View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cold reading?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 pm 
Penguin

so wheres some good starting points? i got the full facts on cold reading but are there any other better starting points? its something ive been interested in for a while now and id like to try it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:43 pm 
born to perform.

The best sourse that I can think of, off the top of my head is a book called "The Dance" by a guy named Brad Henderson. It's very popular. A few years ago, I wanted a copy of it, but found out it was out of print. I contacted every magic shop I could think of to see if they had a copy on the shelf. No luck. I even called Brad at home and asked him if HE had an extra copy lying around. He didn't, but he did say that he was considering a paperback release within the next year.

Finally, a second printing WAS released and they have now disappeared as well. Your dealer can special order it. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's worth every penny.

Murphy's Magic shows they have 28 copies left. Have your local dealer order you one.

Here's the description for it.....

The Dance
by Brad Henderson

Quickly selling out in its first edition, THE DANCE is now recognized as one of the most important books written on the subject of cold reading. Revealed, often for the first time, are the the tricks of the trade employed by psychics to convince the public they are delivering profound messages replete with specific details. THE DANCE will teach you both what to do and how to do it, including:
:arrow: Asking the right questions
:arrow: Your natural safety net
:arrow: Handling skeptics
:arrow: Dealing with stereotypes
:arrow: Spinning a miss into a hit
:arrow: Getting them to do the work
:arrow: Ethical Issues
:arrow: Avoiding common mistakes
:arrow: Rewriting their memory
:arrow: Readings from the stage.

Finally, THE DANCE closes with two audience-tested performance pieces that will allow you to develop your cold reading skills while entertaining your audience.

98 pages, paperback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:51 am 
born to perform.

THE DANCE is a very good book, but full of typos! I have the first edition and there are about 10 typos per page !

Anyway, I also recommend a lot of Richard Webster material here is his page :

http://www.deceptionary.com/webster.html

I recommend you quick and effective cold reading as well as psychometry from A to Z.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:02 pm 
born to perform.

If you're just starting out, I also recommend The Gentle Art of Cold Reading from Lee Earle. You get a booklet that explains the Classic Reading routine step-by-step and you get an audio CD that explains how to get into cold reading and make money from each reading, as well as goes over the routine that's in the booklet. Cost is about $30.00

I've used this same routine for a couple of years. It's VERY good. I've even done readings in chat rooms and IM. I did a reading for a guy in India one time, and was 100% accurate in the reading, according to him. I could not convince the guy that I was not real....He hounded me for weeks for information on his love life and career, etc... The routine is very convincing. It's great for beginners and worth a look in to.