View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:38 pm 
born to perform.

you can get great reactions by doing street, but in stage you dont have to do the big illusions you see by copperfield and people, i do things like woman levitation(its not as big as it sounds, just looks really good), vanishing cane, appearing 10 foot shovel, a basic human substitution you can buy for 50 dollars, and thigs like that, nothing that takes thousands of dollars. and when you succesfully levitate a unprepaired spectator, they walk away scared and confused, and they completely believe it to be real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting discussion. I think many here when they think of stage magic, think Copperfield, et al. Stage magic is what you make it. I consider some of the shows I put on, as stage magic. Did I have bright lights, cameras and hundreds of people? No. I had about 40 kids and adults at one and around the same at another. Did I have big expensive illusions? Nope. I had various silk effects, Pom Pom stick, Hippity Hop rabbits, a change bag, PB&J, a TT, some rope, scissors, a genii tube. Stage magic can be for 14 to 1400 people. Now I would not do NFW, or a silver to copper transpo or say a card trick in this setting, just doesn't work. Yes Copperfield and others can get away with it because there are a cameras and monitors around so the whole audience can see what is happening, even if they are in the 26th row in the upper balcony. I love stage magic but also doing close-up, depends on the situation. Heck even did a little stage show in my living room for a bunch of friends we had over. And that was after I performed some close up card/coin tricks. So don't be afraid to develop this aspect of magic if you are interested, there are plenty of effects you can perform without spending thousands of dollars like the big boys. And you still get great reactions and the pleasure of performing.

Post subject: Stage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:42 pm 
Penguin

gatts wrote:
stage is great, i greatly enjoy it, it gives me a vaction for all the close up i do

This is where the BIG money is made and you can tour the world.
Big budget= Big money=world tour =Name in lights.
There are "professionals" on this web-site that visit piguin magic
from time to time.
It's called the world wide web and you can visit it from anywhere. :lol:

Picasso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:43 pm 
Penguin

gatts wrote:
stage is great, i greatly enjoy it, it gives me a vaction for all the close up i do

from time to time.

Picasso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:44 pm 
Penguin

gatts wrote:

from time to time.

Picasso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:54 pm 
Penguin

Well thats why people like it, including myself. I'd rather see some odd contraption penetrating through a beautiful woman and her comnig out completly harmless. I'd rather see that then see a pen go through a dollar.[/quote]

I'm with you on on that one.

Big Budget=World Tour=Name in Lights=Big Money=Big Budget

I love preforming on stage.
That is "show biz".
Picasso

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:27 pm 
born to perform.

i love money, id like to see my name in lights, and i do think magic should make you money, but thats not all stage is about. stage is definately designed for money, but i also think it is the most fun, hearing the applause, seeing the shocked face. i am only 14 and i have expeienced magic those, i cant wait to see more.

Post subject: Quoting an old magician
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:00 am 
Penguin

... by the name of Orson Wells...

See, Stage Magic is about Theatre, while Close-Up is about storytelling. Theatre always has a bit of spectacle in it (hence the really big illusions like vanishing the Statue of Liberty, helicopters, elephants, large dangerous wild feli - ok. Maybe that's a bad example right now), and your 'stuff' can be seen by a very large audience all at once. That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone in the audience sits there thinking 'well big whoop'. But it also means that everything on that stage has to be managed, controlled, maintained... and the magician is responsible for all of that. The magician has to take the stage, control it, and make the audience look where he wants them to look rather than over -> there where someone's doing something The Audience Shouldn't See.

Close-up is more intimate, since it's geared toward a small group, and the "stage" is much smaller, quite often just in the magician's hands. Now you have the same responsabilities, but in a tighter, closer enviroment.

Something to remember here: Most audiences, close-up or stage, don't sit there and say 'well big whoop he did X'. But a lot of magicians do! Remember that most people don't spend as much of their lives dealing with this stuff as deeply as Us Magic Geeks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:45 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Remember that most people don't spend as much of their lives dealing with this stuff as deeply as Us Magic Geeks!

magic geek? i dont know where you got off calling magicians magic geeks, but i think if you conisder yourself a magic geek, you dont have enough self respect. think before you talk, dont just say something because you think it sounds cool. please, choose words wisely! (and no, i am definately not taking offense, i am very, very atheletic and sometimes find myself calling people geeks [i try no to, but some people fit in that category exactly], but i know my brother has been called a geek, and i think that it is very inconsiderate).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:19 pm 
born to perform.

Kevinwbrown wrote:
Quote:
Remember that most people don't spend as much of their lives dealing with this stuff as deeply as Us Magic Geeks!

magic geek? i dont know where you got off calling magicians magic geeks, but i think if you conisder yourself a magic geek, you dont have enough self respect. think before you talk, dont just say something because you think it sounds cool. please, choose words wisely! (and no, i am definately not taking offense, i am very, very atheletic and sometimes find myself calling people geeks [i try no to, but some people fit in that category exactly], but i know my brother has been called a geek, and i think that it is very inconsiderate).

LOL. I am very athletic, therefore I frequently accuse others of being geeks. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:41 pm 
Penguin

I think mplgre just has the ability to laugh at himself (which means he probably has high enough self-esteem to do such things). Not that he's a geek, but he recognizes a popular stereotype of magicians which is often well-deserved. I'm a dork. Long live dorks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:42 pm 
Penguin

I think mplgre just has the ability to laugh at himself (which means he probably has high enough self-esteem to do such things). Not that he's a geek, but he recognizes a popular stereotype of magicians which is often well-deserved. I'm a dork. Long live dorks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:11 pm 
born to perform.

baxter wrote:

i all of the sudden feel unconfortable, i think i am going to go to a different discussion. no offense, but if you can brag about being a dork, you must not have it all up in the head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:00 am 
born to perform.

KevinBrown, if you don't have enough self confidence to make a joke at your own expense... well... good luck in the real world son.

It's called a sense of humour. Don't get so uptight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:52 pm 
born to perform.

ok, i just read your reaction to pro pk vs raven parobol, and i dont know what you have against me but you need to get over it, your not doing anyone a favor by trying to tell someone off.

and by the way, i was joking if you didnt figure that out already, i have no problem with anyone here, but if you dont stop trying to tell me off, i will have a problem with you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next