View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

WOW, what a great response-- thanks guys! I would like to respond to you guys: :D

Fred531: Your closing all depends on the rest of your act so the options are endless for you! That is the good part! Coming up with a strong finale is the hard part. Just make sure that whatever you end it with you "wow" the kids. This really needs to be an attention grabber that not only the kids talk about, but something the parents will remember as well.

If my daughter is doing a kids show then she will use her circle/square. Now you might think...circle/square-- but hers is awesome! It was custom built by her dad and is very large AND the final load is pretty gosh darn cool and unexpected.

If it is a stage show then our daughter will do her dollhouse routine. Again this is a large illusion her Dad built. Although she keeps dropping hints that she wants "daddy" to build her a saw the lady in half. Although, I just saw the SnakeBabe do a pretty nice illusion that I wouldn't mind having her dad build, which is the origami box. If anyone happens to know (Paddy :D ) what book I could possibly find plans of it in--well, I would just be as happy as a new puppy!

dbaker_creater: Of course that counts! Getting your gigs scheduled is a vital part of the magic business. Glad to hear one of our local guys is keeping so busy! YAY Have you been to Gerry's lately? Our family really wants to get over there as we plan on picking up a copy of Believe and we would like to have Joel sign it. I'm really happy for him-- he is such a nice guy! He and his family came out to support our daughter at her very first show in Pleasant Hill a few years back now.

I'm glad you are working out some new routines. Maybe one of these days--when we finally get ourselves back over there-- we'll run into you and can chat magic. Are you part of Gerry's club? Our (Hubby and Daughter's) memberships ran out and we've been so busy that we haven't gotten over there to sign up again.

Keep us up to date of any public shows you have coming up!

orcishorde: I'm sure your cards will look great. If it is a reflection of you, that is all that matters. I would still love to see them, but I am sure you did a fine job. Speaking of business cards and such, I need to re-design my daughters cards & website because even though I redesigned them a year ago, they are already dated. That's the problem with you kids--- you grow up and change so fast! :lol: She is going to be getting her braces off in a couple of months though so I am going to wait until then so we can have all new photos taken before I redesign everything.

If I may ask...how old are you? You must be older than I thought if you are already working the restaurants. Good for landing a busking job! Sorry to hear about the wisdom teeth though, I can commiserate with you on that one. It hurts like [beep] I would love to see a video of what you came up with once you redesigned your routine. Good luck, and most importantly, have FUN working out all the new stuff.

Paddy: I have thought about you and Ruthie a lot lately hoping that your fair gig is going well for you. I know that you are working such long hours that I haven't wanted to pester you with emails and chit-chat, because we both know how chatty I can be! :lol: I've missed our visits though. Just know that my thoughts and prayers have been with you both!

Oh, the video I sent you (which seriously, don't worry about watching you've seen the same act countless times) that the audience member put up-- its had over 475 hits! I have no idea how people are finding it, unless they are just searching her name. I mean, yeah, I've sent it to a few of my magician friends-- and family-- but they would hardly generate those kind of numbers.

As far as your new rope routines-- I think that would be totally cool if you could do a whole strolling set with just ropes! I really like rope magic. Are you studying any rope routines in particular? I really enjoy Daryl's rope work. I also love the rope he recommends (and sales) it is some of the best I have used. If you aren't cutting it, because it would get expensive, you should really take a look at it. One of these days maybe you could get Ruthie to take a video as I would love to see some of your work-- thats the problem with living half-way across the country!

Again, my best to you and Ruthie.

Kyle: Okay, my head must be buried in the sand because I seriously did not know there was any kind of a gas shortage. Gas abounds aplenty here (California) albeit it is expensive! I really hope it doesn't come down to the point where you have to cancel shows because of availability. As a college student I am sure that you really rely on that income! I know that is how my daughter also wants to support herself through college.

CONGRATULATIONS! Good job on completing you new stage act. I am sure that you are excited that the process is finally finished and anxious to put it into practice. I hope that it really plays big for you at your next stage show.

What are you studying in school and how many more years before you graduate?

