View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Can 3 year olds "throw" colors?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:33 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if a coloring book routine would be appropriate for a kids show involving 3 year olds. Also if you could give me any other advise on what to do during a show for this age group it would be appreciate.

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:43 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 776
Location: Appleton, Home of Houdini
I think so. I used it for a show with 4 year olds once and they loved it. Make sure you re-read your post on 4 year old shows. These young kids will need to be entertained with more than just magic tricks.

Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
I hate to be a jerk, but I thought you already did Kid Shows, and had a whole bunch of paid gigs- at least that's what you told me when you bashed me for not doing any paid gigs as of yet. I think this, combined with all the other stuff you asked, shows that you were either lying, or you put on a bad show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:53 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
adjones wrote:
I hate to be a jerk, but I thought you already did Kid Shows, and had a whole bunch of paid gigs- at least that's what you told me when you bashed me for not doing any paid gigs as of yet. I think this, combined with all the other stuff you asked, shows that you were either lying, or you put on a bad show.


No, i just got the coloring book. I've actually done 100 kids shows since I've started performing. Again, just lay off me already.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
Maloney123 wrote:
No, i just got the coloring book. I've actually done 100 kids shows since I've started performing. Again, just lay off me already.


Just because you've done 100 Kids Shows, does not mean you're "qualified" or "good". I would more impressed with 1 quality show than 100 crappy ones.

This:

Quote:
Also if you could give me any other advise on what to do during a show for this age group it would be appreciate.


tells me that you probably have not done 100 Kids Shows, or spent much time with kids at all, or you wouldn't be asking that question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 890
100 kid shows really is a lot, considering most full time magicians that I know do 300+/- shows a year. When you add in being a full-time student, that is really pushing yourself.

My daughter has not gotten anywhere near that-- not even close. In fact, this will be the first year that I will be allowing her to do shows during the school year as long as she can handle the time commitment of both.

Remember, magic is great-- its wonderful-- but academics is priority.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 957
Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
kristenl wrote:
100 kid shows really is a lot, considering most full time magicians that I know do 300+/- shows a year. When you add in being a full-time student, that is really pushing yourself.

My daughter has not gotten anywhere near that-- not even close. In fact, this will be the first year that I will be allowing her to do shows during the school year as long as she can handle the time commitment of both.

Remember, magic is great-- its wonderful-- but academics is priority.


Should I not have dropped out then? :lol:






Just kidding


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:37 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 890
Do you want a lecture on the importance of academic achievement? :lol:

I'm quite well known for lectures in our household--- and with the kids we work with--- they'll pretty much do anything to avoid one!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 204
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Maloney123 wrote:
No, i just got the coloring book. I've actually done 100 kids shows since I've started performing.



Wow !! That is a lot of shows to have performed, when you have only been in magic for about a year !!!
You are one busy kid !!

So is magic going to be your main career, when you get out of school ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1335
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Uh...how long did you say you have been in magic?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 1777
Don't 3 year olds still poop their diapers? I personally would never perform a children's show for younger than 6 years old; 5 is pushing it. Anything younger is simply baby-sitting and a waste of time.

You must engage and hold their attention for 30+ minutes and at the same time, control them throughout the show AND be entertaining.

I strongly suggest you do much more reading and research before you attempt anymore paid gigs with small children; you’re going to give the real workers a bad reputation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:16 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 675
Location: Virginia Beach
Just my personal opinion. If it is a bunch of 3 yr olds, then it's definitely going to be tough. The coloring book should be fine though. If you haven't already got it, check out Kid Biz by David Ginn. And believe it or not, there are some good ideas using the coloring book on Dan Harlan's Birthday Shows DVD (not sure of exact title).

If your audience will be mixed ages, including older kids 5 and older, then the 3 yr olds surely shouldn't be a problem as they will memic the older kids.

Of course all of this soley depends on your skills as a children's entertainer.

Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:05 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
I'm going to do some sponge ball stuff and some hanky stuff too. Also, I'm going to use a mouth coil but not from the mouth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:26 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 890
DerZauberer wrote:
Don't 3 year olds still poop their diapers? I personally would never perform a children's show for younger than 6 years old; 5 is pushing it. Anything younger is simply baby-sitting and a waste of time.

You must engage and hold their attention for 30+ minutes and at the same time, control them throughout the show AND be entertaining.

I strongly suggest you do much more reading and research before you attempt anymore paid gigs with small children; you’re going to give the real workers a bad reputation.


I will definitely agree that performing for children of a young age is more of a challenge than that of their older counterparts; however, it is a worthwhile experience if done right. As you say, it does take more because you do have to understand how to engage them, which requires a whole different skill set than some of our younger members may be accustomed to. I respectfully disagree that it is merely "babysitting".

Children of all ages love and adore magic. When we designed my daughter's magic show it was definitely with family entertainment in mind be it a child's birthday party or a stage show. It is geared towards engaging the whole family from the very young to even the grandparents.

When performing for small children it helps to have experience with working with children to understand their different personalities, which can vary greatly. You also have to design your show with the whole family in mind so that you have something for everyone. As DerZauberer said for the younger ones you must hold their attention for 30+ minutes, control them, and still be entertaining for the group as a whole-- it is not an easy task.

Don't take on a child's show because you feel that will be the easiest--- its not. It takes a lot of hard work, a lot of hours or practicing, in addition knowing how to handle children-- and I'm not talking about how to take care of your little brother or sister.

However, if your show is polished-- and I mean polished-- you will be able to capture a child's attention. Not because you are a magician, but because you are a PERFORMER.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 675
Location: Virginia Beach
Well put kristenl.

And I'll add. Even when you are polished and ready to present your show, you should learn something from each and every one of your shows. You must be able to enjoy what you're doing. If you do your show and you did not enjoy it, then you have two choices. Either stop performing those shows, or find out why you didn't enjoy it and figure out what you need to do to enjoy it. You'll find that not being able to control your audiences will lead to great personal disappointment. In the beginning, you may find that your show appeared to have gone fine, but something kept you from having fun. Sometimes it is the little things.

My very first kids show I did as favor to a friend. I absolutely hated it. Though the show went fine and everyone seemed to enjoy it, I gained no personal satisfaction from it the way I had performing strolling magic. I almost decided never to take one of those on again. Lucky for me, the show was a hit. My problem was getting the kids to do what I wanted them to do, and when I wanted them to do it. One of my mistakes was asking a question to a group of kids. Don't do it. All they do is yell and keep yelling their answer. Instead, you pick someone and ask THEM the question. These are things that you may not think about initially, but knowing ahead of time, that is what everyone is saying here. This is part of being prepared. However, there is always something new to learn with each show you do.

Note, this is obviously not the only advice, but you can add it to the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.