View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Trying to find a restaurant?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:15 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 134
I cant seem to find a good restraunt to work at(havent called any restraunts yet), but what is a good restraunt if I live in Georgia?
I thought about Stoney River Legendary Steaks, but now it seems a little too highend?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 3462
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know if paddy still frequents the forums, but what you should really look into are several books and videos on restaurant performing, as for a small price you'll get all of this information plus all the other information you need to be successful.

Live at the Jailhouse
Jim Pace-The Restaurant Worker's Handbook

along with others, but those are the most recommended.

-JT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 134
miniserb725 wrote:
I don't know if paddy still frequents the forums, but what you should really look into are several books and videos on restaurant performing, as for a small price you'll get all of this information plus all the other information you need to be successful.

Live at the Jailhouse
Jim Pace-The Restaurant Worker's Handbook

along with others, but those are the most recommended.

-JT

68 bucks is a little high? Or is it worth it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 776
Location: Appleton, Home of Houdini
I would call every restaurant because you may not be hired at any restuarant of your choice. A restuarant that you may not even expect to hire you, may be who wants you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
flaminfire wrote:
miniserb725 wrote:
I don't know if paddy still frequents the forums, but what you should really look into are several books and videos on restaurant performing, as for a small price you'll get all of this information plus all the other information you need to be successful.

Live at the Jailhouse
Jim Pace-The Restaurant Worker's Handbook

along with others, but those are the most recommended.

-JT

68 bucks is a little high? Or is it worth it?

If you get information that helps you make money Then any price is cheap. I have spent up to $100 for a DVD and learned how to add $100 a night. Seems worth it to me. It takes money to make money, if you can't afford to invest in yourself, then why should anybody else bother.

Paddy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Posts: 2941
Location: Greensburg PA Ring 158
People who go to college spend thousands of thousands dollars on their education to earn only a small portion of that back in a single year. If you spend $100 for a few books/videos/effects and do two shows ONLY at $150 a show how was your money spent? I'm just saying!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Magic at Stoney River / O'Charley's / 99 Restaurant
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Posts: 12
Location: Central MA
Hey there, just some specific advice about that particular restaurant chain. Until very recently, I was a bartender (that did magic) at the 99 Restaurant in MA. They're owned by the same parent company as Stoney River and O'Charleys.
Even though I had impressed my manager, the DM and the VP of the 99, when it came time to approve me working solely as a magician, it got kiboshed by the higher ups. Apparently, magic is not considered "Best of Class" service by the O'Charleys corporation.

I had the ultimate in, and support by the local management, so it should have been a no-brainer. You might have better luck, but someone high up in the company doesn't like magic. Be careful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 134
@ Paddy: yes any book or DVD in my opinion is worth 100 or more, aslong as it teaches you valuable info. So all I was asking is does it teach you valuable info?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trying to find a restaurant?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 1854
Location: Georgia
flaminfire wrote:
I cant seem to find a good restraunt to work at(havent called any restraunts yet), but what is a good restraunt if I live in Georgia?
I thought about Stoney River Legendary Steaks, but now it seems a little too highend?


I live in Georgia as well...

High-end restaraunts are great to work...

Do you have any performing experience? How old are you? Do you know the "Behind the scenes" of restaruant magic (Such as when to do tricks, how to treat the staff, how to approach a table, etc)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trying to find a restaurant?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 4235
Location: Continuously practicing, even as I type.
KyletheGreat wrote:
flaminfire wrote:
I cant seem to find a good restraunt to work at(havent called any restraunts yet), but what is a good restraunt if I live in Georgia?
I thought about Stoney River Legendary Steaks, but now it seems a little too highend?


I live in Georgia as well...

High-end restaraunts are great to work...

Do you have any performing experience? How old are you? Do you know the "Behind the scenes" of restaruant magic (Such as when to do tricks, how to treat the staff, how to approach a table, etc)?


Another Georgian!!! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:04 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Jun 2008
Posts: 359
Location: South Carolina
one state north east ! But I definitly want to do restaraunt walk around
when I'm old enough


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trying to find a restaurant?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:26 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 134
KyletheGreat wrote:
flaminfire wrote:
I cant seem to find a good restraunt to work at(havent called any restraunts yet), but what is a good restraunt if I live in Georgia?
I thought about Stoney River Legendary Steaks, but now it seems a little too highend?


I live in Georgia as well...

High-end restaraunts are great to work...

Do you have any performing experience? How old are you? Do you know the "Behind the scenes" of restaruant magic (Such as when to do tricks, how to treat the staff, how to approach a table, etc)?


Just starting out, I am 15 and will be 16 next june, and no i need to buy a good dvd on restraunt magic, is front row sankey good for that or nay?
Oh, and by the way have you ever eaten at Stoney River? If so I should have my brother serve you, cause he has worked there for like 5 years now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 am 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 1854
Location: Georgia
Popchris wrote:

Another Georgian!!! :lol:


YEEHAW!

flaminfire wrote:

Just starting out, I am 15 and will be 16 next june, and no i need to buy a good dvd on restraunt magic, is front row sankey good for that or nay?
Oh, and by the way have you ever eaten at Stoney River? If so I should have my brother serve you, cause he has worked there for like 5 years now.


Honestly...I don't like Sankey that much.

Dan Fleshman has a few DVD's out on Restaraunt magic that not only teaches you tricks, but also gives you tips and hints on aspects of restaraunt magic other the tricks. Such as things to and not to do. I recommend that you look into them.

I've never eaten at Stoney River...where is it located?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2713
Front row sankey should be last on the list after a few books adn DVD's. All he does is really teach you a few tricks, most of which take up too much pocket space to deal with. I didnt find much of it that impressive and most of it impractical. IF you want something from sankey, real work on restaurants and bars, but you should look into Jim Pace's book as well as a few others out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:32 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 134
KyletheGreat wrote:
Popchris wrote:

Another Georgian!!! :lol:


YEEHAW!

flaminfire wrote:

Just starting out, I am 15 and will be 16 next june, and no i need to buy a good dvd on restraunt magic, is front row sankey good for that or nay?
Oh, and by the way have you ever eaten at Stoney River? If so I should have my brother serve you, cause he has worked there for like 5 years now.


Honestly...I don't like Sankey that much.

Dan Fleshman has a few DVD's out on Restaraunt magic that not only teaches you tricks, but also gives you tips and hints on aspects of restaraunt magic other the tricks. Such as things to and not to do. I recommend that you look into them.

I've never eaten at Stoney River...where is it located?


Norcross, GA, By Pleasant Hill


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.