View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Hand out business card at every table?
yes 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
no 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: card em'
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

Hand out your business card at every table?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:05 am 
born to perform.

No, that makes you look desperate for work.

I only hand out business cards for 1 of 2 things:

1 - The table askes for a few (1 in about 3 tables will ask for me)

2 - If i do a effect with the business card or such, i just hand it to them and throw in a quick line to go with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:07 am 

Every table you work for? Yes. Every table just because they're there? No, not unless they ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:00 am 
born to perform.

Yes, every table you perform at. Include an effect that uses your card.

I recommend having designing a business card to be printed on playing cards; http://www.artscow.com/diy/Playing%20Cards
The advantage to this is that it incorporates your info in to effects making you that much more memorable and the card is less likely to get lost among all the other business cards a person might have.

Another idea is to have a custom ink stamp made so you can stamp your own card's face or back.
http://www.rubberstamps.net/wood-mounted-rubber-stamps.aspx
3"X3" is $24.95

For example, one could design their own stamp so that the image and info fits around the pip on an Ace of Diamonds. The back could be signed and the card used for an Ambitious Card routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 am 
Penguin

For me, this is a deeper subject than we may think. The point of giving out your card is so that if the guests at the restaurant want you to do a show for them, they can get a hold of you. So I consider several things during my time to decide on the card. I may be judgmental, but I can usually tell if it's going to be worth my time to give them a card. I have worked in the public for years and I can judge pretty well the type of people who might be interested in hiring me later, and let's face it, if you're part time, business cards can get expensive if your giving twenty to thirty out a night. Here's two lists I came up with while I was sitting here thinking about it.

Usually no card to:

1. Young couples.
2. Older couples.
3. Grandmas and Grandpas.
4. Families with lots of kids.
5. Groups of old people, or teenagers.
6. The four dudes out on the town.
7. The traveling sports team. (No not even that girls volleyball team last Friday)
For example: The other night I performed for a family where the Dad was on disability, the mom worked at Arby's, and they had I think four kids. One was real young maybe less than 2. These guys are probably not going to be able to afford an 80 dollar birthday party. They're probably at their once a month eat out so in my opinion no card for them.

Usually a card to:

1. A lively social group
2. Pastors especially youth leaders.
3. Families with 2 -3 kids that look like their doing okay.
4. Any kind of business owner or company rep.

Here's a couple other things. If I'm not sure, then I'll ask if they want a card. The other is, if they really want you they'll ask for a card, or if they've left, I've had them call the restaurant and the corporate office is nice enough to give me the message. And finally what I'm writing here has been my experience and for you full time pros is probably different. I have gotten bookings from all of the groups I listed I regularly give cards to (except the pastors). My cards cost $20 for fifty so I'm also kind of stingy about giving them out.

Hope this offers some other good insight.

Chritopher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 pm 
Emperor Penguin

When I do restaurant magic, I will give my card out to about every third or fourth table I do. This is simply because I have 3 or 4 routines I will do when I go to a restaurant. One of these uses a business card. Otherwise, I will give a card to people who ask for it.

On a few occassions, I will hand out a card to people who I think would be likely to hire me in the future. Which is based on stereotypes, but it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:36 am 
born to perform.

Im the same as Fallingblood.

It all works, but dont give it to everytable.

Also casmith518, your getting ripped off big time. hahaha sorry to tell you but $20 for 50 cards sucks, find a better printer

I went to my local printer, and got 1000 full colour, single sided cards, with high gloss at a charge of $110

and all that for $110 for 1000, im not comlpaining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:03 am 
born to perform.

Sounds like casmith, considering his experience, is having VERY nice high quality cards made.

If one is a impressionable entertainer the quality and expense that goes in to the card will not get a magician more shows. I believe it is better to get your name out there as much as possible, getting a card to whom ever has a pulse. Obviously within reason.
Actually, shows will come by the way of giving that card to someone who absolutely does not appear to be the type to book a show. The shows come when, by word of mouth, they give your info to someone who would contact you for their event.

"If you happen to know of someone interested in hiring memorable entertainment, please, offer them my contact information."

In these days of the internet, entertainers should at least have a simple page up with basic show information and contact info. with the site address printed somewhere on something that is handed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 pm 
Penguin

True, my cards are good quality, which may be a down fall. I need to check into the costs more deeply though. I had a graphic designer create posters and the business cards, and I wanted the cards to be more memorable. I also agree that the quality of the card isn't going to help get a gig. I guess I selfishly enjoy the comments on the card quality. I am going to check on the prices though. I actually got 250 for free as part of an upcoming gig.

Love you guys
Christopher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Wow that's great Chris (if I can call you that, sorry if not).

I think it depends wich market your in anyway, high quality cards wich are more expensive might be better, they can reflect on you, and it's also good you've got pride in somthing your giving away, rather then a horrid looking cheap card (not saying yours are horrid, Orc).

But I have a friend who makes very nice cards with good quality for $30 for 200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:46 pm 
Penguin

Chris is fine.

I did start out with cheap cards from Staples. And they worked for awhile but I wanted something a lot more eye catching. I'm not performing as often as you full timers so that was part of my point I guess. Part of the cost may be the design. But I don't know. Still have to look into it.

Soaring

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:37 pm 
Penguin

I've found vistaprint to be really good for cards, if you pick your offers with them you can get some decent stuff. I've got 500 double sided cards for £15 inc delivery

I am specific as to who I give them out to, its basically who will ever get me work really, but i take a lot more care when giving them out then just thinking "they will hire me".

I just remember these cards have my personal phone number on them, and I dont want prank calls