Blindside: Very cute song, I like it. I can see where it would have a lot of potential with the kids. My only question is it royalty free? I know that opens up the whole debate issue whether to use music or not to at an event-- but I would be so paranoid to use something and then get in trouble for using it because it was copyrighted. My daughter's act uses all royalty free music except for one song, which is absolutely fantastic! We actually met the composers of the song and my daughter was actually able to get permission to use the song in her performances as long as she gave some kind of credit for it, which was easy enough--- we have a "thank you" on the main page of her website.

I really do think that music adds greatly to a performance whether it is stage or a birthday show. Even when my daughter is doing storytelling magic she will have music reflecting the mood of the magic playing in the background.

Ayli: Don't be too hard on yourself. I know it is hard balancing magic with school. Our whole family is into the magic, but around here, we all know that school is first priority with magic following after. It is good you know what is most important. Just do the best that you can. Try to schedule some time on the weekend to work on your new material when you homework schedule is lighter. This is a good reminder to myself as well, because I need to get started working on new material also! I have been just as laxed. I have lots of thoughts, not to put them into something more concrete such as an actual routine! But, as you said, with winter coming you should have a little more time to perhaps work on things also since it will be getting darker sooner in the evenings and that seems to force us all into our homes earlier.

Again, don't be too hard on yourself. Keep working hard at school, and when you can, work some time in for your magic.

Good luck! :D

Glamourboy: Congratulations on your bookings! Wow, 40 shows. That is really great. Sounds like you are really starting to build your reputation in your area. That is fantastic news for you. Keep up the hard work. If you ever get a chance, I would love to see one of your shows if you have any videos up on YouTube.

Us: We've just really been running around a lot. With our daughter back in school our days are filled. She has tons of homework each night, which really takes up most of the evening. On weekends she gears up on her magic (and more homework). She hasn't worked on any new material, which means she just has to work on perfecting her current show. She does have another public show coming up in about 2 weeks-- after that I hope we can start working on the 2nd show material. Right now she doesn't have any private parties booked, but that may be slow coming as she typically closes her bookings at the end of summer for the new school year. This is the first time she has decided to do shows during the school year. Oh, and speaking of school, she also has her PSATs coming up in a couple of weeks -- which means a lot of you probably do too! So, good luck on them!!!

Well, now that I have written a novel, and taken a good portion of a hour I guess I had better get busy elsewhere.

Again, thanks for all the updates! Sounds like you all are doing some fantastic things and I really hope you keep us all updated and check in when you can!

:D ,

Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 pm 
Team Penguin

Yeah, the gas thing is only happening in the Southeast...but it is bad, and it's finally starting to get some coverage in the media...gas in Georgia is still around and above $4.00 per gallon which is high compared to the national average. We have been in this state of shortage for almost 2 weeks now, and the reason nobody has heard of it is because our governer is too dumb to declare us in a "state of emergency". When gas arrives to a station, people fight and race to fill up cause they don't know when and where the next shipment will arrive! Therefore, we are in this cycle that won't end until somebody does something about it!

the states affected are mostly Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and South Carolina. I recieved a call from a family member in North Carolina today who said that gas is $3.21 where he lives...boy what I would give to see that here! It all happened after Hurricane Ivan when some of the rigs were shut down...our states run off the pipeline.

As for college, I'm studying Sociology. If I pass everything this semester, I should have my Associates degree by December...and then it'll be at LEAST another two years before I'm done.

The new show seems to be good so far. I tried it out last week for the first time and everything went well. I am eager to do it again and make sure that there are no "bugs" in it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 pm 
born to perform.

Kyle, thanks for the update on the state of the US. I had no idea that was going on. I haven't heard a thing about it in the news. Boy, how naive some of us are!! I hope the situation gets resolved quickly, not only for your own sake, but for the sake of everyone. That has a huge impact on the economy and families of the Eastern states. Have you spoken with Bob lately? Has it affected him as well?

