View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Softest Coins?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

I recently found out that I have a coin shop about a mile away from my house, and I plan on heading out there.

But which coins should I get? I am looking for the softest/quietest coins. Primarily because I will be using them for 3Fly and Long Gone Silver - both require very soft coins. Right now I use JFK half's, but I find them too loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:30 pm 
born to perform.

If you are going to do a Three Fly, you need silver dollar sized coins. You need them, half dollar size coins won't work as well. The best coins to use are soft Morgans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 pm 
Team Penguin

I own a few soft Barber halves and they work just fine for me. I do a coins across routine into the spectators hands and they often cannot close their hand around 3 coins that are stacked sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:54 am 

I use halves for Three Fly all the time. Never had a problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:14 am 
born to perform.

my barbers are just about as silent when I rub them against eachother as when I rub two cards against eachother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I use halves for Three Fly all the time. Never had a problem with it.

It doesn't give the full impact that silver dollars do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:09 pm 
Team Penguin

Full impact? Wth does that even mean? Nobody will even know the difference unless you are doing it in front of 50 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 am 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
Full impact? Wth does that even mean? Nobody will even know the difference unless you are doing it in front of 50 people.

The size difference is pretty big between a half and a dollar. It does give a bigger impact. I use halves mostly, just because they're what I use for the rest of my coin work. Occasionally I'll do English Pennies, but not often.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm 
Team Penguin

Ook so if I'm doing a 3 fly with silver half dollars right in front of somebody, They won't see the magic happen? If I'm doing a 3 fly in a bigger venue (maybe 150-200 people) The silver dollars are going to look just like halves to most of the people. Using silver dollars in my opinion are kind of over selling it when you are working right in front of somebody. Plus halves are easier to manipulate in some effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
Ook so if I'm doing a 3 fly with silver half dollars right in front of somebody, They won't see the magic happen? If I'm doing a 3 fly in a bigger venue (maybe 150-200 people) The silver dollars are going to look just like halves to most of the people. Using silver dollars in my opinion are kind of over selling it when you are working right in front of somebody. Plus halves are easier to manipulate in some effects.

Trust me, I've done them both. Also, your pretty much arguing against Chris Kenner, creator of Three Fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:33 pm 

Why? Are you Chris?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:03 pm 
Team Penguin

Trust me, I have used both and Halves are more better for me. Chris Kenner isn't even present and he certainly did not create 3 fly. And even if he did, Why should it matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
Trust me, I have used both and Halves are more better for me. Chris Kenner isn't even present and he certainly did not create 3 fly. And even if he did, Why should it matter?

They might be better for you...is that because of your hand size? Chris Kenner certainly DID create Three Fly, because Vacation Coins Across can not be considered one. He's had tons of experience performing this, so he knows which works better for a lay audience.

That's why the top pros use silver dollars: Todd Lassen, Bob Kohler, Mark Mason, Daryl, Chris Kenner, and more. There is a reason for it.

And that's WHY The Fly has been released in Morgans, and that's why U3F was released in Morgans. And that's WHY U3F2 will be released in Morgans. They're more popular...for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:41 pm 

You keep calling Townsend's creation "Vacation Coins Across." Is there a reason for this? I always thought it was "Visual Coins Across."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

I use halves for my usual walkaround, casual, for-friends kind of magic. Close-up for a few people.

For 15 or more, from a larger distance, silver dollars or poker chips are more visible.

Again, just my opinion.

-JT