View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

orcishorde wrote:
well im only 16 and i already work in restruants and kids shows, corporate events, etc

it all depends on how good you are and who you know :D

Interesting, you have any videos?

Your spelling and maturity appears to be below what I would expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:34 pm 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
An additional comment I would like to make is that I feel it is important to let the client know that you ARE a youth performer and then let them decide whether they want to hire you. We are always very upfront with them for the exact reason stated above.

Agreed. As a paying customer this is the kind of thing that I would definately want to know.

Kristen - I imagine that alot of your daughters shows would be by word of mouth and referrals, but do you ever get people ringing up enquiring about a show, and when they find out that she is a 15 year old girl (not being sexist, it's just magic is very stereotypically a guys hobby) just be like, oh umm we'll give it a miss. That must be a tough obstacle to overcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:18 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
I did my first show at thirteen, and all the other kids were 7-11 years old.
If I wasnt so tall, Id look like I belong in the audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:42 am 
Team Penguin

ukcop wrote:
orcishorde wrote:
well im only 16 and i already work in restruants and kids shows, corporate events, etc

it all depends on how good you are and who you know :D

Interesting, you have any videos?

Your spelling and maturity appears to be below what I would expect.

True...I also find it a little odd to see a 16 year old working a corporate gig...I couldn't pay THEM to book me until I was 18 and had good referrals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:14 am 
born to perform.

Jupiter, actually I am very selective about where my daughter performs because she is only 15 and I want to make sure it is an appropriate venue. For example, she was asked to do a Wine & Jazz festival. Now, she was only 14 at the time, and I just didn't think it was the right venue for her, nor did I think she would give them the type of magic that they were looking for. The client really tried to talk me into it because she had gotten a great referral from one of her past client's, which was a city event, but you have to look at each show individually and see if you are right for it and if it is right for you.

To answer your question though, no we have never had anyone call up and do a pass because she is a young female magician. Her gigs do come from public performances, recommendations, and referrals, but also her marketing material has a picture of her on it so people know before calling what to expect.

One cool thing that happened--- we recently had family photos taken at a portrait studio. After taking family photos we inquired whether or not we could come back with our rabbit to take promotional pictures for our daughter. The photographer when she found out our daughter was a magician thought it was the coolest thing and asked if we had business cards. Of course, we always carry some. She took all the cards we had and taped one to the front desk and put the others behind the counter for people that inquired. She said they had so many families passing through that this was the perfect place to advertise. She told us to be sure to come bring more cards at anytime. I just thought that was really cool of her to do for our daughter and we hadn't even initiated it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:45 am 
Penguin

Lot of good stuff here. Let me expose my thought process. On having the birthday kid pick the assistant I was thinking it would take the burden off myself and make her feel like she was more part of her magic show. But I can see now why you wouldn't want to do that.

Regarding whether your worth it, I gauge this with a follow up thank you letter and comment form for them to mail back to me (SASE of course). So far the reviews are positive.

And regarding bringing up an adult. I always put the adult in a funny situation and the kids go nuts, so I have always found that to be successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

casmith518 wrote:
And regarding bringing up an adult. I always put the adult in a funny situation and the kids go nuts, so I have always found that to be successful.

I don't think that sounds like a good idea, since the adults are the ones who pay you and they might not like it to much if they are the subject of a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:01 pm 
Penguin

I've been doing kids shows and working with children for the last 4-5 years. I've learnt a lot during this time.

Firstly, I would love to say this is not the case, but age is important. People love to give young people a shot, but the thing is in a lot of paying situations being young doesnt help - trust me. People might get a bit of a shock when they see you perform and you have to sell it to them as if you are the best in the world (and give such a performance)

Secondly especially as you are working with children you may have to have background checks and such before you start working with children. (I know this is a definate in the UK where you need an enhanced criminal record disclosure - i've got 4 now! but I dont know about the US). What I do know though is many parents feel better when they know that your background has been checked out and you are a normal person (even if you are 15). This may cost you and you may need to look into this if you want to take it up on a regular basis)

Also people may presume you have whats known as Public Liability Insurance. The idea behind this is that if you are performing and say for example, you have an arm chopper and accidentally cut someones arm off, or if you use flash paper and some how manage to set the house on fire, you are covered by insurance to replace what is damaged, not get sued for everything you own. Now I know that insurance of this type is expensive (considering you usually need a min of $1 000 000 cover) so if you dont have it I'd suggest being careful with your act and not doing anything of any risk to anyone, such as the arm chopper. (On a side note, if you are working for a resturant doing kids parties etc, you are generally covered by their insurance) But from what I can see of your set it shouldnt be a problem.

