View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I've never done a show for little kids
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:35 pm 
Penguin

I usually do like close-up magic, street magic, and go to like 13-18 year old party's and stuff to do magic. So today I went to a party shop to get some more balloons for Jay Sankey's airtight. The lady asked me if I was the guy that people are always talking about that does the magic tricks. I told her yes and she said her son turns 7 years old in October and him and all his friends would just love to have a magician at the birthday party. She said she would pay me about $50-$60. I said sure it sounds great but I explained how most of my tricks are for an older audience like Blaine style card tricks (I don't know if 7 year olds would really get a kick out of that), stuff like Saw (I didn't say saw I just said shoving a string through my neck) and I think that wouldn't be appropriate. But she said,"No, no sounds great they'd love it!" But I don't know. What do you guys think? Would you like to maybe reccomnend some tricks that kids have in the past enjoyed with you? Something I can learn and master before October 27th. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:41 pm 
born to perform.

Dude, you can pretty much master any kids show effect before then. I'd advise you to put in an order of seriously silly, a breakaway wand, coloring book, sponge (this will take a bit, but not long) a TT and some silks. This will get you started, and if needed you could use a card trick as a filler.

If you can't order anything, just use cards that change colors and stuff. Like maybe a complete color changing deck routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:43 pm 
Penguin

Sounds good. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:24 pm 
born to perform.

Do this show at your own risk. It takes longer then a month to put a kids show together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:24 pm 
Penguin

You sold a show that you don’t have for way too little money. You are hurting the market two times over and don’t even realise it.
When will people learn that performing for children is not as easy as they think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:35 pm 
Penguin

Glamourboy wrote:
You sold a show that you don’t have for way too little money. You are hurting the market two times over and don’t even realise it.
When will people learn that performing for children is not as easy as they think.

I'll say it again, I HAVE NEVER DONE A KIDS SHOW! THATS WHY I WAS ASKING FOR ADVICE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:36 pm 
Penguin

coendog13 wrote:
Do this show at your own risk. It takes longer then a month to put a kids show together.

I have about a month to get ready. What do you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 pm 
born to perform.

iwantgoodmagic wrote:
coendog13 wrote:

I knew from the second you posted this that you were going to be criticized. Dude, just put the show together the best way you know how. I guarantee you can pull this off.

Oh by the way - how long of a performance is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:42 pm 
Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
iwantgoodmagic wrote:
coendog13 wrote:

I knew from the second you posted this that you were going to be criticized. Dude, just put the show together the best way you know how. I guarantee you can pull this off.

Oh by the way - how long of a performance is it?

:lol:
I really dont know how long she is wanting me to perform. She told me to do all the tricks I have. :lol: I think shes more interested than her son. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 pm 
born to perform.

iwantgoodmagic wrote:
coendog13 wrote:

Cancel the show.

If you're considering doing tricks like Saw, you shouldn't be performing for kids. They will see what you do and try to copy you, the difference being that they don't know the secret and will kill themselves trying.

I realize that you're probably not going to listen to what I wrote and do the show anyways, So I'm at least going to give you advice so that you'll manage to get out of it alive. The first thing you should do is get Seriously Silly by David Kaye. It is the bible of kids show magic. This is possibly the best advice that anyone could give about doing kids shows.

About doing card tricks, from personal experience, even up till about age 10 or 11 they couldn't keep track of more complex tricks (Biddle being one of them, can't think of anymore off the top of my head). At about age 7-8 most kids know the different suits, but they can't keep track of any trick longer than 5 seconds, unless you're really good with kids. If you have any very visual tricks that you could add a good story to, then kids might be interested in it, although it might not be the right thing for a birthday show.

As to what tricks to recommend, remember one thing. With kids it's all about the patter. If you can keep them interested, many different tricks will be good. My best suggestion would to think back to when you were a kid and remember what tricks you liked the best, and do those (but to your own patter which is the most important part) (there's a reason why I wrote that twice with bold, italics, and underline, because for kids, patter is the most important part of the trick). My kids show is basically made up of tricks that I remember seeing when I was a kid (cut and restored rope, sponges, coloring book, nesting wands, change bag) and I know that since I liked it as a kid, most other kids will also like it.

But all that, and more, is covered in Seriously Silly. GET IT! You will learn so much about giving shows for kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:41 pm 
Penguin

you want advice? Send her to a professional.

