View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
Well how is it different? 3 fly uses 1 less coin so they are different? Thats like selling a trick and claiming it's different because you use different colored cards or something.

If you don't know the difference between Three Fly and Coins Across, you shouldn't be having this argument! And no, that's definitely NOT the difference.

Three Fly happens at chest level, making it a better, in my opinion, because they get to see and remember your face. Look at Daryl's Three Fly III, and notice that he has the coins at chest level.

On the contrary, Coins Across is generally done with your hands near your belt. Open hands or closed hands, it makes no difference. Look at any Coins Across and notice where there hand is.

And THAT'S the difference between Three Fly and Coins Across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:52 pm 
Team Penguin

What does seeing your face have anything to do with it? By doing it lower, It allows you to relax a bit more, cover your angles, and put all attention on the coins and really stress them going from hand to hand. When you have them in the air by your face, you have everything around you to distract your spectators. i'm taking this into PM. Lets get back on topic here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

No need. Three Fly helps your audience remember YOU as a magician, because they see you more. You are moving the performance space to your face, allowing them to remember you. If you do magic at waist level, you will more likely have them remember your hands. Also, performing Three Fly has good angles. For example, if you use U3F, or any one for that matter, your body coveres any angle behind you. If you are performing at a table, people usually aren't at your extreme sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:59 am 
born to perform.

Taken directly from Theory11:

Quote:
In his first career as a close-up magician, although now known more as a comedy magician, Chris Kenner was one of those rare individuals who was not only proficient, but highly influential in both card magic and coin magic. His best-known creations are Threefly (arguably the most influential coin trick of the last 50 years) and the Sybil cut (which helped inspired a generation of card flourish enthusiasts). His best-selling book Totally Out of Control features over two dozen of his other close-up creations. An additional handful of original routines were featured in his first book, The Right Stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 am 

I wouldn't mistake Theory11 with a magic history site, they're just another marketing team.

Nobody's arguing that he didn't create the routine called "Three Fly" but if you're going to be accurate about it you must mention that he didn't originate the concept, only reworked and published someone else's creation. They're careful to not say it's his "original" work. They said there was "other" original work in his book. Three Fly wasn't one of them. You have to dig deeper than the most recent advertising hype to know what you're getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:29 pm 
Team Penguin

Thanks Dave. Let me just assure I have the facts straight now. He didnt create the original concept, But he came up with ways to better the routine? Is that correct? Was "Three fly" even in the book? I know he had manege et trois (SC) But I dont recall seing it in the contents list. Correct me if I'm wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:39 pm 

Yes, that's correct. I don't have the book in front of me so I could be wrong, but yes I think it's in there. I think it was published by Chris even earlier in his Magic Man Examiner magazine that he put out a few years before that with Homer Liwag. That's where I learned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:09 pm 
born to perform.

As I said before (this is straight from TOOC): It was first published in Magic Man Examiner (1991) and Three Fly. His final version was published in TOOC in 1992 under the name Menage Et Trois.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:07 pm 
born to perform.

Check out Eric Jones' new, refined handling of Kenner's Three Fly.

http://www.kozmomagic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:42 pm 
Team Penguin

Ok, Cool. Thanks. Isn't it against the rules to post links to another vendor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

I think it only is if Penguin has it, and since it's not released yet Penguin doesn't have it.