon the art of readings (by various means).

I have most of his work which I find is a valuable contibution to the art, I based some of my professional readings upon his works, and it never fails to work.

If you are genuinely Richard protegé keep learning from him, he is grand and very sociable, he also credited some of my work.

Max.

Hi Bliztmagic,

He just called my Son and I last week from NZ to have a chat...

He was here in the States(AZ)a few weeks ago and he was attempting to get a hold of Lee Earl...

expecting some more items from his private collection in the Post this week..

My Son and I are also being Mentored Personally by Jay Noblezada and we are Mentoring him in Hypnosis and NLP.

Are you Max Maven?

If you are, I am a Huge Fan and been wanting to meet you.

H.W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:54 pm 
Penguin

Heijmans wrote:
Stays very interesting here. For me as beginner luke jermay and kenton klepper stuff looks cool, cause it mostly does what Derren Brown does, but not only that, the effects look like psychology and not like magic....

That's exactly how you're supposed to present them, simply because psychology is the actual method behind most of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:27 am 
born to perform.

honywong wrote:
Bliztmagic wrote:

Max.

Hi Bliztmagic,

He just called my Son and I last week from NZ to have a chat...

He was here in the States(AZ)a few weeks ago and he was attempting to get a hold of Lee Earl...

expecting some more items from his private collection in the Post this week..

My Son and I are also being Mentored Personally by Jay Noblezada and we are Mentoring him in Hypnosis and NLP.

Are you Max Maven?

If you are, I am a Huge Fan and been wanting to meet you.

H.W.

Hehe,

Sorry I'm not Max Maven.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:39 pm 
Penguin

Another method-not often discussed, even in videos, and books-is Investigation. There is a big information network set up for con arists, and magicians, which collects data on people. You have to pay a huge fee to set up an account. Once you have an account, you can fax/call/email the data center, give them a name, and any other details you have, and they will phone, fax, or email, you all sorts of data on the target. John Doe of 231 E. 4th street Portland, Oregon? He: works as a janitor at a creamery, is recently divorced, lives with his mother, is overdue on his Mastercard payments, and his brother Mike recently broke his leg skiing in Vale, Colorado. A concealed confederate then reads the faxed/emailed/phoned in data over a radio microphone, and the mentalist with a concealed reciever in his ear, disguised as a barely seeable hearing aid, and covered by the mentalist's hair, asks his audience member John-whom he has never seen before, how his brother Mike's leg is healing after the skiing accident. The data center gets info from: blogs, mailings, neighbors, public records, and more, and is more skilled at such data collection than even the CIA is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:41 pm 
Penguin

Mensan wrote:
Another method-not often discussed, even in videos, and books-is Investigation. There is a big information network set up for con arists, and magicians, which collects data on people. You have to pay a huge fee to set up an account. Once you have an account, you can fax/call/email the data center, give them a name, and any other details you have, and they will phone, fax, or email, you all sorts of data on the target. John Doe of 231 E. 4th street Portland, Oregon? He: works as a janitor at a creamery, is recently divorced, lives with his mother, is overdue on his Mastercard payments, and his brother Mike recently broke his leg skiing in Vale, Colorado. A concealed confederate then reads the faxed/emailed/phoned in data over a radio microphone, and the mentalist with a concealed reciever in his ear, disguised as a barely seeable hearing aid, and covered by the mentalist's hair, asks his audience member John-whom he has never seen before, how his brother Mike's leg is healing after the skiing accident. The data center gets info from: blogs, mailings, neighbors, public records, and more, and is more skilled at such data collection than even the CIA is.

Wow! Thanks...sounds like some of the things that some television "Psychics" and Preachers have been caught doing here in the States...

H.W. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:29 pm 
Penguin

Bliztmagic wrote:

Max.

Hi Max,

You mentioned Richard Webster credited some of your work...so I thought you were Max Maven...you must be really good since Richard credited your work...

H.W.
:D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:57 pm 
Team Penguin

I am not too into mentalism, but I agree that the old works of literature are bieng forgotten. All people talk about are Luke Jermay this, Kenton Knepper that...

Max Maven had and has really good stuff on all fields of mentalism, (We actually talked about this too in the private workshop) and so do a lot of older ones.

Now, none of the above is to say that Luke, Kenton or Banacheks work is bad; none of it is. I like all of it and it is very unethical to print something that isn't possible to do. Most write it off as just to darn hard and not worth the practice.

I say look at the big picture; do reaserch on everything, including the new stuff. (By the way, Max Maven told me to buy what I believe is the Jynx or something like that? I believe it was an Anneman publication. Anyone know where one can buy it?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:59 pm 
Penguin

Popchris wrote:
I am not too into mentalism, but I agree that the old works of literature are bieng forgotten. All people talk about are Luke Jermay this, Kenton Knepper that...

Max Maven had and has really good stuff on all fields of mentalism, (We actually talked about this too in the private workshop) and so do a lot of older ones.

Now, none of the above is to say that Luke, Kenton or Banacheks work is bad; none of it is. I like all of it and it is very unethical to print something that isn't possible to do. Most write it off as just to darn hard and not worth the practice.

I say look at the big picture; do reaserch on everything, including the new stuff. (By the way, Max Maven told me to buy what I believe is the Jynx or something like that? I believe it was an Anneman publication. Anyone know where one can buy it?)

Hi Popchris,

here is the link https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=1773 to buy Jynx...they spelled it Jinx...it's on a CD...I do not have it yet...let me know when you get it if it's good...

I was told it was spelled Jynx too...

Glad I could help, bro...

Is Max Maven really cool?

H.W. :D