View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
what is pn? :shock:

sorry i didnt get back to you but iwas busy.. Anyway its professers nightmare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:38 am 
born to perform.

oh okay thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
what is pn? :shock:

I didn't want to ask that question because i thought I'd look like an idio. 'm glad you did . lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
born to perform.

did I look like an idiot? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:56 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
did I look like an idiot? :lol:

not at all you - looked like a complete.... im just kidding its fine. When you dont know you ask np (that stands for no problem! lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:31 pm 
born to perform.

I knew that one! clever me :) I don't mind looking dumb as long as it leaves me wiser in the future if that makes sense... ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

:D now youre making sense :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:30 pm 
born to perform.

sebishungry wrote:
I knew that one! clever me :) I don't mind looking dumb as long as it leaves me wiser in the future if that makes sense... ^^

Good thinking. lol

And no, you did not look dumb. I know I'm a bit late, but whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

Better late than never

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:38 am 
born to perform.

I've been working on my kids act for about 2 months and have my first paid gig in December.

After a lot of research, practice and routining, here's my kid's show line-up:

D'Lites to music (intro)
Bruce Kalver's Shrinking and Expanding Head Illusion (opener)
Wizard Ring (my version of ring and string routine ala Ring Leader)
Dye Tube routine
Sponge Bunnies
Slush Powder gag
Ambitious Puppy (my kid version of ACR)
Magic Coloring Book
Professor's Nightmare
Two Dollar Window
Flag Blendo using a Creative Change Cap
Magic Drawing Board with the Art-o-matic routine (closer)

By the way, here is some good routine ideas for the Professor's Nightmare:

http://sillymagic.com/professor.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:19 pm 

That is 12, count 'em, TWELVE effects for one show. Remember this is a KID'S SHOW, so how long is their attention span. Also remember that to be successful you have to ENTERTAIN the kids.

With the above thoughts my question is how can you entertain anybody just doing tricks? My dye tube effect runs 5 minutes, the professor's nightmare is a MINIMUM of 10 to 12 minutes long. I know you can do it in under 2 minutes but that is just cutting rope and not surprising the kids with a magical ending.

You have about 2 minutes per trick and I don't see how you can do that and entertain. The magic drawing board Art o matic routine is a good 10 minutes if you do it as they routine it for you. What you need is 4 effects for a 30 minute show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:26 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
That is 12, count 'em, TWELVE effects for one show. Remember this is a KID'S SHOW, so how long is their attention span. Also remember that to be successful you have to ENTERTAIN the kids.

With the above thoughts my question is how can you entertain anybody just doing tricks? My dye tube effect runs 5 minutes, the professor's nightmare is a MINIMUM of 10 to 12 minutes long. I know you can do it in under 2 minutes but that is just cutting rope and not surprising the kids with a magical ending.

You have about 2 minutes per trick and I don't see how you can do that and entertain. The magic drawing board Art o matic routine is a good 10 minutes if you do it as they routine it for you. What you need is 4 effects for a 30 minute show.

Good advice. I've video taped each routine and all together, it clocks in at around 45 minutes. Since, I'm new at this, I'm not accounting for interaction, laughing and ad libbing with the kids so I'm sure you're right. Every routine has been scripted and follows the general storyline of the show "Wizard in Training." If I'm running long, I already know which routines get cut.

Thanks Paddy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:42 pm 
Penguin

Of course Paddy is right you don’t need many props/effects to entertain an audience. I on the other hand use many larger effects and props but again only a handful of routines. As long as the end result is the same that is all that matters.

I want to get back on to this topic and actually urge people to avoid most of the effects listed on here. Since most of you are younger than me, I will assume that you will be presenting the effects similar to the way they come packaged. Children in major centres have seen more magic then you realise and thus have seen the canned presentation of all the "top ten" countless times. So unless you have a different approach for them please avoid most of these like the plague.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:46 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
Of course Paddy is right you don’t need many props/effects to entertain an audience. I on the other hand use many larger effects and props but again only a handful of routines. As long as the end result is the same that is all that matters.

I want to get back on to this topic and actually urge people to avoid most of the effects listed on here. Since most of you are younger than me, I will assume that you will be presenting the effects similar to the way they come packaged. Children in major centres have seen more magic then you realise and thus have seen the canned presentation of all the "top ten" countless times. So unless you have a different approach for them please avoid most of these like the plague.

I'm 46 so I just might not be younger than you. :wink:

You do make a good point about overuse of popular tricks. Thankfully, I'm in an area that has very few childrens magicians. I know the magicians (they're in my IBM ring) and I've seen their shows so there is not a lot of overlap. I've scripted the routines to fit my theme and woven in a generous amount of original storytelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:05 pm 
Penguin

Yes tbwendt you do have a few years on me :) Being older you have a different mindset then most people on here so I am sure you have taken the correct approach. I truly believe that you will have a quicker learning curve due to the ability to correctly evaluate your performance.