View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:41 pm 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
I charge approximately $250.00 per hour and $125 for each additional hour for close-up/walk-around. (My rate is higher than the part-time performers in the area, but much lower than many full-time pro’s in the Los Angeles area).

For Restaurants, I modify the fee with the understanding that I can market myself to the patrons of the restaurant and I get dinner gratis. I also have an arrangement that if I get a higher paying gig I will not perform on the designated night that I usually perform.

The restaurants that I perform for have been approached by other magicians trying to get a gig and have underbid me; but I have learned that the Restaurant owners prefer quality over saving a few dollars. That is a reassurance of my performance quality.

So bottom line - If another magician drastically undercuts a fair market price - it hurts all professional working magicians.

If you are just starting out - perhaps you should donate your services at charity events, hospitals, boys and girls clubs, etc... So you can accumulate performance experience. Once you begin to build a reputation, you can confidently charge a professional fee and not feel guilty about it...

Thank you for your input george. I do perform at a chuch once a month for this bible club thing they have so I have some performing expirience. 1 question I have for you is: for each additional hour past what? You say, "I charge approximately $250.00 per hour and $125 for each additional hour for close-up/walk-around." I don't quite understand.

# to all: what was your starting rate at a resturaunt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 am 

Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
DerZauberer wrote:
I charge approximately $250.00 per hour and $125 for each additional hour for close-up/walk-around. (My rate is higher than the part-time performers in the area, but much lower than many full-time pro’s in the Los Angeles area).

For Restaurants, I modify the fee with the understanding that I can market myself to the patrons of the restaurant and I get dinner gratis. I also have an arrangement that if I get a higher paying gig I will not perform on the designated night that I usually perform.

The restaurants that I perform for have been approached by other magicians trying to get a gig and have underbid me; but I have learned that the Restaurant owners prefer quality over saving a few dollars. That is a reassurance of my performance quality.

So bottom line - If another magician drastically undercuts a fair market price - it hurts all professional working magicians.

If you are just starting out - perhaps you should donate your services at charity events, hospitals, boys and girls clubs, etc... So you can accumulate performance experience. Once you begin to build a reputation, you can confidently charge a professional fee and not feel guilty about it...

Thank you for your input george. I do perform at a chuch once a month for this bible club thing they have so I have some performing expirience. 1 question I have for you is: for each additional hour past what? You say, "I charge approximately $250.00 per hour and $125 for each additional hour for close-up/walk-around." I don't quite understand.

# to all: what was your starting rate at a resturaunt?

Here is an example: Say I am hired to perform for 3 hours of strolling magic for an event. I will charge $250.00 for the 1st hour and then $125.00 for the 2nd and 3rd hours. This is for close-up only since it's relatively easy to prepare and perform. For parlor and stage work, my fee is at least double since there is equipment, props and set-up time to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:57 am 
born to perform.

That is $250 plus $125 and $125 again for a total of $500 for those that aren't sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:50 pm 
born to perform.

Oh i got it. The first post didn't say 250 for the first hour. That clears it up thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:11 am 
Penguin

A lot of good points are being made here. I think the important ones are based on the idea of if you aren't confident enough to ask for a decent rate for your performances then you should just work more charity and volunteer events until you feel worthy or what a "real professional" makes. Also always bear in mind that it's nobody's business what you make or charge but you and the customer. Good luck and knock 'em dead!

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am 
Emperor Penguin

The_Deuce wrote:
I think the important ones are based on the idea of if you aren't confident enough to ask for a decent rate for your performances then you should just work more charity and volunteer events until you feel worthy or what a "real professional" makes.

