View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's cube in an escape act?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:08 am 
born to perform.

Hey everyone,

recently I spotted this in the new arrivals:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... p?ID=11029

I am currently working on an act revolving around the theme of escapes, I am in no rush to perfect the act before I perform it (I'll be satisfied if I am ready by next September), I wanted to ask you guys if you can think up any patter that can tie solving a rubiks cube blindfolded, to escapes?
Be creative if you can, for example i'm currently also working on a patter of objects escaping from the escape artist(/magician) (zombie ball).

Any help/ideas/comments/super negative feedback, appreciated :lol:

idea that struck me as I posted this: something to do with cube being much like a combination lock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:54 am 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
That is a tough one. You could talk about algorithms used to solve rubiks cube being very similar to algorithms used to crack the code to a lock or something. You also could do something totally different too. You could have somebody handcuff you, place a rubiks cube in your hand, and then place a silk over everything, and then when they pull the silk of, you are holding the handcuffs in one hand, and the solved rubiks cube in the other. That would be amazing. Of course these are only rough ideas, it's going to take a lot of fine- tuning to get this to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 am 

Solve it while in a straitjacket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks a lot for your replies, I really appreciate it, Dave, if you're being serious, do you have any suggestions how? :shock: (like solve it in one hand inside of the jacket?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:07 pm 

I don't know, I was just throwing the idea out there, more as a comedy bit than anything else. I've seen performers do such gags as struggling with a jacket, only to poke a hand out so they can read "Escapes for Dummies" or produce some other comedy prop. I've seen a SJ escape while balanced on a Rola Bola, and even one where he had dropped an egg down each sleeve and escaped with the eggs unbroken. His big finale was that he'd retrieve two live chickens out of each sleeve as he takes his bow.

There are a lot of things you can with that concept, just play with it a bit and see what you come up with.

Method wise, it could be as simple as using a gaffed cube, or even simpler just switch cubes as you drop the "mixed" one down one sleeve. I never expected you to actually "solve" anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:37 pm 
born to perform.

ah, okay, sounds interesting... i'll have to think about that one.