View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: urgent. How much should I charge?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:31 pm 
Penguin

Okay so here's the deal. I got asked by one of my friends moms to do a Christmas party, there will be at least 30 kids there, and there about I'm guessing 4,5,6 - 8 maybe ? Well that's what I was told. So i have just over a month to figure out what to do. I have balloon school by Joe Montella, which I'm learning from, I know how to do juggle. And I'm going to order some kids tricks. Now here's the thing. I need to figure out a routine quickly but still making a good routine, now, what tricks should I have in my routine, and how much should I be charging ? I'm thirteen and this is going to be my first "gig". So here are the questions I have.

Which tricks should be Involved? I'm doing a 30 minute show then 30 minutes of some walking around and making balloons for people and juggling.

And how much should I charge? I don't want too little but I don't want too much.

PS. Most of you are wondering why it says urgent when I have just over a month. Well i would like to start ordering within 2 more days, and my mom has to send back the email TODAY. So that would be why it says urgent.

Thanks in return.

EDIT : okay well im not doing the kids show, but doing the balloons and stuff, will that take me along time to learn? and how much should I charge for just that? for an hour by the way.

EDIT: this is getting off topic ill make a new thread. sorry.

Last edited by gajb on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:35 pm 
born to perform.

Cancel, seriously. A month is not enough time to buy, read the books (you are going to get books on performing for kids, aren't you?), put together a show, and rehearse it to get everything down perfectly.

If you are comfortable with doing the walk around for adults, then stick with that. But don't do the kids show. It's better not to do the show, than to gain yourself a bad reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:37 pm 
Penguin

ayli wrote:
Cancel, seriously. A month is not enough time to buy, read the books (you are going to get books on performing for kids, aren't you?), put together a show, and rehearse it to get everything down perfectly.

If you are comfortable with doing the walk around for adults, then stick with that. But don't do the kids show. It's better not to do the show, than to gain yourself a bad reputation.

Yeah, okay I see what you mean ill cancel the kids show then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:29 pm 
Penguin

i already posted my thoughts on you charging anything.
I also think you should not even offer the balloons until much closer to the event. Since you are not doing the show (thank God, you would have been eaten alive) hopefully they have found a suitable entertainer. If they have found an entertainer (at least a $200 investment on their part) this entertainer may also sell them the opportunity of having balloon animals. I know I would have. So if you offer to do it then you will be stepping on his/her toes and hurting yourself in the market place.

When its about a week away ask you mother to ask the person in charge if there is entertainment. If there is find out if they are doing balloons. If not then feel free to offer to do it for COST. They will probably give a few bucks extra but it will definitely be a learning experience and that is what you need most of all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:08 pm 
Penguin

Glamourboy wrote:
i already posted my thoughts on you charging anything.
I also think you should not even offer the balloons until much closer to the event. Since you are not doing the show (thank God, you would have been eaten alive) hopefully they have found a suitable entertainer. If they have found an entertainer (at least a $200 investment on their part) this entertainer may also sell them the opportunity of having balloon animals. I know I would have. So if you offer to do it then you will be stepping on his/her toes and hurting yourself in the market place.

When its about a week away ask you mother to ask the person in charge if there is entertainment. If there is find out if they are doing balloons. If not then feel free to offer to do it for COST. They will probably give a few bucks extra but it will definitely be a learning experience and that is what you need most of all.

Okay thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 am 
born to perform.

Congratulations for being mature enough to pass on this show. It is hard to pass up a gig, especially when you are young and eager. You should be proud of yourself for doing the right thing. However, it is not too early to start preparing for your NEXT show!

Putting together a show is a long process. First you have to think up a theme. Then you have to figure your original patter, because you don't want to use the canned patter that came with the trick. I mean think about it-- everyone uses the canned patter and do you really want to be like everyone else or do you want to stand out? You have to make sure that each flows from one to another. As you can see it is a long process.

It took my daughter and I months to develop a routine, and then it took her months to rehearse it to the point it was ready for an audience. As a youth performer you have to work twice as hard as an adult performer because you want to earn their respect, and you have to convince the client you are worth hiring-- especially when you are charging the same rates! You also really need to make sure that you have a good relationship to the other magicians in the area. Their friendship and support is so important. They will help to take your studies the extra mile and they will even help promote you if they like you.

Check around your area to see if there is a SYM assembly or IBM youth group in your area. This would be the ideal situation if you do. Just go to their websites and you can find out from there.

I love to see the youth succeed and hope you find success in your future! Magic can be a lot of hard worth it, but it is also worth it. You will be amazed by all the different skill sets you will learn when you study the art of magic.

Good luck to you.

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:34 pm 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
Congratulations for being mature enough to pass on this show. It is hard to pass up a gig, especially when you are young and eager. You should be proud of yourself for doing the right thing. However, it is not too early to start preparing for your NEXT show!

Putting together a show is a long process. First you have to think up a theme. Then you have to figure your original patter, because you don't want to use the canned patter that came with the trick. I mean think about it-- everyone uses the canned patter and do you really want to be like everyone else or do you want to stand out? You have to make sure that each flows from one to another. As you can see it is a long process.

It took my daughter and I months to develop a routine, and then it took her months to rehearse it to the point it was ready for an audience. As a youth performer you have to work twice as hard as an adult performer because you want to earn their respect, and you have to convince the client you are worth hiring-- especially when you are charging the same rates! You also really need to make sure that you have a good relationship to the other magicians in the area. Their friendship and support is so important. They will help to take your studies the extra mile and they will even help promote you if they like you.

Check around your area to see if there is a SYM assembly or IBM youth group in your area. This would be the ideal situation if you do. Just go to their websites and you can find out from there.

I love to see the youth succeed and hope you find success in your future! Magic can be a lot of hard worth it, but it is also worth it. You will be amazed by all the different skill sets you will learn when you study the art of magic.

Good luck to you.

~ Kristen

Wow thanks. Yeah, I really see your point. Ill get started soon. Yes, I have already cancelled the show, and also I am in an SYM group. A really good group actually. Thanks again. Ill let you guys know when I have my first kids show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:28 pm 
Penguin

Just FYI, most area magicians are pulling balloon animals from their shows due to children swallowing or getting choked on pieces of a popped balloon. As a medic for a large city in Alabama, we have run on several kids within the last few months to dislodge pieces and one DOA. So, to all who still make them, please be careful...the magician who gave a 3 year old child a poodle is now facing criminal charges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:14 am 
born to perform.

fire_n_drummer wrote:
Just FYI, most area magicians are pulling balloon animals from their shows due to children swallowing or getting choked on pieces of a popped balloon. As a medic for a large city in Alabama, we have run on several kids within the last few months to dislodge pieces and one DOA. So, to all who still make them, please be careful...the magician who gave a 3 year old child a poodle is now facing criminal charges.

That is why I a) have insurance and b) if the child is 3 or younger i only give it to the child with the parent's permission, explaining (in very nice words) that it could be dangerous.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:24 pm 
Penguin

gajb wrote:
ayli wrote:

Yeah, okay I see what you mean ill cancel the kids show then.
I think it's great that you were responsible enough to cancel the show realizing that you may not be able to provide an adequate amount of entertainment to actually 'entertain.' I've been performing for about 8 years now, have many shows under my belt, and I very recently didn't accept a show because I knew I couldn't provide the proper entertainment for the size of this certain group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 pm 
Penguin

fire_n_drummer wrote:

To rid yourself of any problem like this ALWAYS hand the balloon to the parents. If they decide to give it to their child then that is their responsibility then.

Also, have insurance. Liability insurance can be found at an extremely cheap rate.