Congrats on the Associates degree-- notice I am saying "congrats" because I have no doubt that you will pass all of your classes and be well on your way into the next 2 years of studying. Sociology is interesting. What exactly do you want to do after graduation? Do you plan on using your degree to help further your full time career in magic, or will you do magic as a side line to working full-time? LOL, not that it is any of my business, I just really like listening to the goals and ideas of the future generations. It's a sign of getting old(er). :lol:

I'm glad your trial run went without any hitches. Its always a bummer after working so hard on something to have one of the components of your show fall flat. Again, congrats! I am sure it is quite entertaining!

Keep up the great work!

Kristen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:21 pm 
Team Penguin

Bob is doing great. I saw him a few weeks ago in Atlanta. I am unsure if it has affected him or not, but it more than likely has. I haven't talked to him since this thing hit...I should call him and find out1

Well thanks. I hope I pass everything. I am signed up for 15 credit hours this semester and two of the classes are really difficult and demanding. After graduation, I would love to expand my magic career some more, but you never know what is going to happen. If I do have to get a real job, I am thinking about teaching. I could have a lot of fun with that...but it would have to be the high school level though...I couldn't put up with the hormone driven middle schoolers, or the responsibility of looking after the elementary schoolers!

Sociology is a VERY fun and interesting subject to me, because it is so broad and covers EVERYTHING! I love it. Plus I agree with its thoughts and theories more than other behavior related branches (such as psychology). When approached with an issue, a psychologist usually says "Here take these pills and they will make you better". I like the sociologists goal; instead of prescribing pills, he tries to get to the root of the problem and work from there in order to correct it. Society makes us who and what we are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:25 pm 

KyletheGreat wrote:

Sociology is a VERY fun and interesting subject to me, because it is so broad and covers EVERYTHING! I love it. Plus I agree with its thoughts and theories more than other behavior related branches (such as psychology). When approached with an issue, a psychologist usually says "Here take these pills and they will make you better". I like the sociologists goal; instead of prescribing pills, he tries to get to the root of the problem and work from there in order to correct it. Society makes us who and what we are.

SORRY Kyle. My degrees are in psychology and I was in the field until 1986. a PSYCHIATRIST PRESCRIBES PILLS, they are MDs. a psychologist uses non chemical therapies to get to the root of the problem.

Don't confuse us with the pill pushers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:18 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
orcishorde: I'm sure your cards will look great. If it is a reflection of you, that is all that matters. I would still love to see them, but I am sure you did a fine job. Speaking of business cards and such, I need to re-design my daughters cards & website because even though I redesigned them a year ago, they are already dated. That's the problem with you kids--- you grow up and change so fast! She is going to be getting her braces off in a couple of months though so I am going to wait until then so we can have all new photos taken before I redesign everything.

If I may ask...how old are you? You must be older than I thought if you are already working the restaurants. Good for landing a busking job! Sorry to hear about the wisdom teeth though, I can commiserate with you on that one. It hurts like [beep] I would love to see a video of what you came up with once you redesigned your routine. Good luck, and most importantly, have FUN working out all the new stuff.

I hope so. . . i designed them myself and a got alot of opinions saying they were very good and looked professional, im planning to get a website soon, just need to find a website that will hold a Australian domain so then it will be easier to search for online. . . shouldnt be to long :D .

Hehehe, yeah alot of people think im older than i sound :D , i actually look like im 18 and older because im am 185cm height and i am very mature :wink: . But seriously i am only 16 and currently i work at La Piazza which is a family / formal italian restraunt, and i get paid $50 / hour and i do 3 hours walkaround a night on saturdays :D , currently i'm getting into the birthday party business and am starting private parties as ive already done a few christening's, 21st birthdays and one or two
cooperate events :D

P.S - i work here http://www.lapiazza.com.au/ what do you think of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
born to perform.

The restaurant looks really nice! You must be doing really well in your magic to be busking at a restaurant at only 16! Congrats, I am really proud of you!! Reaching this kind of position takes a lot of maturity and dedication. Good job!

It is actually a good thing that you are taken for being older than you are, it will make the client & customers more at ease with you. My daughter is also very often mistaken for being older than she is.

Our website is on Yahoo. Its not the cheapest out there, it is $11.95 a month now, but it is very easy to ftp to and update. For me, ease of use is very important as I do have decent computer skills, but I am no guru by any means. You might want to check in to their plans.

