View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bat Mitzvah
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:46 pm 
Penguin

Hello i have recently been hired to do a Bat Mitzvah. Im being hired to do a 30 min show for the little ones and walk around for the teens, followed by my balloon animals and puppets. I have my routine put together and such , just wanted to know if anyone has any bahtmitzfa experience ?

And please dont flame me i'm an experienced magician not a scrub , Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

First of all, it's Bat Mitzvah - two words.

I am Jewish, so I know a thing or two about Bat Mitzvahs. :wink:

Jewish people are just like any other layman you will meet. They (well most of them) love magic and are great at paying attention. Some of them may use a lot of logic and won't believe in magic at all and try to heckle you, but you say you are experienced so I'm sure you know how to connect with an audience. 8)

Now I am not sure how religious they are, but if they are as religious as me (you probably won't be able to tell, so better stay on the safe side) then there are a few DONT'S:

1. Don't touch ANY women's/girl's hands/body of any age - This limits sponge balls, and maybe some coin work.

2. Don't make reference to religion, god, or real magic - they might take offense.

3. Don't make any sexual/love references, even with the adults.

4. Don't use any foul language. (But that should be a given, no matter who you perform for)

That's a few off the top of my head. But don't worry too much, it's basically just like any other walk around situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:10 pm 

How traditional are they? You might want to ask about tying knots, cutting ropes, that sort of thing. Maybe Ayli can explain why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
How traditional are they? You might want to ask about tying knots, cutting ropes, that sort of thing. Maybe Ayli can explain why.

Sorry I can't Dave. I don't see the problem in tying or cutting rope.

In fact I do a cut and restored rope in my show all the time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-JjLFAIsFc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:50 pm 

Okay, I looked deeper. It's the Hasidic and Consertive Jews that I was referring to with their 39 categories of prohibited activities. It has to do with working on the Sabbath (Shabbat) , and not doing work of any kind, including tying knots or handling money.

It's just something you should clear with your host first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
Okay, I looked deeper. It's the Hasidic and Consertive Jews that I was referring to with their 39 categories of prohibited activities. It has to do with working on the Sabbath (Shabbat) , and not doing work of any kind, including tying knots or handling money.

It's just something you should clear with your host first.

Oh, that.

You are mistaken though. On the Sabbath, 39 main categories of work are prohibited and each category has many sub categories. There are categories regarding tying, untying ropes, and cutting certain things. It depends on how observant they are; if they observe the Sabbath or not.

Now I am not Hasidic or Conservative, but I am Orthodox and I observe the Sabbath. You have to understand that there are many levels of Judaism, and each level has it's own views.

Now, I'm 99% sure that the Bat Mitzvah is not on Friday Night/Saturday, because if it was, they probably wouldn't hire a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm 
born to perform.

Actually, I think he should work out how religious they are first of all. Im jewish, and make most of my money at barmitzvahs, and almost none of your rules apply to my performances.

Quote:

1. Don't touch ANY women's/girl's hands/body of any age - This limits sponge balls, and maybe some coin work. - I don't agree, I touch people all the time (6-70), need to for certain tricks and never had a problem.

2. Don't make reference to religion, god, or real magic - they might take offense. - Making fun of our own religion is often entertaining for all.

3. Don't make any sexual/love references, even with the adults. - Often do with the adults or sometimes 13 year olds (well love, not sexual).

4. Don't use any foul language. (But that should be a given, no matter who you perform for) - True.

Lastly, if you have not done barmiztzvahs before, the 13 year olds will absolutely kill you. No joke.

Also, granted most a on Sundays, but I have done my fair share of Saturday Barmitzvahs aswell.

Last edited by ukcop on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

ukcop wrote:
- Making fun of our own religion is often entertaining for all.

Unless I am mistaken, I don't think he is Jewish.

ukcop wrote:
I don't agree, I touch people all the time (6-70), need to for certain tricks and never had a problem.

Again, I don't know the religious status of the people who hired him. I personally would never touch a woman, but that is my view, maybe not others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

Maybe so, however he is a professional, he can call and ask these questions.

You say you never touch a woman? You never do sponge balls or similar? What about if you want someone to put their hands in a certain position, and they may not understand, especially with younger kids, like 6-9 year olds.

And OP, no disrespect, but I would seriously consider learning to spell Bar-Mitzvah, its very disrespectful and unprofessional to put that on a contract of other documents of any kind.

Last edited by ukcop on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:53 pm 
born to perform.

ukcop wrote:
You say you never touch a woman? You never do sponge balls or similar? What about if you want someone to put their hands in a certain position, and they may not understand, especially with younger kids, like 6-9 year old girls.

Not unless they are related to me, no I don't. I work around it, it is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:54 pm 
born to perform.

Fair enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:52 am 
born to perform.

I too do bar/bat mitzvah's fairly often. I'm also orthodox jewish, and yes, unless it's on the sabbath (friday night or saturday) you won't have a problem with any cutting/TnR/dollar bill routines/coin work. Be sure to factor that in. Also it is worth checking the religeous status of the family, and what they personlly believe (which includes the touching etc.)

But in general you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 am 

I go to a conservative congregation myself and have been hired several times for bar/bat mitzvahs. The rule I enforce is the family can not pay me on that day, they can send a check either before or after but no money on Shabbat.

Most were on Shabbat but the Rabbi reminded me NO cutting, or flash paper. He doesn't mind turning on the lights but no flash paper. You work your act the best you can.

Yes I know Irish name but a Jew??? Yes.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Yes I know Irish name but a Jew??? Yes.

Paddy

LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:50 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Most were on Shabbat but the Rabbi reminded me NO cutting, or flash paper. He doesn't mind turning on the lights but no flash paper. You work your act the best you can.

What an oxymoron. He objects to lighting a fire with a lighter, but not to lighting a fire with a switch.