View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 100 foot rope tie underwater?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 am 
Penguin

I'm just starting looking into escapology and began with the 100 foot rope tie for obvious reasons.

Could this be performed underwater? I can envision friction/tangling/floaty rope problems with the combination of rope and water and I also realise there is an unpredictability to the rope tie which could make it potentially dangerous but it seems to me if it's doable and not insanely dangerous it would be a very strong escape.

Don't worry, I have no plans to start performing underwater escapes in a months time or anything like that, just "fishing" for some ideas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am 

How would you be tied up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:17 am 

Criss Angel did it underwater so it couldn't be that hard. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:12 am 
born to perform.

what's with everyone planning water escapes? :lol:
I've seen a few not-so-great escape artists do it, it is doable, just obviously practice (on land, then with your head above water, one step at a time etc.) and take the necessary precautions to avoid drowning - assistants/lifeguards to save you as soon as you signal them that something has gone wrong. Just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 am 
Penguin

I was just curious for the future... here in Taiwan people are very scared of water. Drowning is one of the top forms of accidental death and a majority of people can't swim.

Kind of crazy on an island with regular typhoons...

Actually the flashy escape I have planned involves a motorcycle, a long noose, and my neck :wink:

*Edit* - Exodus I mean a 100 foot spectator rope tie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:17 am 
Emperor Penguin

Doing it underwater adds many different difficulties. Is it possible, yes. But before doing it, I would highly advised increasing your lung capacity. Simply, if you do this in full view, you don't want to pop up in a couple of seconds. And most likely, it will take a couple of minutes to get untied. The longer you can hold your breath, the better.

The ropes becoming wet can also cause a problem. Some knots simply aren't made to get wet. If they do, they become increasingly difficult to free oneself from. The rope will even make a difference. You don't want a rope that will swell up. Personally, the couple of times that I've performed this underwater, I've used nylon rope. I also recommend a wet-suit, or at least some tight fitting clothes. It will save your skin from being damaged, but won't get in the way so much. Rope burns can hurt, and are more serious when they are under water.

It's a dangerous stunt. You will want supervision, so people can rescue you in the chance that you simply can't free yourself. When I was practicing this, I had 3 people with me at all time. And I can't tell you how many times they had to rescue me. The first attempts that I made at this were failures (during practice). You will quickly learn that you have to compensate for other variables that aren't common on land.

You will also have to learn how to relax yourself. If you panic, you will fail. You also have to work quickly, but at the same time, not frantically. You want small movements, that are quick, but smooth. You don't want to be wasting energy, or oxygen by flailing your arms around.

The tie is also important. When I performed this live, I was sure to pick out specific people. I always picked to people. And I never picked anyone who I thought may have a lot of experience with rope tying. I wanted it as easy on me as I could. I also used a little thicker rope. It looks more forbidding, but helps out a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:19 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the great information and advice.

Underwater escapes are on the backburner for me I think there are many easier and more impressive (to a layperson) stunts to start with.

It is strange that a pretty straight forward escape can look amazingly dangerous (Let's drive a steamroller over the packing case etc) whereas any underwater stunt is probably about as dangerous as it gets but doesn't have quite the same wow factor. Although I think an underwater escape will grab any jaded cynics in your audience as they'd probably appreciate the danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have no experience with underwater rope escapes, but I have plenty of experience with cotton rope (the type all magicians love to use) in the rain. Don't use cotton rope. Use a synthetic rope. Even slip-knots can become difficult to remove once the rope gets wet as things tend to tighten up.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:32 pm 
Penguin

My first rope I just bought is synthetic rope. Although it's a little thinner than I would have liked it's very easy to untie knots in and I'd guess less likely to give rope burns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

SwankyG wrote:
My first rope I just bought is synthetic rope. Although it's a little thinner than I would have liked it's very easy to untie knots in and I'd guess less likely to give rope burns.

I have rope that is just like silk. It never burns, and makes it easier to get out of. I don't know the name of it, but the next time I buy some I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:55 pm 
born to perform.

The key to practicing an underwater rope escape is to do it with just your head above water and then using a snorkel (extended if preferred).
ALWAYS have an assistant on hand too even with your head above water.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:05 am 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Criss Angel did it underwater so it couldn't be that hard. :roll:
That's where you're wrong, sir! Your asinine statement shows me your complete ignorance of the obvious safety device Criss Angel employed to ensure his safety during that performance. And while the 100 ft of rope escape's difficulty factor is one thing, when you're under water holding you're breath, you haven't got that much time to mess around. Do try not to let your prejudice against Criss get some poor guy drowned by telling him it's a snap to escape! That's just foolish and malicious! ANY underwater escape is deadly! But you sound like a smart Alec amateur who wouldn't have a clue about escape work anyway.