Keep up the great work and please keep us updated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Ayli: Don't be too hard on yourself. I know it is hard balancing magic with school. Our whole family is into the magic, but around here, we all know that school is first priority with magic following after. It is good you know what is most important. Just do the best that you can. Try to schedule some time on the weekend to work on your new material when you homework schedule is lighter. This is a good reminder to myself as well, because I need to get started working on new material also! I have been just as laxed. I have lots of thoughts, not to put them into something more concrete such as an actual routine! But, as you said, with winter coming you should have a little more time to perhaps work on things also since it will be getting darker sooner in the evenings and that seems to force us all into our homes earlier.

Thanks for the "pick me up" Kristen, I'll take everything you said into account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
Team Penguin

paddy wrote:
KyletheGreat wrote:

SORRY Kyle. My degrees are in psychology and I was in the field until 1986. a PSYCHIATRIST PRESCRIBES PILLS, they are MDs. a psychologist uses non chemical therapies to get to the root of the problem.

Don't confuse us with the pill pushers.

You're correct Paddy...my typing mistake...I had "ology" on my mind and slipped it in there on accident...it was a "Freudian Slip"...now THERE is some PSYCHOLOGY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:11 pm 
born to perform.

ayli wrote:
kristenl wrote:

Thanks for the "pick me up" Kristen, I'll take everything you said into account.

You know Ayli I was thinking about this and knowing how hard it is to balance school with learning new magic I thought perhaps maybe you could set a goal for yourself? It doesn't have to be a big one, something small-- and give yourself a timeline in which to complete it. Whether it is just doing research, learning a new trick, outlining a new routine-- whatever it may be. Break it down into smaller aspects so it is not so overwhelming and before you know it you will be surprised by how much you have accomplished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:37 pm 
born to perform.

I'll try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:11 am 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:

Quote:
Blindside: Very cute song, I like it. I can see where it would have a lot of potential with the kids. My only question is it royalty free? I know that opens up the whole debate issue whether to use music or not to at an event-- but I would be so paranoid to use something and then get in trouble for using it because it was copyrighted. My daughter's act uses all royalty free music except for one song, which is absolutely fantastic! We actually met the composers of the song and my daughter was actually able to get permission to use the song in her performances as long as she gave some kind of credit for it, which was easy enough--- we have a "thank you" on the main page of her website.

I really do think that music adds greatly to a performance whether it is stage or a birthday show. Even when my daughter is doing storytelling magic she will have music reflecting the mood of the magic playing in the background.

Kristen, It was my understanding that when I purchased these songs, I could use them in shows without violating copyright infringement. I have since E-mailed the singer/song writer directly (Nik Martin). He wrote back saying that these songs are only available for purchase through his website (the links I provided already). They are not for sale anywhere else. He granted me permission to continue using these songs in my shows...with this admonishment: Do not copy the music nor sell the songs, as he makes his living by selling his own material.

The songs I mentioned also have some specific dance moves associated with them, to get your audience more involved. Kind of like the "Macarena" these dance moves can be very humorous as the music quickens further into the song. Lots of fun can be had by all. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:33 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the update! I appreciate it. I will take another look at that because I could see different ways to use it--- also, it may be fun regardless of magic with the younger kids my daughter and I volunteer with. We are always looking for fun things to do with them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:18 pm 

I watched the video of Kristen's daughter's act the other day. i was totally impressed again with this young magician. She uses music in her act that is totally integrated with her moves. I swear that she has this choreographed down to what move to make on which note it is that perfect.

Follow what this lady tells you and you will be a success, I expect her daughter to be a FISM Champion with a couple of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
paddy wrote:
I watched the video of Kristen's daughter's act the other day. i was totally impressed again with this young magician. She uses music in her act that is totally integrated with her moves. I swear that she has this choreographed down to what move to make on which note it is that perfect.

Follow what this lady tells you and you will be a success, I expect her daughter to be a FISM Champion with a couple of years.

What's up with all of the kissing up? Kristenl, why don't you ever let your daughter talk on Penguin Magic? You talk about her enough.... :roll: