View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Effect (word to arm) using a method I just created
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:17 am 
Penguin

Hello! I just pulled off one of the best mentalism effects I have ever done. It is using a new method I thought of several days ago.

Effect: I had a room of 13 Junior Highers and one adult. I asked the adult to think of the first word that floated into her mind. She wrote the word down on a piece of paper, not showing anyone. I then stared into her eyes and after a few moments asked her if the word she wrote was Bubble. She said it was, and everyone was amazed. I then asked her if it would be more amazing if it was written on her arm. She checked and saw that it was written on her arm in pen. Everyone freaked out, and then I asked them how many of them would be amazed if it was on their arms too. The junior highers checked their arms and it was written on each of their arms as well. That is when the pandemonium started. Evryone was absolutely blown away!

I am attempting to market the method, but I do not really know where to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 am 

I'll believe it when I see it and knocking people out with nerve gas isn't exactly a subtle magical secret.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:29 am 
Penguin

exodus wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it and knocking people out with nerve gas isn't exactly a subtle magical secret.

I really pulled this off today to my Junior High Youth Group. I have been testing and developing the method over the last week. I tried it out last Tuesday and made the name of a kid randomly pointed to appear on a girls arm. I tried the larger reveal today on all the kids. It definitely worked. I had one kid walk out because he thought the writing was inside his arm and he was freaked out. I had to explain it was just pen ink. I am excited to see what becomes of this. I know Rich Fergeson is coming out with a trick like this soon, and I am curious to see how similar our methods are?

Anyway, I am going to research how to go about marketing this, but I really do not know where to start. It is pretty high impact and very visual. I call it "Whisper" at the moment.

I am a 27 year old NBC commercial editor and father of a little 6 month old girl. I have no reason to lie about this, and would appreciate it if it was not inferred I was doing so. You can see some bits of the test I did last Tuesday here: www.mattillusion.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 am 

I'm just throwing it out there, but this seems way too good to be true. Without a full performance video, no one at all will buy this. You have to understand, I read topics like this every week. Some person, kid or otherwise, has "created" this amazing trick. No one believes it because they refuse to get us a video. To top it off they always become pretty defensive, which you've already done. To me, it seems like you're heading down the same path. I truly do hope that this is a legit effect, because I really would be interested in it. Your post is also a little confusing. Why are you in a junior high youth group if you're 27 and don't work with a school? I'd assume you're talking about church. That's cool. I'm just saying that, so far, all we have to go on is a post by an anonymous internet user. Without something on video, you're not going to get a positive response. The better the trick sounds, the harder it is to believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:00 am 

I've seen a video clip of someone doing something similar for a TV interview spot. The words were written on the arm of the interviewer.

It could be a case if independent creation, and I don't know if the other one is marketed or not. You don't want to be though of as "ripping off" the other guy, but if you get to market first, it'll be attributed to you.

Look for this other guy's version on YouTube and contact him about it and see if he's selling it, or if you're methods are anywhere similar. If it's too close for comfort, you might be better off keeping this to yourself. If it's determined that yours is indeed different or unique in some way (the entire group thing makes me think it's unique) then go for it and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:01 am 
born to perform.

Yea, i'm sure many of us here would love to buy that trick if you release it, but spend a week going out doing some performances with at least the end results/spectator reactions on film, but also be prepared to have an explanation of the trick depending on how or where you want to market it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:14 am 
born to perform.

Mybe have some people quotes, or maybe a video of the performance that way we can have a veridical overview of the effect, however I believe this kind of effect can be possible,

We can't possibly read one's mind, but we do it anyway, so why not!
Sounds interesting Matt (did I CR your name correctly?)

Good luck my freind!
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:46 pm 
Penguin

Yep! It is Matt. Good CR. I appreciate some of your suggestions. I have seen the video you are talking about and think it is a good idea to contact him and see if the methods are the same. I searched, and have not found this marketed. Others do a similar effect, but have kept it to themselves. (My method is most likely different, but it will be good to know for sure).

Exodus, I am a Junior High Youth Pastor as well as a Commercial Editor for NBC/filmmaker. I tested the effect on my youth group, which is why I was working with a Junior High Youth group. I also agree I will need a video compilation of the effect, and plan to make one. Defensiveness is natural when someone implies you are a liar.

We are always looking for a trick that blows people's minds. I find it interesting that when one is brought up that sounds impossible, it is attacked as not true. Isn't it our goal to create impossible miracles for our spectators? We have seen effects like this performed, so why is it so hard to imagine it can happen to a group of people?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will let you know as more develops with this effect. I will also start to plan a video compilation. I also create movies as a hobby. You can see some at www.mattsconce.com if you did not see the small video I have of the word appearing on the girl's arms, see it here: www.mattillusion.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:02 pm 
Penguin

And like all the immature performers of this art, you come on here and hype up a product you have only tried several times.....

Try refining an effect over a period of years, not 5 performances.

No reason to create hype yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:22 pm 
Penguin

If there is something really cool you discover, a waiting period does not make it better. Input and advice makes it better. I want other people to be able to do this and am interested in how you market an effect. But anyway, comments like the above are just made to bait flame wars. I am trying to share excitement with fellow magic users. If you are not excited, that is fine, but I will not stop because of personal attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:13 pm 
Penguin

I am now moving toward creating a professional video showing the effect. I have been getting some good advice on the Magic Cafe. I will also be performing it as much as possible to see what glitches arise, or what changes can be made to improve the method. -Matt Sconce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I do believe that this effect is possible. I do a similiar effect, but not with pen ink. The method I use is an older idea that I've adapted a little over the years, so I'm sure the methods are probably different. But I know the effect is possible, even though it sounds too good to be true.

My advice to you is to find someone you trust, either on Penguin, another forum, or just a friend, and have them test it out as well. It wouldn't even be bad to get a couple of people to test this for you, just so you can get some better input on all of this. Those people may be able to see a couple of things that could be improved, or other ideas that it could be used on. So I do recommend that you do so.

As for marketing the effect, it is necessary to get a video up. Do not set a date on the release date though, if you do end up going through with marketing this effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:27 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
I do believe that this effect is possible. I do a similiar effect, but not with pen ink. The method I use is an older idea that I've adapted a little over the years, so I'm sure the methods are probably different. But I know the effect is possible, even though it sounds too good to be true.

My advice to you is to find someone you trust, either on Penguin, another forum, or just a friend, and have them test it out as well. It wouldn't even be bad to get a couple of people to test this for you, just so you can get some better input on all of this. Those people may be able to see a couple of things that could be improved, or other ideas that it could be used on. So I do recommend that you do so.

As for marketing the effect, it is necessary to get a video up. Do not set a date on the release date though, if you do end up going through with marketing this effect.

I appreciate the advice and that is a great idea. I am going to have to do that. Sincerely, Matt Sconce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Rich Furgerson does somthing similar/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:42 pm 
Penguin

I just talked to Rich Ferguson. He is a great guy by the way. My method is one of the methods he uses, so I will not pursue marketing. I respect his work and am happy I can perform the illusion, but it is his intellectual property, and I respect that. Sincerely, Matt Sconce