Its one thing if this is your best friend or relative but this is a paid client. You owe your clients the best possible show. If you cant provide it you send them to someone else. I have suggested other entertainers numerous times as they wanted something that I don’t provide.

If you don’t have a show you don’t sell it. It hurts your name and the market.

If you WANT (not because someone asked you) to do a children's show spend a couple months developing it. If you rush into something like this you are destined for failure.

I know you probably wont listen like so many people on here. If you want to succeed in the future you MUST listen to those more experienced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
you want advice? Send her to a professional.

Its one thing if this is your best friend or relative but this is a paid client. You owe your clients the best possible show. If you cant provide it you send them to someone else. I have suggested other entertainers numerous times as they wanted something that I don’t provide.

If you don’t have a show you don’t sell it. It hurts your name and the market.

If you WANT (not because someone asked you) to do a children's show spend a couple months developing it. If you rush into something like this you are destined for failure.

I know you probably wont listen like so many people on here. If you want to succeed in the future you MUST listen to those more experienced.

I really don't think he should cancel it. I agree, we must listen to those more experienced, but it does sound like the adults want to see it more. I think you should really work out a kids show routine for the future, but I think you should blow her mind with this show. She'll always have you back and recommend you to other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:57 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney I agree with the above posters who say cancel the show. You should never book a show you don't have. There is no shame in turning down a show that you are unprepared for, or is not your current styling. In fact, my daughter has gained more respect by not accepting venues that were not right for her.

Being prepared for a show, knowing your show inside and out, and knowing the target audience is key to a performance. Yes, I am sure the originator of the topic can "get by"-- but that isn't the way you build a reputation and get repeat business.

My best advice to you, iwantgoodmagic, is if you want to perform for children then to go through the same process as you did when learning/performing closeup, etc. Do the research, put the show together, give yourself ample time to practice and rehearse, and then market the final outcome.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:31 pm 

Despite what many novices or amateurs my tell you; Children’s Show are probably the most difficult to perform.

Not only must you entertain them for 30 minutes, you’ll have to keep their undivided attention for the same amount of time...

The selection of magic is also a puzzle, not to mention putting together a clean rehearsed routine in a limited about of time.

Some hints for this age of audience: No playing cards – ever, they simply do not get it. No tricks that could be considered dangerous either.

Here is a list of magic tricks which have proven perfect for children through experience”
• Strat-o-sphere
• Sucker Die Box
• Hippity Hop Rabbits
• 20th Century Silks w/change bag, break-away wand and break-away fan
• Acrobatic Silks
• Tricky Bottles
• Cuts & Restored Rope
• Balloon to Rabbit (If you own a rabbit)
• Zombie (If done well and rehearsed like a pro).
• Floating Table (If done well and rehearsed like a pro).
• Chair Suspension
This is s tiny list, but its effects that never fail me when I perform for children.

A future word to those that wish to book shows and perform. Do not sell a show that you do not have. A last minute routine will look slapped together, it will not flow and distract from the magic and you’ll lose the audience’s attention.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:22 am 
born to perform.

For one bit of advice, do not listen to this guy he is clueless. I will not go into all that you should do because there are volumes of things said about this in the past just hit the search button. It's tiresome to keep writing the same thing over and over.
I do appreciate the way that you approached this and you should be helped if you are willing to put in the TIME and EFFORT to do it. A little over a month away I'd say you have little chance to even scrape the surface of doing a kid show.It has nothing to do with magic but your presentation.
No you should not do a show that you don't have but put that aside and starting working towards putting one together. I don't care how good a magician you are that's about 20% of the show. Kid's can be ruthless. If they don't like your show they will be more than happy to tell you are just get up and do something else.
I read two books,went to one convention and watched two DVDS on kid shows BEFORE I even started putting one together. That is why I have had a lot of success doing this in my area.
One bad show can and will ruin you, so beware.
www.sluggosmagicgiggles.com
www.mbsafetyshows.com
Maloney123 wrote:
Dude, you can pretty much master any kids show effect before then. I'd advise you to put in an order of seriously silly, a breakaway wand, coloring book, sponge (this will take a bit, but not long) a TT and some silks. This will get you started, and if needed you could use a card trick as a filler.

If you can't order anything, just use cards that change colors and stuff. Like maybe a complete color changing deck routine.