View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 am 
born to perform.

I rarely use gimmicks in a school environment. I pack a deck of cards and a close-up pad and I'm ready to rock. I have enough books to build a solid repertoire of ungimmicked and impromptu magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:52 pm 
born to perform.

You bring a close up pad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:38 pm 
born to perform.

chartman wrote:
You bring a close up pad?

That was he just said.

I've never performed in school. Well once, and it was just a regular deck of cards. It went well, but I'll never perform there again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:18 pm 
born to perform.

maloney, why won't you perform at school any more? I've been out of school for years, but otherwise I would perform there all the time. (The attention from the girls would be nice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:02 pm 
Penguin

Location: I am right here where I am not needed at the moment.
I only use the STS, Sponge balls and the No.2 Pencil in school. And maybe a card trick here or there. Mostly I don't carry gimmicks.

Most card tricks or any other effect take too long usually, and you'd want something that you can do in any situation, and that have so to say no angle difficulties.

The STS is great, but doing it more then once a week is kinda useless I think, because you don't need people going "yeah um.. like can you do that.. thing you do everyday..the shoelace thing..mh cool dude.."
But that's just getting used to it.

Sponge balls are fantastic, you can walk around doing it, you can in almost any situation pull one or two out, get some people to help you out, and do a simple routine.
I like to do them for the new students, or be casual-offensive and make a ball appear from their jacket, ear or whatever. I find it being a great icebreaker and it puts a smile on people's faces. Although I walk around on my own practicing my sleights and memorize my routines almost all the time, I try not to do so when I'm at school because people get bored if your doing one thing all the time. And they might find out what the edited your actually doing..

Sometimes I just bring a deck of cards(always have one on me but still), and just shuffle it. Brings attention when you then cut the deck in different ways, and if your sitting you can ask the person next to you to take a card, and so on.

The No.2 Pencil is a fun asset to have with you, if your about to begin class and you have 2-3 mins before the teacher comes you can take it out and do you thing haha.^

But the sponges are a definite win in my book, I had a test the other day, and took a ball out of my pocket and got bored and was almost done, and I started to mess around with it, doing the ten count while the teacher was looking at. He made me do it several times aloud and this was while I was having a test about history:D

You really don't need to be gimmicked out and have 20 different things to do. Keep it simple, few things and only if people ask you should bring out a longer routine, as most have other things to do then to watch you work your magic.(pun intended)

But you kinda feel it after a while what you need and don't need.

coendog13 wrote:
(The attention from the girls would be nice)

<.< >.> It's really fascinating to look at how to girls act when you know how to do magic.. It's like your a captain of a something-team but without all the running and exercising and feeling tired. Just awesome, like your better then others;D

(Oh yeah I'm not a seasoned whatever magician dude, I just say what I see and take notes of things that are useful and apply in daily life..just in case I may give off the impression that I know everything. I do that sometimes, well in fact I do it all the time. xD Bad habit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 am 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
I bring my sponge ding dong to school, and I am ready for the ladies :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:57 am 
Penguin

Honesty, all you really need are cards and coins. I've never really done a gimmicked trick at school due to the fact that I don't want to expose a trick to my friends if they see what I am doing. I'll do gimmicked tricks on the street because there will be people I don't know who wouldn't know what to expect to see from me.

Post subject: 5 really amazing gimmick effects
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:56 am 
Penguin

1. Double Back

2. $5 and $1 Transo

3. Extreme Burn

4. Invisible Deck

5. Strange Travelers

Now these aren't in any specific order, but they're gimmick effects that involve either cards or money. It's not best to use gimmick effect with friends at school, and if they know you real well they'll want to examine everything you've just performed. But if you're confident in switching effects out for either real cards or money, then you'll definitely blow your friends away with these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:58 am 
Penguin

Yeah... i don´t do magic for friends anymore.. because they get bored when you start showing them stuff all the time. But if you do magic at school it is kind of stupid to walk around with a deck of cards... i did it.. but if you think of it, the spectators think there is something strange with the deck right away. But of course sometimes i see people play cards at school... and then i like to do something.. because then it´s a borrowed deck of cards.

But it does´t matter if you use a gimmick or not... as long as you don´t bring a prop along and do magic with it.

But i have somethings i want to say about exactly this... and if you practice something and you bring it with you as a trick... it is much stronger than if somebody hands you something that you can do magic with... because you have practiced it and you have every thing ready. Now doing magic as problem solving or if somebody gives a suggestion is probably the strongest magic there is, because let´s say somebody says just for fun ´´can you multiply money? haha´´ then this is a perfect opportunity to do for example a bill switch: ´´yeah let´s see´´.

It´s just like jesus, when they did´t have more wine, and he made the water into wine.

this is problem solving... and if somebody know´s you are a magician... they will suggest something.. and if you can do what they say at the spot... then they will experience a real magic moment.

- Kalle A Moen

Post subject:
Penguin

i re posted sorry.

Last edited by kallx on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Penguin

i re posted... sorry.

Last edited by kallx on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:56 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
I bring my sponge ding dong to school, and I am ready for the ladies :lol:

Oh God, I'd love to hear that patter! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:40 pm 
born to perform.

Since my school has "banned" cards, this is what I carry with me all day (as of today):

1. Wallet containing:
-Hundy 500
-Bill set up for the Zero Bill Switch by John Lovick
-Two golden dollars and a silver Susan B. Anthony (for questionable trick by G. Wilson)
-Sometimes Greed
2. Coin Purse #1
-5 Kennedy Halfs and I'm set for: Coins across, 3Fly, Long Gone Silver, Muscle pass tricks.
3.Coin Purse #2
-2 Normal quarters
-2 Bent Bent quarters
4. Sharpie
5. TT

And I'm set for a LOT of magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:22 am 
born to perform.

ayli wrote:
Since my school has "banned" cards, this is what I carry with me all day

why? students gambling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:26 am 
born to perform.

Interesting...my high school also banned cards. They say no gambling, and cards are strictly prohibited. I hate it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next