I cant really think of anything else I can say that already hasnt been said. I know this isnt exactly the most interesting stuff, but its remarkably important

Oh and for the record, I would not reccomend an arm chopper at kids parties... too many scared children

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 pm 
born to perform.

Dont get me started on CRB checks, I have so so many around the house. Literally more than 15.

Fortunately in October 2009 the Independant Safeguarding Authority comes into force, and people no longer have to decide if you are safe to work with children based on a CRB disclosure. They decide for you, and if you are you go on their register.

Is a much better system, and much cheaper. Although some places will still need a CRB, especially if it is not just children they are concerned about, banking for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:12 pm 
Penguin

I have about 7 or 8 expired ones, only 4 which are active
--------
But I guess that means I've got a load more forms to fill out soon! But still for any performers its always better to be safe rather then sorry (and theres a year to wait for the ISA in the UK)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm 
born to perform.

In the US you do not need background checks-- although it would probably be a good thing! As to insurance, that is always a good thing in my opinion. We did a lot of research and found it difficult to get insurance for a minor, however Performers of the US will insure minors. (SAM will not, even if a member-- and I believe there is some problem with their insurance for adults now as well? I don't really remember what I heard about it as I wasn't paying much attention since it didn't effect us).

I do think it is important for adults to be at a certain comfort level when hiring a youth performer. What I do on my daughter's website, aside from listing magic awards & testimonials-- I also have an academic award section. This way they can see just how dedicated a type of person she is. I list all her academic awards dating back to Junior High. Her website also states that the majority of her fee goes towards her college fund, which is something that my husband and I have insisted. We pay for all her magic, but we want her to learn to save for her future. People really seem to like that she is working to help save for college-- and since she is "hoping" to go to Stanford, she/we are going to need all the extra funds we can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:43 pm 
born to perform.

salmononius2 wrote:
casmith518 wrote:

I don't think that sounds like a good idea, since the adults are the ones who pay you and they might not like it to much if they are the subject of a joke.

Actually you can put Adults into the show very successfully. The needle thru the balloon I bring up an adult to show kids how easy magic can be. If an Adult can do it anyone can do it.
I tell the Adult that I picked them cause they appear to be a good thinker. I then tell them that they have to 'become' the needle for this trick to work.
I then have them do a little 'be the needle' dance so the trick can work. Of course it doesn't. I try it...doesn't work. I then bring up a child booyah
it works.
I also do a ventriloquit skit with five Dad's...I turn them into vent puppets. Everyone including the Adults gets a kick out of it.
So tastefully done you can use Adults in the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:09 am 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
In the US you do not need background checks-- although it would probably be a good thing! As to insurance, that is always a good thing in my opinion. We did a lot of research and found it difficult to get insurance for a minor, however Performers of the US will insure minors. (SAM will not, even if a member-- and I believe there is some problem with their insurance for adults now as well? I don't really remember what I heard about it as I wasn't paying much attention since it didn't effect us).

I do think it is important for adults to be at a certain comfort level when hiring a youth performer. What I do on my daughter's website, aside from listing magic awards & testimonials-- I also have an academic award section. This way they can see just how dedicated a type of person she is. I list all her academic awards dating back to Junior High. Her website also states that the majority of her fee goes towards her college fund, which is something that my husband and I have insisted. We pay for all her magic, but we want her to learn to save for her future. People really seem to like that she is working to help save for college-- and since she is "hoping" to go to Stanford, she/we are going to need all the extra funds we can get.

Insurance! Can you go into a little more detail? When I think insurance a young lady doing a magic show doesn't come to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:20 am 

casmith518 wrote:
Insurance! Can you go into a little more detail? When I think insurance a young lady doing a magic show doesn't come to mind.

If you perform you better have insurance. You NEED performers liability insurance to cover your butt in case anything goes wrong. You have a child step up to help you and she trips, you can be sued even if it is in the birthday person's house. A prop falls on a kid, you're in trouble. To perform without insurance is begging for trouble. I have never had a claim in 12 years but I gladly pay the $200 a year just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:27 am 
Team Penguin

I agree...I have it, and wouldn't be caught without it. If you decide to get it, just make sure it applies to your show...some things might not be covered if you use certain animals or fire. For that you might need a different entertainer's insurance.

You can get it through the IBM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next