View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hey, is that my deck?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:06 am 
Penguin

Check this out, I was asked to perform magic at a community block party this past weekend. I brought my typical box of stuff and the mayor said I could set up in the library. It was great, until I was asked to do some strolling magic for the adults. Upon my return, less than 15 mins later, there was this kid (all of you know the type-hey, let me show you a trick, I know how you did that, criss angel is better than you kinda kid) had my invisible deck out from the bottom of my hidden case and had it scattered.......everywhere. When I got it back and reorganized, he constantly was attempting to remove items. I finally put everything back in the firetruck. But, has anyone ever run into this before?? Other than running over the kid with the firetruck or going back to the vehicle to replace decks, how would you solve this?? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:14 am 
born to perform.

I usually carry my stuff in a briefcase, and I'm sure everyone caries there items in some type of case also. I usually just mess up the combination of my briefcase so there is no way one of those skeptic kids manages to squirm his way in there.

Long story short, just carry your stuff in something that can lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:14 pm 
born to perform.

My daughter does stage/parlour magic and none of her items are ever left unattended. She actually had, right in front of her, someone try and fling back the protective covering of her dollhouse to see how it was done. Of course she was able to stop them before they discovered the secret to the illusion, but she was MAD!

People are fascinated by magic and discovering how things are done and we learned our lesson long ago never to leave anything unattended. If you have to walk away you need to have a locking case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:21 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
My daughter does stage/parlour magic and none of her items are ever left unattended. She actually had, right in front of her, someone try and fling back the protective covering of her dollhouse to see how it was done. Of course she was able to stop them before they discovered the secret to the illusion, but she was MAD!

People are fascinated by magic and discovering how things are done and we learned our lesson long ago never to leave anything unattended. If you have to walk away you need to have a locking case.

I usually have my dad/mom/brother/brother's girlfriend/uncle/pop stand next to my props if I have to leave for a second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:28 pm 
Penguin

I need to buy a case for birthday shows, whats a recommended one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

flaminfire wrote:
I need to buy a case for birthday shows, whats a recommended one?

I just use a normal briefcase with several different compartments in it. You can get proper ones though I'm pretty sure through different magic shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Well, it all depends on your props. My daughter uses the large Joe Lefler table for birthday parties and stage shows. Her smaller props fit nicely inside and its an easy ditch. You can also "hide" things behind it if necessary. Be prepared, it will set you back around $350 or so.

If you have just small magic, I know a lot of guys that just go to an office supply store like Office Dept or Staples and pick up the aluminum cases with combination locks on them.

We once found at Toys R Us a close-out on Nintendo game aluminum boxes, the big ones, for like $7. We picked up several! LOL, I know a few magician friends that went to the visit the "toy store" after we told them about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Well, it all depends on your props. My daughter uses the large Joe Lefler table for birthday parties and stage shows. Her smaller props fit nicely inside and its an easy ditch. You can also "hide" things behind it if necessary. Be prepared, it will set you back around $350 or so.

If you have just small magic, I know a lot of guys that just go to an office supply store like Office Dept or Staples and pick up the aluminum cases with combination locks on them.

We once found at Toys R Us a close-out on Nintendo game aluminum boxes, the big ones, for like $7. We picked up several! LOL, I know a few magician friends that went to the visit the "toy store" after we told them about it!

Can you give more detail or possibly a link to that $350 case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

Penguin does not offer it on their site, so I believe it is okay to put a link to the table on another site. I apologize if I am incorrect and please remove the post if it is not allowed. Please note: This is NOT where I bought my table. http://www.ronjo.com/magic/leflertable.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:52 am 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Penguin does not offer it on their site, so I believe it is okay to put a link to the table on another site. I apologize if I am incorrect and please remove the post if it is not allowed. Please note: This is NOT where I bought my table. http://www.ronjo.com/magic/leflertable.html

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:01 am 
Emperor Penguin

When I do walk-around magic, my other supplies are in my car. This way I know for sure no one can mess with them. Otherwise, I keep them in a couple of tables that I built. I usually don't have any problems with snooping kids anymore though because I've made it very clear in my contract that I'm not a babysitter and that there must be at least two adults present at each kid shows that I do, in order to monitor the children. Since then, I haven't had much trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:31 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
I've made it very clear in my contract that I'm not a babysitter and that there must be at least two adults present at each kid shows that I do, in order to monitor the children.

You think the babysitting one is bad, listen to this:

My daughter once got a feedback form stating what a great job she did at the party, loved her magic, very complimentary--- however they suggested in the future it would be an even better experience if she served the children cake. WHAT? We laughed at that one!!!

Hmmm, but then again--- who knows maybe she should offer it--- although, I wonder if the parents calculated how much the cost of the cake slicing actually would cost them! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:06 am 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Quote:
I've made it very clear in my contract that I'm not a babysitter and that there must be at least two adults present at each kid shows that I do, in order to monitor the children.

You think the babysitting one is bad, listen to this:

My daughter once got a feedback form stating what a great job she did at the party, loved her magic, very complimentary--- however they suggested in the future it would be an even better experience if she served the children cake. WHAT? We laughed at that one!!!

Hmmm, but then again--- who knows maybe she should offer it--- although, I wonder if the parents calculated how much the cost of the cake slicing actually would cost them! :lol:

Babysitting is something I don't do, and something I never will do. Like already said, there must be parents present and the show or I won't go there - simple as that. I mean, the party would go up in flames if there was no adult supervision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:14 pm 
Team Penguin

I bring a case to my kids shows and set it up before the kids get there behind my table which is entirely covered by a cloth. this way nobody knows that I have a box of tricks. I really only go into the case for the bigger items such as rocky. I call him tricky ricky. haha. but I really only bring this case to kids partys. I never leave it on a table or anywhere in view because I dont like my audiences to know I have a big box of tricks prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:00 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
I bring a case to my kids shows and set it up before the kids get there behind my table which is entirely covered by a cloth. this way nobody knows that I have a box of tricks. I really only go into the case for the bigger items such as rocky. I call him tricky ricky. haha. but I really only bring this case to kids partys. I never leave it on a table or anywhere in view because I dont like my audiences to know I have a big box of tricks prepared.

I always lay my case on a table, in full view of the audience. I find that it doesn't matter and if your entertaining enough, then they won't care anyway - well, most of them won't. You shouldn't worry that they know you have a case full of stuff to do the show. Every magician has that, and people know it.