That is not good advice at all. I will not get into the whole working for free issue/debate but I will say that if you are going to accept work from charities or other "events" you had better make sure you are a top-notch performer and not some amateur who is practicing his way to paid gigs. :roll:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:02 am 

Wayne is RIGHT on this one! When you do a charity event or volunteer event the audience is really watching you. If you don't have a professional show presented in a professional way, kiss your reputation goodbye. Who is going to hire an obvious amateur for a party?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:40 pm 
Penguin

OK then where else do you suggest he gets some real audience time in? At least volunteering your services for say a nursing home or local boys club or such they wont hold you up to such a high level of professionalism and to be fair if a magician isn't up to speed he or she will embarrass themselves regardless of the gig. I stand by my post..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:47 pm 
Emperor Penguin

The_Deuce wrote:
OK then where else do you suggest he gets some real audience time in?

Once you have put your time in practicing and rehearsing, you can start performing for friends, family, acquaintances, at the bar, co-workers, office parties, dinner parties, house parties, night-clubs, etc, etc.

Being a featured entertainer (wether for free or not) is not for the un-experienced.

You said if yourself when you said "volunteering your services". Being un-experienced is no excuse for giving poor service. Period. Regardless if you tell them up-front you are not giving them professional service.

It isn't fair to them, or to their guests/clients.

Not to mention retirement / nursing homes and the such generally have an entertainment fund in which they will hire professionals. That is why it costs so much to have family member stay in there.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:06 pm 
Penguin

it really does depend on the number of restaurant magicians in your area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 pm 

ZachRandolph wrote:
it really does depend on the number of restaurant magicians in your area

No, that's wrong. it all depends on how good a performer you are. Every job has its yearly reviews by the boss and a raise is given according to you performance for the past year. Well, that's not always true. as a performer you get a review every time you work. You get a raise from your audience or you get a POOR rating. More than one POOR and you are looking for a job again. We don't get a chance to get up to speed, we hit the ground at a full run or we fail.

Sorry but real life is a female dog.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
Penguin

i meant for what you can charge, but i understand what you mean, i didnt phrase it correctly, i was believing he was already pretty good to be ready to apply for some place, so, more competition means chances to be hired are smaller unless you are better

if there are 25 (just for reference) other magicians applying in the same area of roughly the same skill level (probably intermediate) and they charge $50, if he goes and charges $75, then the others would get chosen over him unless he had some outstanding skill that they lacked

Last edited by ZachRandolph on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

The real question here is about market polution and negotiating.

If a magician (any magician) takes a job at a restaurant (or any other venue for that matter) for 10 dollars an hour it polutes the market. By that I mean, the owner of that restaurant now thinks that magic is only worth 10 dollars an hour. If he wants to hire a magician in the future and somebody gives him a more realistic price, he's not going to understand unless he's very understanding of the first situation.

I have a $500 dollar minumum now. I will say that when I first started in restaurants I didn't make nearly that much. That was more a function of my lack of ability to negotiate than my magical abilities. It really comes down to what you feel you magic is worth. I DO NOT charge $500 per hour. I tell people that I have this minimum and if they are still interested then I negotiate with them about what they recieve for their $500 dollars. I believe that every magician should do some serious reading and study on negotiation. It's maybe the most important part of being a professional performer.

Mark McCormick has an excellent audio series on negotiation. I suggest you start with that and then re-think what your magic is worth.

Good luck
Ted

Last edited by tedricpancoast on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:48 am 

ZachRandolph wrote:
...if there are 25 (just for reference) other magicians applying in the same area of roughly the same skill level (probably intermediate) and they charge $50, if he goes and charges $75, then the others would get chosen over him unless he had some outstanding skill that they lacked

Not true. I am not anything outstanding and there are magi with a lot better axcts than mine in this area. But the first thing I did was find out the going rate for this area, then I set my rate higher than what others were charging. I will say the the only night off I have is Tuesdays because I refuse to take a job that night. I go to a group of magi that get together and have beer on Tuesday nights. The other nighs I have restaurants with parties and performing for corporate sales meetings duting the day.

Yes i am busy and every year I raise my rates on Jan 1.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:18 am 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
there are magi with a lot better axcts than mine in this area.

Do they have better spelling, too? :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next