View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:46 am 
born to perform.

I think in that case the audience would feel disdain for the performer, and be more likely to call out suspicions. Making a humorous comment, or somehow pulling attention away from the "dirty" object will keep them happy without needing to let them examine the object.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:31 pm 
Penguin

"No" can be a humorous answer, if you deliver it with the proper tone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:29 am 
Penguin

Just say ( if audience is in right mood)

" No, this is illegal in this contry.. * looking around and looking freaky* "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:25 am 
Penguin

outrageous42ne wrote:
"No" can be a humorous answer, if you deliver it with the proper tone.

Yes, that exactly what I meant. Like in this context:

"Can I examine that?"

"NO. (switch the object) Just kidding, have a look."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:50 am 
Penguin

A lot of people need to learn how to react if someone asks you something like: can I examine that? Or can I see your deck? can you make my wife dissapear ?... etc

If someone says:
spec: Can I examine that?
Me: (with a smile on my face) Yes, for 200€ ($)

spec: Can I shuffle the deck?
me: Yes, after this trick.

spec: Can you make my wife dissapear?
me: ofcourse, only if I can dissappear with her.

spec: I saw you doing that?
me: wow, you have some good eyes... (be funny)

The main point, don't argue with them and never say: NO! But say YES. The moment you say no, the spec will have the feeling he tricked you.

well, that's my point of view on those things.

Dimitrios

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:36 pm 
Penguin

DerZauberer wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Run away as fast as you can. Yell something at them.

That's just plain silly advice. Actually it isn't even advice, it’s a very poor attempt at humor which falls flat...

i actually laughed at my screen. pretty heartily too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:20 am 
born to perform.

you should read david stones book "close up - the real secrets of magic", there is some good advice in there,
on this question, he say "yes but it costs more", or he vanish it and say, yes, but first you have to find it!, you have to be able to improvise your act a little bit.. specially in close-up.. you cant do the show like a robot.. like if you where on stage. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:50 am 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
Jus say," Yes you can." and then keep on going on with the trick. It gets laughs if done right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:23 pm 
Penguin

puns are not always effective. who ever said "get gimmicks that let you end clean" was right. Tricks like Killer Key are left completely clean at the end and 80% clean in the beginning. If your doing something with a "trick" coin (Scotch And Soda) just do a false transfer and slip that hand w/ the coin into your jacket pocket AS your other hand moves to 'give' the coin to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:30 pm 
Penguin

Also, i sometimes explain that I am using a "trick" coin/cards/et cetera. I perform the gimmicks' effect and when its done I say " I told you this was a 'trick' coin. I did NOT say thats what the 'trick' coin does. Here's what it really does- (proceed with my false transfer advice).... (when they put their hand under yours to catch it, reveal it gone).... Oh I apologize, it seems he is rather shy today."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:58 am 
Penguin

Usually when people request to examine a gimmicked object, the performer drew too much attention to it. It's best to first perform some magic with borrowed and ungimmicked objects. When you eventually bring the gimmick out, no one will want to examine it since you have built trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:14 pm 
born to perform.

for many gimmicks, it looks like an ordinary object. If it is one of them just switch it out with a normal one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:38 pm 
Penguin

Ive never had anyone guess right on how scotch and soda was done by looking at the item, the lines are so tight on the halfdollar.

I once allowed somebody to look at my halfdollar and they accused me of having a fake centavo.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 am 
Penguin

DerZauberer wrote:
Focus on effects that only require sleight-of-hand or gimmicks that allow you to end clean. There are several magic tricks that allow you to hand out the trick for inspection.

Another way to deal with that sort of question is from experience of audience control. Rarely do I ever get that request to have something examined. When I am ending clean, I usually offer the key, card, fork, etc. for inspection without being asked anyway...

By far; THIS.

When you're at the point where you're performing on the street, you should be using very little to no gimmicks at all. Makes your life easier as you're not wasting time practicing how to ditch/switch anything for an object that can be examined. Plus, ending clean and able to show off just adds that much more to your presentation of skill and mastery.

~Burkey

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:36 am 
Penguin

Bicycle12 wrote:
Generally, that probably won't happen, unless you're dealing with darn hecklers. Depending on the object, you could do a finger palm vanish or something, slip it in your pocket secretly, and then make it "vanish" when you give it to them.

Can you give me an example of a situation?

That would be awesome... they should add a couple of ways to dispose of gimmicked items when they are not examinable at the end of the trick... and have it vanish as you apparently handing it to them... ta-dah! A bonus trick they are not expecting... and now they are wondering "where it went?" and not.. it was a gimmicked item.

- or -

"..there's still more.. that was only intermission.." continue doing a trick as if it was part of the first one with the gimmicked item at that point where you can do a switch.